Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Main - Discussions / Questions > CO2 Programming
You last visited: Today at 09:00

  • Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

 

[Discussion]SharpDevelop vs. Visual Studio

Reply
 
Old   #1
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 151
Received Thanks: 28
[Discussion]SharpDevelop vs. Visual Studio

Which one do you find more convenient? Please post a reason for your answer.
And I'd also want to know the top 10 advantages/disadvantages about each one of them in your opinions.



CurseOfExcalibur is offline  
Old   #2
 
elite*gold: 20
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,749
Received Thanks: 2,198
I haven't used SharpDevelop, but what I like about Visual Studio is all the already declared APIs it comes with (I don't know what that is actually called (example: instead of declaring the kernel32 function "GetTickCount" you can just use Environment.TickCount.). Also the debugging features of Visual Studio are real nice (can't say anything about it in comparison with SharpDevelop though).

Visual Studio is just.. it's kinda like AutoIt, really easy to use with all the built-in APIs


IAmHawtness is offline  
Old   #3
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 151
Received Thanks: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmHawtness View Post
I haven't used SharpDevelop, but what I like about Visual Studio is all the already declared APIs it comes with (I don't know what that is actually called (example: instead of declaring the kernel32 function "GetTickCount" you can just use Environment.TickCount.). Also the debugging features of Visual Studio are real nice (can't say anything about it in comparison with SharpDevelop though).

Visual Studio is just.. it's kinda like AutoIt, really easy to use with all the built-in APIs
Your example is - I guess - related to the framework itself, because the Environment class exists in the System namespace, which is - from what i know - a part of the framework library.
SharpDevelop contains the same classes btw .
CurseOfExcalibur is offline  
Old   #4
 
elite*gold: 20
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,749
Received Thanks: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfExcalibur View Post
Your example is - I guess - related to the framework itself, because the Environment class exists in the System namespace, which is - from what i know - a part of the framework library.
SharpDevelop contains the same classes btw .
Oh well, in that case I can't help you. I thought SharpDevelop was more like an advanced notepad with syntax highlighting and stuff like that, like many of those freeware developer tools out there .

Edit:
Just took a look at it. It looks pretty similar to Visual Studio .
My bad, I confused it with something else when I said I thought it was like an advanced notepad


IAmHawtness is offline  
Thanks
1 User
Old   #5
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 151
Received Thanks: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmHawtness View Post
Oh well, in that case I can't help you. I thought SharpDevelop was more like an advanced notepad with syntax highlighting and stuff like that, like many of those freeware developer tools out there .

Edit:
Just took a look at it. It looks pretty similar to Visual Studio .
My bad, I confused it with something else when I said I thought it was like an advanced notepad
Thanks for trying anyway :P.
CurseOfExcalibur is offline  
Old   #6
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Received Thanks: 10
Visual Studio
if you use charpdev or codeblock or whatever anti-microsoft platform you will have trouble compiling some code that was made in the VS enviorment.
I.M.Real is offline  
Old   #7
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 151
Received Thanks: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.Real View Post
Visual Studio
if you use charpdev or codeblock or whatever anti-microsoft platform you will have trouble compiling some code that was made in the VS enviorment.
Actually I never had any issues compiling programs coded in VS using SharpDev 3.1, that's a first of its kind for me.
CurseOfExcalibur is offline  
Old   #8
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Received Thanks: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfExcalibur View Post
Actually I never had any issues compiling programs coded in VS using SharpDev 3.1, that's a first of its kind for me.
i might be thinking of code:block's then,I just remember using another IDE besides VS and the **** code just wouldn't work without visual studios compiling it.I'll look and see if I can find it.
I.M.Real is offline  
Old   #9
 
elite*gold: 20
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,012
Received Thanks: 2,875
I would only use Sharp Develop if you plan on modifying the compiler to do something specific; which in most cases you don't need it to.

Long live VS.
InfamousNoone is offline  
Old   #10
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 60
Received Thanks: 154
I only use sharpdevelop for CIL because it has highlighting and I created a shortcut for building :P. Although sharpdevelop has terrible memory usage. A 78mb file will run you 1-2gb of ram.

I tried it for C# and so many things drove me nuts. Can't remember all the problems but I know 1 of them was the debugger.
high9 is offline  
Old   #11
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 550
Received Thanks: 79
VS is one of the greatest IDE's around, however no plugin support (i think, only used express versions) & it still needs some touch ups.
ChingChong23 is offline  
Old   #12
 
elite*gold: 0
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 787
Received Thanks: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChong23 View Post
VS is one of the greatest IDE's around, however no plugin support (i think, only used express versions) & it still needs some touch ups.
Pro has support for extensions/plugins.


_tao4229_ is offline  
Reply

Tags
c#, programming



« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Similar Threads
Visual Studio
Moin, wollte ma fragen, welche Version ihr vom Vusial Studio benutzt ;D ich benutze momentan 2008. Steige wahrscheinlich bald auf 2010 um, aber das...
7 Replies - .NET Languages
[Discussion]SharpDevelop vs. Visual Studio
Which one do you find more convenient? Please post reasons. Top 10 advantages/disadvantages about each of them :).
1 Replies - CO2 PServer - Discussions / Questions
MS Visual Studio.
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....126606&SiteID=1 :rolleyes: love it!
0 Replies - Main



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:00.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Support | Contact Us | FAQ | Advertising | Privacy Policy | Abuse
Copyright ©2018 elitepvpers All Rights Reserved.