Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 18:38

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Conquer & Async

Discussion on Conquer & Async within the CO2 Programming forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Question Conquer & Async

Someone provided me with a example script from a different source the other day for some information and I saw that they were using Asynchronous programming. My knowledge of C# is very basic and I'm trying to upgrade that so I started looking into it. I understand that it's very useful when running multiple operations at the same time, but my question stands on when and where should I be using it on Conquer.

The example that I receive was for Durability, I don't know if there's any point in doing it for that or not, since it's a simple subtraction method. I understand if it's pulling multiple things such as "Is attacking and durability is going down at the same time" but I'm not sure, I haven't really had an issue with that.

Would there be an issue or would it be an increase in productivity within the game? It's not like if 2 characters can't do the same thing at the same time. Should I be using it on all my methods or is there a chance that the server will start lagging if there's a lot of data being processed at the same time rather than a Stop-Read-Next?
Old 12/01/2022, 09:56   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Well, I wrote a skeleton server project that uses async-await patterns, if you wanted to take a look. There's also an article I wrote about multi-threaded game server design on that same page. You can check it out here: .

Generally, yeah. The tldr is: there would be problem and it does add complexity, but you could get better performance if done correctly. The async-await pattern I referenced is difficult to understand in C#, but it's getting more and more common. And then there're some async classes in C# you can use in synchronous code, but it's pretty inconsistent.