Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2
You last visited: Today at 12:27

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

About this Conquer Online 2 section

Discussion on About this Conquer Online 2 section within the Conquer Online 2 forum part of the MMORPGs category.

View Poll Results: Close the section?
Yes 5 100.00%
Yes 2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 130
About this Conquer Online 2 section

Can we just get this closed?

Reasons:
- No mods for I don't know how many years already;
- It's not active;
- Knowledgeable people left and the few that are left won't release/share anything (anymore);
- Everyone is copy pasting everything left and right;
- This section is a troll more than anything at this point.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/04/2022, 14:00   #2

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,565
I agree to have this section closed, why? Let me explain a few reasons.

1. Moderators are non-existent.
2. This forum is now flooded with Egyptians just copy and pasting other peoples work.
3. Developers -> What developers?
4. Conquer -> It is a dead game.

Ok, so just a little bit more information, Conquer online is a 2D isometric game that has been around for many many years, it is a dead game. Enough said on that.

Developers -> All the developers have left this forum because of the pure lack of interest in the game along with the fact that everything they post gets leached from this forum and placed into other Egyptian forums and then they remove credits for the original Developer claiming it to be there own.

Beside that we have the issue, if i release something as a developer, it gets downloaded 1000s of times, Nobody thanks, because apparently on this board you don't need to thank before downloading and finally, you get bombarded with private messages (the private messaging system sucks and its antiquated) or forum posts because a dumb person can't copy and paste the release to make it work.

I have many many releases here on EPVP, most of them i have removed just for this reason. The forum has now become a host for parasites who just keep opening new server threads every 2 days, and for some dumb reason the thread gets approved, the websites don't have a link back to epvp and the post is basically a copy paste or some simple text in 72 font size. Again no moderation here.

I think for the future of EPVP having the Conquer online forum closed would be very beneficial.

I also think for people to download releases by developers, based on the developer reputation, they could at least have an option to only allow downloads by users who thank there post / have a minimal registered time in the forum or have a minimum post count.

Oh and the members that have been active for the last 15 years, don't seem to get rewarded with any loyalty program. Just the same treatment as a person who joined 10 minutes ago.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/04/2022, 14:08   #3

If a section is closed are old threads still accessible or does it become archived and then inaccessible? For developers such as my partner and myself this section of the forums along with other boards like Cooldown are invaluable for tapping the knowledge of devs in the scene from years ago for the nuances that aren't immediately apparent in the conquer client. While the game may be dead since it is from 15 years ago, some of us have a passion for this game and would still like to see our projects through.

That being said - most of the time threads on this forum these days lead to disappointment... I would hate to see the vast wealth of knowledge scattered through various threads here become inaccessible though.

Just my 2 cents as well.
Old 01/04/2022, 14:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimation View Post
I agree to have this section closed, why? Let me explain a few reasons.

1. Moderators are non-existent.
2. This forum is now flooded with Egyptians just copy and pasting other peoples work.
3. Developers -> What developers?
4. Conquer -> It is a dead game.

Ok, so just a little bit more information, Conquer online is a 2D isometric game that has been around for many many years, it is a dead game. Enough said on that.

Developers -> All the developers have left this forum because of the pure lack of interest in the game along with the fact that everything they post gets leached from this forum and placed into other Egyptian forums and then they remove credits for the original Developer claiming it to be there own.

Beside that we have the issue, if i release something as a developer, it gets downloaded 1000s of times, Nobody thanks, because apparently on this board you don't need to thank before downloading and finally, you get bombarded with private messages (the private messaging system sucks and its antiquated) or forum posts because a dumb person can't copy and paste the release to make it work.

I have many many releases here on EPVP, most of them i have removed just for this reason. The forum has now become a host for parasites who just keep opening new server threads every 2 days, and for some dumb reason the thread gets approved, the websites don't have a link back to epvp and the post is basically a copy paste or some simple text in 72 font size. Again no moderation here.

I think for the future of EPVP having the Conquer online forum closed would be very beneficial.

I also think for people to download releases by developers, based on the developer reputation, they could at least have an option to only allow downloads by users who thank there post / have a minimal registered time in the forum or have a minimum post count.

Oh and the members that have been active for the last 15 years, don't seem to get rewarded with any loyalty program. Just the same treatment as a person who joined 10 minutes ago.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Agree 100%.

I released this almost 7 years ago, has over 300 downloads and only 5 thanks. What's the point?
I know this was re-released on an Egyptian forum (I have seen the post) where somebody just claimed it as his own.

Your situation is even worse, where the downloads easily go over 1k and probably never reached 100 thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyaccountokay View Post
If a section is closed are old threads still accessible or does it become archived and then inaccessible? For developers such as my partner and myself this section of the forums along with other boards like Cooldown are invaluable for tapping the knowledge of devs in the scene from years ago for the nuances that aren't immediately apparent in the conquer client. While the game may be dead since it is from 15 years ago, some of us have a passion for this game and would still like to see our projects through.

That being said - most of the time threads on this forum these days lead to disappointment... I would hate to see the vast wealth of knowledge scattered through various threads here become inaccessible though.

Just my 2 cents as well.
Archiving without the ability to post is an option. Information is already completely scattered, the search generally doesn't even show what you are searching for (even though the threads etc. exist).

Unless you have been around for a while you potentially know that a certain piece of information exists.
If that isn't the case you won't have any idea, I blame the dated forum software for that.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/04/2022, 20:01   #5

elite*gold: 80
I know how you can achieve this without any input from the community or board owners...Stop visiting this forum.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/04/2022, 23:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
I know how you can achieve this without any input from the community or board owners...Stop visiting this forum.
I know how you can be of use to everyone here... Leave the thread.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/05/2022, 00:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
that would be the opinion of anyone who just comes here to leach
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/05/2022, 09:11   #8

elite*gold: 223
In my opinion the board should be closed. It is a breeding ground for Egyptian 'hackers' that copy paste the same cheat over and over again. As soon as something nice is released they're like flies on a pile of **** and ruin everything. This 'If I cannot have it, nobody can have it' mentallity is what kills this board and blocks any future developers from releasing information or tools. The CO community is toxic and it might have been my own fault for expecting to have changed the last 15 years, but time does not progress here.

Since CO has activated more of their intrusive anti-cheat (and probably more and more aggresive in the future), most of the information found on the forums is outdated anyway.

Regarding the packet information that is 'valueable'; there are other forums out there that have informative wikis and active moderators. One simple google search will lead you to a wiki with all the packets you will ever need to start developing a private server or proxy.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/07/2022, 20:46   #9

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
I think Santa's right... and I don't think there's a reason to close the Conquer Online forums here. It's no benefit to Elitepvpers when they already put no extra cost / time into maintaining the section. Ultimately, if you don't like how things are run here, then you could leave. Things haven't changed here in a decade, and aren't going to change because we complained again.

Elitepvpers would be a bit silly to put a lot of time and investment back into this community again, to be honest. And there're other forums out there as well that already do that. The small one I'm on is making slow progress towards building a hobbyist community for Conquer (open-source C3 blender plugins, open-source launchers, disassembly tutorials, etc). Just google "Conquer Online private server development forums" and you'll find a Reddit post about it, as well as other options. You shouldn't expect epvp to solve this.

Something I'll add though: calling people parasites for downloading available projects is not okay. That's gatekeeping. I think you all have lost the spirit and idea of what open source gives to a community. There are always going to be bad actors in every private server community; you don't have control over that. What you do have control over is what you contribute, and those open source contributions help everyone: they reduce time and cost in developing new projects, share tooling and knowledge, help identify security issues, and help the community build up rather than scavenge for scraps.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/08/2022, 13:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
I think Santa's right... and I don't think there's a reason to close the Conquer Online forums here. It's no benefit to Elitepvpers when they already put no extra cost / time into maintaining the section. Ultimately, if you don't like how things are run here, then you could leave. Things haven't changed here in a decade, and aren't going to change because we complained again.

Elitepvpers would be a bit silly to put a lot of time and investment back into this community again, to be honest. And there're other forums out there as well that already do that. The small one I'm on is making slow progress towards building a hobbyist community for Conquer (open-source C3 blender plugins, open-source launchers, disassembly tutorials, etc). Just google "Conquer Online private server development forums" and you'll find a Reddit post about it, as well as other options. You shouldn't expect epvp to solve this.

Something I'll add though: calling people parasites for downloading available projects is not okay. That's gatekeeping. I think you all have lost the spirit and idea of what open source gives to a community. There are always going to be bad actors in every private server community; you don't have control over that. What you do have control over is what you contribute, and those open source contributions help everyone: they reduce time and cost in developing new projects, share tooling and knowledge, help identify security issues, and help the community build up rather than scavenge for scraps.
you are wrong, and as your signature states, you left a long time ago, so your wrong opinion doesn't even count.

I would also like to add, who are you to actively take things from this forum and post them on your own? You are basically being as bad as the leachers. Your whole forum is basically stuff taken from here and i am sure 90% of it is without the original authors permission.
Old 01/08/2022, 22:01   #11

Quote:
you are wrong, and as your signature states, you left a long time ago, so your wrong opinion doesn't even count.

I would also like to add, who are you to actively take things from this forum and post them on your own? You are basically being as bad as the leachers. Your whole forum is basically stuff taken from here and i am sure 90% of it is without the original authors permission.
Hm... Sounds like you're trying to gate-keep me from the community. Not sure what your goal is here, besides bullying people around and kicking out everyone you think is unworthy. You've always been a bully, though.

And I'm curious, which threads do you think I stole from here? Do you mean the clients thread I wrote and already made mirrors for? Or the popular sources thread I wrote and already made mirrors for? Maybe the wiki I wrote? Or any of my open source projects I wrote? The patch descriptions thread I wrote? The beginners guide I wrote? Any of the tutorials I wrote? The flash hook I asked your permission for indirectly since you refuse to talk to me? Again, not sure what your goal is here.

I know what my goal is: to make knowledge available to everyone, not just some elite group of senior developers. Literally all of my projects that are allowed to be open-source through my work are open source. It's not my job to be gatekeeper, nor do I think it's a good idea to do that. Once my work is released to the community, it's totally free game. As long as the software license is upheld. And that's the way I think it should be. Sure, some people are going to abuse it - but some people are also going to be helped by it, and that's a huge win in my books.
Old 01/08/2022, 22:13   #12

Quote:
Hm... Sounds like you're trying to gate-keep me from the community. Not sure what your goal is here, besides bullying people around and kicking out everyone you think is unworthy. You've always been a bully, though.

And I'm curious, which threads do you think I stole from here? Do you mean the clients thread I wrote and already made mirrors for? Or the popular sources thread I wrote and already made mirrors for? Maybe the wiki I wrote? Or any of my open source projects I wrote? The patch descriptions thread I wrote? The beginners guide I wrote? Any of the tutorials I wrote? The flash hook I asked your permission for indirectly since you refuse to talk to me? Again, not sure what your goal is here.

I know what my goal is: to make knowledge available to everyone, not just some elite group of senior developers. Literally all of my projects that are allowed to be open-source through my work are open source. It's not my job to be gatekeeper, nor do I think it's a good idea to do that. Once my work is released to the community, it's totally free game. As long as the software license is upheld. And that's the way I think it should be. Sure, some people are going to abuse it - but some people are also going to be helped by it, and that's a huge win in my books.
I am not bullying, On your server thread, did you actually go to everyone who wrote the code and ask them if it is ok that you host them on your own forum? Secondly, your wiki, the tq binary hack tools, i don't ever remember giving you permission to host my work on your wiki, even if they are only link backs to here. You are using other peoples information and knowledge to advance yourself, Just like you did with your job, using other peoples code as examples on server architecture to advance your job. Piss of mate, you are just another leach, go figure shit out for yourself idiot.

When you was a moderator here, you actively linked back to your own external forums. Similar to what you are basically doing now. If you don't want to be here, then don't be, it is that simple. Don't just come in here after leaving for years giving your opinion on something that doesn't concern you, all though i guess it does concern you, because you want to keep taking peoples assets and posts to advance your forums.
Old 01/08/2022, 22:38   #13

Quote:
I am not bullying, On your server thread, did you actually go to everyone who wrote the code and ask them if it is ok that you host them on your own forum? Secondly, your wiki, the tq binary hack tools, i don't ever remember giving you permission to host my work on your wiki, even if they are only link backs to here. You are using other peoples information and knowledge to advance yourself, Just like you did with your job, using other peoples code as examples on server architecture to advance your job. Piss of mate, you are just another leach, go figure shit out for yourself idiot.

When you was a moderator here, you actively linked back to your own external forums. Similar to what you are basically doing now. If you don't want to be here, then don't be, it is that simple. Don't just come in here after leaving for years giving your opinion on something that doesn't concern you, all though i guess it does concern you, because you want to keep taking peoples assets and posts to advance your forums.
So, I'm not allowed to use the same mirrors? And I'm not allowed to link to threads from the wiki to Elitepvpers or wherever they're being hosted? I'm not allowed to advance myself using the knowledge of others? What a crazy mentality to have. And hell no, you're not getting credit for the code I wrote for my interviews or the work I put into my degree for my job. You're welcome to think I'm an idiot, but I'm proud of the work I've done to get to where I am. I'm also proud to work with others in the community who helped get me started, and proud to help others get started as well. You calling me a leach isn't going to change that or my attitude on open-source information.

And I'll host discussions about my projects wherever I chose, but I didn't link to external forums when I was a mod here. Even now, I don't advertise or say the name of the board I use. I don't agree with the admins here, but I respect their board and where it got me. I link to my website, where you can find my projects on GitLab and find safe spaces for discussing them. I had to do that because of the interruption you getting me banned was to all of my projects. I'll never again put all my eggs in one basket. So yeah, you're a bully Ult. A super elitist bully.
Old 01/08/2022, 22:58   #14

Quote:
So, I'm not allowed to use the same mirrors? And I'm not allowed to link to threads from the wiki to Elitepvpers or wherever they're being hosted? I'm not allowed to advance myself using the knowledge of others? What a crazy mentality to have. And hell no, you're not getting credit for the code I wrote for my interviews or the work I put into my degree for my job. You're welcome to think I'm an idiot, but I'm proud of the work I've done to get to where I am. I'm also proud to work with others in the community who helped get me started, and proud to help others get started as well. You calling me a leach isn't going to change that or my attitude on open-source information.

And I'll host discussions about my projects wherever I chose, but I didn't link to external forums when I was a mod here. Even now, I don't advertise or say the name of the board I use. I don't agree with the admins here, but I respect their board and where it got me. I link to my website, where you can find my projects on GitLab and find safe spaces for discussing them. So yeah, you're a bully Ult. A super elitist bully.
You must be having a mental breakdown, i remember starting a server with you, once you got what you needed from me to get your "new" job you dipped like a weasle.

Now get my work off your shitass wiki thanks. You forget your place my friend, you wouldn't even be known to be involved in the conquer reversing community if it wasn't for all of us carrying your ass along. So please think about what you are writing before writing, you are no special person, so stop acting like you are. None of my work was marked as open source. Thus you don't legally have the right to host any of it on your wiki/forums. So stop trying to play the innocent guy. You are just another leach like 90% of the conquer community here. Peace idiot.
Old 01/08/2022, 23:09   #15

Quote:
You must be having a mental breakdown, i remember starting a server with you, once you got what you needed from me to get your "new" job you dipped like a weasle.

Now get my work off your shitass wiki thanks. You forget your place my friend, you wouldn't even be known to be involved in the conquer reversing community if it wasn't for all of us carrying your ass along. So please think about what you are writing before writing, you are no special person, so stop acting like you are. None of my work was marked as open source. Thus you don't legally have the right to host any of it on your wiki/forums. So stop trying to play the innocent guy. You are just another leach like 90% of the conquer community here. Peace idiot.
Is that what you think I did? Man, I'm sorry about that. It was never my intention to abandon you and the project. I deleted it from my hard drive as well (not that it should matter, my projects all go in a completely different direction). My goal was just to help you out and try to finally get a good side of you going for the community. When my work told me I couldn't participate in the project, I wasn't happy about that. But I work for a game company now (I got hired days before I started working with you), and it's really difficult for me to even do my own work that's open-source without permission. I have legal paperwork / a contract for Chimera to work on it (And I can only work on it alone in private). I tried showing you the rejection document for our project together, but you didn't want to see it. I guess there's no convincing you, but I'm truly sorry I had to abandon our project together. It wasn't worth me jeopardizing my job over.

I'm not trying to sound innocent, but I'm also not trying to sound rude or go against your wishes. Your work is public, though. I can link to Elitepvpers and give them traffic from my GitLab wiki as examples on why you shouldn't run a TQ Binary. I think that benefits everyone, including you. It links to the original source, spreads awareness, and promotes a better community. What you're asking for is a bit ridiculous, and I'm not sure how to handle it.

Edit: And sorry... I missed the "reversing community" part. I have a hard time tracking long paragraphs and lose key words sometimes, so I re-read and edit posts a lot. I've never tried to get too much into reverse engineering... but you're right: I only know the amount I need to know to do my work, and I absolutely acknowledge I didn't just miraculously obtain that knowledge. Open source projects / free knowledge got me there. Open source projects got me started in server development and programming, too. Thing about open source though is you improve upon them. The more I developed and researched on my own, the more I grew away from those projects and built up from them. I don't think my work would still have me around if I just copied and pasted code from a dying private server community... Lol. I don't even work on game servers - I work on shared game system microservices.
Thanks
1 User
Closed Thread