Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2
You last visited: Today at 20:56

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

CPU usage peaks every few minutes while CO runing

Discussion on CPU usage peaks every few minutes while CO runing within the Conquer Online 2 forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old 03/11/2008, 13:05   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewlin View Post
I don't know if this helps. I've had the same problem, runaway system process that you can't see any hint beyond svchost, which could just about be anything that system runs. It has happened to me twice, the first time I had installed a custom "Hosts" file, and the DNS caching/DNS Server would max out CPU re-caching the urls. If you have installed a custom XP like LastXP, it comes with a several mb hosts file to ward off internet evils. Even without the hosts file, I still got that problem, and to be honest, DNS caching is really not necessary, so try turning it off and see if the problem resolves. If not, turn it back on.

My other issue was less general, this time it was the wireless radio on my laptop was seeking for wireless networks in the area, even if I was hardwired. Just had to turn that off, and CPU stopped jumping to 100 pct every 2 minutes. So if you have a laptop, check that one as well. It's more common a problem that I thought.

u mean turning off whole DNS client service??

and as for wireless i turned my wi-fi off just as almost all other stuff on my laptop...

btw as for memory:
it stays shown in taskmenager that usage is about 1 g,so 1g free , but i wonder y then my page file still shows usage of about 400mb???

maybe there is some way to force windows not to page-file my conquer proces if it actually happens???????
Old 03/11/2008, 13:17   #17

Yes, you ISP gives you DNS. The windows DNS servers are just to do redundant caching, so as to not bug your ISP about each URL, but the caching can get out of control on Windows.

Ya, if you are not using wireless on your laptop turn it off, make sure to turn off the wireless radio itself, and turn it back on when you need it. That way you don't have to enable/disable it through control panel, just the quick key on your laptop. It is only a problem when you are not using it, cause it will continue to look for available networks if left on.

You can't force Windows NOT to pagefile your CO, all you can tell Windows is yes or no to pagefile at all. But in this case, I think your ok, it sounds more like a CPU than a RAM/swap problem.

As for your 400 MB of swap, Windows is inefficient at managing pagingfile. If you find that you NEVER top out your RAM, then you probably don't need a paging file, save windows the trouble. A paging file can actually slow down your system, if your hard drive isn't up to speed.
Old 03/11/2008, 13:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewlin View Post
Yes, you ISP gives you DNS. The windows DNS servers are just to do redundant caching, so as to not bug your ISP about each URL, but the caching can get out of control on Windows.

Ya, if you are not using wireless on your laptop turn it off, make sure to turn off the wireless radio itself, and turn it back on when you need it. That way you don't have to enable/disable it through control panel, just the quick key on your laptop. It is only a problem when you are not using it, cause it will continue to look for available networks if left on.

You can't force Windows NOT to pagefile your CO, all you can tell Windows is yes or no to pagefile at all. But in this case, I think your ok, it sounds more like a CPU than a RAM/swap problem.

As for your 400 MB of swap, Windows is inefficient at managing pagingfile. If you find that you NEVER top out your RAM, then you probably don't need a paging file, save windows the trouble. A paging file can actually slow down your system, if your hard drive isn't up to speed.

humm i will try turning off DNS and Turning off page file well see if it helps, and my HD is 7200 rpm and 100 giga so its fast
Old 03/11/2008, 14:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojojoj View Post
like i sad process is (the) system but i dont relly know how to search what thread in that process couse most cpu usage , how can i do it with process explorer to show me something like long-time chart about what s happening inside "system" process?
There isn't any porcess "system" (btw: system idle process is a process, but does not consume cpu ). System stands for ALL processes running. Press ctrl+T to change into tree view and expand the "system" to see alle running processes. You can turn on history for cpu usage (set columns/process performance/cpu history and cpu time).

After that you have to w8 for the cpu load rasising.
Old 03/12/2008, 08:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta74 View Post
There isn't any porcess "system" (btw: system idle process is a process, but does not consume cpu ). System stands for ALL processes running. Press ctrl+T to change into tree view and expand the "system" to see alle running processes. You can turn on history for cpu usage (set columns/process performance/cpu history and cpu time).

After that you have to w8 for the cpu load rasising.

even if i turn on tree viev the high usage is still for the top on tree "system" process and not the ones iside it , and no i dont mean system idle process gowd...

turning off dns clietn doest heled at all too
Old 03/12/2008, 08:54   #21

Quote:
even if i turn on tree viev the high usage is still for the top on tree "system" process and not the ones iside it ,
Which OS do u use? If it's WinXP/2k or 2003 server the tree has to look like this:
  1. System Idle Process
    • Interrupts
    • DPCs
    • System
      • smss (session manager for windows)
      • winlogon.exe (logon manager containing windows services as svchost, virus scanners, sql servers, lsa shell, gfx modules, firewall service)
  2. Explorer.exe (contains running apps, as co)

If the "System"-load is high, the problem is OS-related, e.g. some services can cause the load. The tree has to be expandable, even if you dont log on as admin! Maybe you can post a screenie of your process explorer window?

Quote:
and no i dont mean system idle process gowd...
I just made some fun ...
Old 03/12/2008, 09:01   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta74 View Post
Which OS do u use? If it's WinXP/2k or 2003 server the tree has to look like this:
  1. System Idle Process
    • Interrupts
    • DPCs
    • System
      • smss (session manager for windows)
      • winlogon.exe (logon manager containing windows services as svchost, virus scanners, sql servers, lsa shell, gfx modules, firewall service)
  2. Explorer.exe (contains running apps, as co)

If the "System"-load is high, the problem is OS-related, e.g. some services can cause the load. The tree has to be expandable, even if you dont log on as admin! Maybe you can post a screenie of your process explorer window?

I just made some fun ...
I use Win xp pro sp2 , the tree looks exactly as u posted.
i used services.msc and msconfig to turn off ALL what is not ESSENTIAL and cant be turned off
it is still stated that "system" ,and not something inside its branch, eats my cpu
Old 03/12/2008, 10:46   #23

That sounds crazy. You mean, the branch system is empty and still consumes you cpu load?!?

The root-point "system" adds all cpu loads of the branch in one sum. If system is bigger then zero there has to be an entry

I suggest to post a screenshot of your branch system.
Old 03/12/2008, 13:21   #24

well thats what it looks like

it was screen shoted just when my lag hell appeared...
Old 03/13/2008, 09:29   #25

Your system consumes your cpu-load, so co dc's because of lagging for too long, so far so bad.

I know, you did scans for viruses. But did you scanned for rootkit viruses? They can use your cpu but are hard to detect for normal antivirus scanners. There are some special scanners to use, ask google.

Does the cpu consumption occur even if you dont use conquer? Even if you are not connected to the internet? Cut off your connection and try it. Do you use a firewall? If not, I suggest you to use one (there a some acceptable freeware solutions) to observe which apps connect to the internet. Maybe you missd some malware.

Added:
You can use process monitor, too (sysinternals). This apps shows every action a process does. You should enable the advanced output (options).

You should run eventvwr.msc and check if there are errors or warnings in the system/application section.
Old 03/13/2008, 18:29   #26

i said this be4 lol...go on task manager and make the priority of the program higher then normal.....i could run 5 clients like this on guess what....314 RAM....till i got this sexy PC.....same as urs...got a 2 weeks a go.....but just to be safe i put the priority a bit higher...
Old 03/13/2008, 22:45   #27

i kown what it is, usualy wioth the dual cores tehre clocked so tat if 1 core is useing 2 much itll split the load but this laggs games. theres a setting that allways makes it use both and allways to their max potential