The Purpose of Private Server Manifesto:
CO is going to **** with every patch. Mounts will just make it worse.
-Now is a better time than ever to get people to leave CO and go to private servers. Servers where CO is meant to be played the right way, instead of the DB way.
-The problem is we have 100 different private servers with so many people working on them, basically doing nothing new or different. In addition, people often fight, give up, become busy, get bored and the server and the work disappears.
-Why not unite, combine and make a small set of awesome private servers? Communicate and cooperate with each other, focus on merging projects, streamlining work, reusing code.
-The end result will be so much better. More stability, bigger community, more money, better quality.
Please note:
-Relaxation is not the owner nor leader, I am only proposing the idea.
-If you want to help, you can
a) Promote the idea to other people who are interested.
b) Even if you are too busy, you can just discuss thoughts and ideas in the thread.
c) Declare your interest and area of expertise.
Thanks to the work of Imitation & TruckCo.1, PSM now has a .
I'm getting a few PMs from people who are interested in starting a private server. Maybe its better to post on that forum or this one if you want to get something started.
Well, I don't have much to offer but my '****' art skills; but I basically read about the mounts and was like "thats is, going to play on a private server". The idea is good, and if we can get alot of people togeather this could potentially put and end to alot of problems.
In short, I R Liek Idea! I R Maeks picturs for it!
Well, for starters we could get togeather a list of people interested in helping setup such a server & website.
I for one am in, I can't offer much but my meger art skills and basic html knowlage. Anyone got some webspace or know of some free webspace where we could setup just a small forum to organize this?
I cannot speak for all of EPvP and our team here, but I can speak for myself.
I will gladly pin this thread after things catch up and such.
I will gladly use my domain, coemu.org, to host the website & forums that will hold topic discussion, etc. The thing is, I need funding to actually host it. I have the domain for a while longer, and will gladly renew it. If anyone is interested in paying for a plan from hostgator, just PM me about it and I can gladly set it up with you.
I've kept it rather in the dark, but under the name of the CoEmu Foundation (which was the project that started CoEmu v1 and CoEmu v2), I'm going to release compiled servers. They are going to be coded in a language other than C#, I'll probably go with Java. I've been thinking about what to do to make sure it's not more about 'having separate servers', and it's more about working together to have a few GREAT servers.
So, the work I'm releasing will only be game servers. They will connect and register with one single login server, called the CoEmu Gateway. I will create a client launcher that will contact the login server for a list of servers, and then generate a server.dat from that. Or, just have individual client downloads and server.dats. Not too sure yet.
I am more than glad to support this, and I would gladly release the methodology of how to support the CoEmu Gateway login system (which Ranny designed and I modified slightly) in older servers, or newer servers.
If we tell people to donate, we need to have something to provide to them in exchange for the donation. We need a clear idea of what the server contents and features will be.
Things to discuss will be:
-Covering costs.
-(Potential) Legal difficulties.
-Game content & features.
-How to keep everybody united and included.
We need to appeal to the masses, not niche. We also need to keep contributors/coders enjoying it and sticking with us instead of quitting to start their own project.
For now a tiny sub-forum on any site is a good enough. Should these discussions be kept in private or public?