Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 01:57

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Devel] NPC Creator

Discussion on [Devel] NPC Creator within the CO2 Programming forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Devel] NPC Creator

So if the title is still "[Devel] NPC Creator", I'd like a request in change to "[Devel] CO Server Dev Kit"

So basically, this is one massive project made out of smaller projects. Aiming for the gaming business, I've noticed that almost every company is looking for developers to create development tools. Tools that will help aid developers in making the game itself. I decided to start this at 3am, so I really hope that I don't wake up, remember I posted this and then regret it lol.

The only thing, is that all of these kits are client sided. Their may be server development kits, but if so, companies keep them on lock and key. So I've decided to create one myself!

I get pretty lazy when it comes to programming and big projects, so that's why I've started to take this project on is because it is full of smaller projects. I have one solution, that will be composed of multiple projects. Eventually, I will create a main project that will incorporate all projects into one GUI... but that's later on and I'm getting ahead of myself.

Now, I'm not saying that it'll be completed by next week or anything. In fact, who knows, it might take a while.
I'll keep updating it, and let it be known when I'm being a lazy ***. 8)

Any future development updates will be posted here:

##### Reserved For Updates #####

#########################

Project Outline Document: Google Docs-

SVN Location:

Thanks. ^^
Old 04/26/2013, 20:06   #2

You seem to rush your projects dont you ? If you want to develop a bigger project seriously you might want to write down a proper skeleton of the project and its parts and try to incorporate them in the most efficient manner before you start any development at all . Simply patching up together a few separate projects you made wont do any good . If you want to do something like this (tool that will constantly grow in complexity) you might want to consider allowing people to write separate parts for it themselves and you just provide the enviroment for it . . You may find several interesting approaches to your problem and you (well you dont really have to but you should) try to reconsider each one and come up with the most beneficial solution ! Good luck
Thanks
2 Users
Old 04/26/2013, 21:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.unreal View Post
You seem to rush your projects dont you ? If you want to develop a bigger project seriously you might want to write down a proper skeleton of the project and its parts and try to incorporate them in the most efficient manner before you start any development at all . Simply patching up together a few separate projects you made wont do any good . If you want to do something like this (tool that will constantly grow in complexity) you might want to consider allowing people to write separate parts for it themselves and you just provide the enviroment for it . . You may find several interesting approaches to your problem and you (well you dont really have to but you should) try to reconsider each one and come up with the most beneficial solution ! Good luck

I actually don't rush projects; in fact, it's definitely the opposite. I don't push myself on projects near as much as I should. I usually start something and have the attitude "I'll finish it someday", and then randomly open it up and work on it every now and then. I'm trying to develop a new work habit and such by working on it daily.

As for the second thing, I agree that patching up random projects usually doesn't do very much good, but I'm not patching anything up. These are brand new ideas that I'm coming up with (at least to me they're brand new), and I'm writing everything from scratch, using no previously written code.

This is really more to have a set of tools handy if ever need be than to be an entire project built into one. I mean, eventually it will all be combined, but I took this program on purely for educational purposes for myself... well, and to kill some time. The only thing that I've done so far is create the solution and created a new project as a placeholder. I'm still working on the project document before I start.

I do appreciate the advice though.
Old 04/26/2013, 23:51   #4

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
I think his advice was more geared towards writing the framework before the tools.

If you write 5 different tools then try to combine them into one larger interface you will have a LOT more issues then if you write one interface and then develop 5 plugins for it.

If you want a 'all in one' client editing toolkit then you should design it as an editing framework that allows for plugins for each type of client file and system. You'll have MUCH better results that way.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 04/27/2013, 05:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
I think his advice was more geared towards writing the framework before the tools.

If you write 5 different tools then try to combine them into one larger interface you will have a LOT more issues then if you write one interface and then develop 5 plugins for it.

If you want a 'all in one' client editing toolkit then you should design it as an editing framework that allows for plugins for each type of client file and system. You'll have MUCH better results that way.
Then that makes a ton of sense, and I'll definitely try and design it that way. Thanks guys!
Old 04/27/2013, 14:02   #6

Oh boy , just read throught my last comment. Pro is correct up there . Sorry if i havent expressed myself clearly (sleepy posts ftw ? ) . Anyway , good luck with your project , im curious to see what can you come up with !

PS : By rushing projects I havent ment that you rush and code them , all i wanted to say was that you started without that very mutch needed skeleton of the project ! Try it out ! Ull love it ^^
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/27/2013, 20:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.unreal View Post
Oh boy , just read throught my last comment. Pro is correct up there . Sorry if i havent expressed myself clearly (sleepy posts ftw ? ) . Anyway , good luck with your project , im curious to see what can you come up with !

PS : By rushing projects I havent ment that you rush and code them , all i wanted to say was that you started without that very mutch needed skeleton of the project ! Try it out ! Ull love it ^^
Lol the skeleton is some hard work and it's very new to me. I've never planned out a project before, I've always just done it whenever I get the urge and just do whatever comes to my head.

Luckily Super Aids pointed me to a nice StackExchange post where the advice given was make a skeleton.
Old 04/29/2013, 04:05   #8

Aight ! Im curious what can you come up with !