Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 05:14

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Guide]How to make a good server !

Discussion on [Guide]How to make a good server ! within the CO2 PServer Guides & Releases forum part of the CO2 Private Server category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Guide]How to make a good server !

As the title says, this guide will just be giving you tips about how to have/make a good server. With good, I mean like 50+ online players.

First, let me introduce you to the kind of players who would play your server.
We have three kinds
-The newbie
They are every where. Jumping from a server to another, seeking .. nothing o.O!
They like easy servers, with high rates.
So easy to recognize when they come to the chat asking "plox doownlaad weree?"
-The experienced
They are much, but less than the newbies.
They likes hard servers.
And they are so picky about their choices.
-The beggy
We all knows that guy who asks for either cps or "GM PM PLZZZ"
I don't think I should even put any effort describing those.

Obviously, what you want in your server, is the experienced player.
Think of a server as a cake.

-The container represents the staff, source, host, website, and support. They are the base of the server. If the container is weak, it's going to melt.

-The cake it self represents the experienced players. They are hard to get but they stay forever. If you don't have them, you don't have a cake. They are what makes your server. I heard that once, can't remember where actually " Designers create half the game, the other half is created by players "

-The topping represents your newbie players. They are just followers, they will hear about your awesome cake and come to enjoy it. They makes your cake looks better as they just increase your online counter.

As you should have noticed, The hardest parts are the container and the cake and the rest follows.

The Base [Container]
-Staff
You have to be SO picky about choosing your staff. Pick experienced staff. Those who have played retail conquer and had been a staff members in other private servers before. You have to make a staff meeting every once and a while to discuss how the server is going and what should every one do in the future. DON'T every ignore a staff member or give them something stupid to do. That makes them feel useless and you will end up with a rusty staff.

-Support
If your staff member won't put effort in helping a player to download the client, then simply kick him.
You have to have 2 kinds of support teams. one team inside the game and one team out side in the chat box. Your chat box staff team shouldn't be allowed to play the game cause they are just wasting time which could be used to help other players to play the server.

-Website and forum
DON'T use stupid WOW and other templates into your CONQUER private server. Seriously, it doesn't make sense to see some photos that have NOTHING to do with your server. Link your website to your forum. The forum is crucial, you need it to progress in your goal toward success. Add section for suggestions, section for guides, and another for bugs reports.
Let your ingame support team handle those Guide sections. They have nothing to do ? Tell them to make guides to help new players.
Your suggestion section is important as well. You HAVE to take and accept suggestions from players. Discuss it in your staff meetings and see how every possible suggestion could help in improving your server performance.
Your Bugs section is deadly. If you have one bug, you don't have a server . Don't underestimate the bugs. I have seen many servers drift away cause they haven't cared about bugs. Don't be one of them.

Examples of WOW and other weird websites :

-Source
Take your time into developing your source. You don't need to start from scratch. Just make sure you know what you are doing. Don't just get a stupid source full of bugs and release your server with out even testing. Believe me, that's the way of failure. DON'T RUSH! Take your time learning programming and understanding your source. Give your self a long CLOSED beta test.

-Host
Well, you are seeking a 50+ online player at least. Make sure you have a good VPS or dedi. Not because you can DDOS attack some one that means you aren't DDOS attack-able aswell. Think wisely, buy a DDOS protected host. And use DDOS protection programs. Try to do your best about that. and Please don't buy 8$ VPS. those.. just .. sucks.

The Cake[Experienced players]
To make your cake, you are seeking your cake components, which are the experienced players.
To attract the experienced players, you need to know how does they choose their servers.
The first thing they visit in your website, is the donation page.
If you have over powered donations like level 150-200 and +12 garments and whatsoever, they will just quit and won't bother reading any thing else.
Example of over powered donations

The experienced player also wish to find a staff member online in your chatbox. If you have no one online, he won't bother playing either cause that just prove how awful your support is.
Try to make a balanced server, with low rates. Believe me, the lower it is, the more players you have. A living proof for that is conquer online it self. See how hard it is ? and see how many players play it ? Also Trinity and Love 2 Hate. They have like 400+ online players just cause they have hard servers.
Now, why does high rate servers sucks?
Cause instead of attract the long run living Experienced players, they attract newbies. And Newbies just tend to play in your high rate server, maxing out their gears. And then they just have nothing else to do. That's when Arena and other things makes sense. But it just become awful when every one in the server is maxed out. Leading to boredom and people quitting the server.
Now, why does low rate servers owns?
Cause they attract long run living experienced players. The reasons that those comes, is because when you work hard in a hard server, it pays off. Cause you might find your self one of the only five who made it to the top and maxed out their gears. You will then keeps on Pk'ing other newbies, which is REALLY FUN ! xD. So they have something to do.

Now ask your self, what attracts you to play a MMORPG ? Nothing actually. Thinking about it, the only thing that keep your players addicted to your server 24/7 is having them aiming at a goal. The reason people get addicted to a game, is because it have goals, it's like life, only thing is goals are reachable more easier. That's why people just give up on every thing, and live their little "forever alone" life, cause they see goals.
Try to use this idea in your side. Take it's advantageous and make goals to people. Give them something to die for !

Also, something that is totally ignored in the world of private servers, is the updates. One of the reasons that people play Conquer online till now, is their updates. They keep updating their game every while and then, so people have new goals and new things to do.
Try to do that !

And the last thing is your cake topping aka " newbie players" aka " noooob"
Those guys will come with the rest, they follows the big numbers, so for example if u have 50+ online, they can be 60+ online in a matter of 2 days. And you must understand that 99 % of that increase is cause of your noob players. Newbie players, usually never donate. But they are good cause they make your server so popular In other words, seek the container and the cake, and the newbies will come along.

I think that's it for now, I will try to do my best to keep this updated and also if you want more tutorials and guides on how to have a good server:

Remember to enjoy playing or making conquer private servers .

Thanks
1 User
Old 07/15/2013, 22:37   #2

elite*gold: 1142
Received Thanks: 1,161
Just follow the golden rule to a successful server:

At donation page, always (yes, always) make sure your yahoo and cellphone number are on the page, perhaps will a text "Call Ahmed 012454524343".
Old 07/15/2013, 22:53   #3

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Emil View Post
Just follow the golden rule to a successful server:

At donation page, always (yes, always) make sure your yahoo and cellphone number are on the page, perhaps will a text "Call Ahmed 012454524343".
Exactly, now you are getting it