Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Programming
You last visited: Today at 09:53

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Another question about programming languages

Discussion on Another question about programming languages within the CO2 Programming forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Question Another question about programming languages

So I'm probably well-known for asking questions about programming, especially about what it takes to make a server. Well I guess this is another question but in a way it's a different question.

PHP:
  • Ability to make classes
  • Ability to make functions
  • Database Connections are made easy
  • I have taken an extreme liking to PHP

Is it possible to code a Conquer server using PHP? That'd be a seriously, legit class project for my Advanced Computers course. Not only would that allow me to be efficient with PHP, but it would allow me to sell my web development services for a much higher price, because I'd be much more qualified than I already am. The only reason why I ask is because I have heard from a friend that someone has already done it but has never released the information of how they did it publicly, or even that they did it using PHP.

Don't post if it's something like: 'You suck', 'PHP is dumb', 'Web development is dumb', 'You're stupid for even thinking of something like this', 'Yeah but it makes the server slow it's not worth it'*

*You can tell me it makes the server loading/ping slower, but also tell me why, how and most importantly, how much slower? If it raises the ping on a 216kb/s connection by 100ms, I don't really care. If I get a decent VPS/Dedicated Server with a legit internet connection, it won't make TOO much of a difference. I understand that on a slower connection (like mine), the ping would PROBABLY be in the 1000s. Obviously I would love correction if I'm wrong, but not to the point of where it becomes flame.

Thanks,
xBlackPlagu3x
Old 09/10/2011, 23:08   #2

It would be possibe to make a server in PHP. But just because you can doesn`t mean you should.

PHP isn`t compiled to machine code, not even IL, it`s an interpreted language by the server, it`s purpose isn`t creating an application like a server emulator, where tons of data are processed and isn`t like a web-based MMO server when you need to send fewer packets.
Old 09/11/2011, 00:20   #3

I don't really see any harm in doing a PHP server I mean if anything, when submitting an application to join a team for web development I could say I coded a ******' server using PHP. I understand that it's not ANYWHERE CLOSE to as efficient as C# or C++ or even Java, but how unefficient could it be?
Old 09/11/2011, 03:33   #4

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
PHP would be massively inefficient compared to a server written in a language which compiles to something, it just simply isn't designed with this in mind. I think anyone looking to hire someone whos good with PHP would absolutely not hire you if you brought this up at an interview, it would demonstrate some ability yes, but also the fact that you considered this viable at one time or another and that would be a downside.

PHP also has some very significant arguments to not be used, the threading support which you would require for a server is virtually non-existent the best you could hope for would be either pcntl_fork() or to execute another script through the CLI from the one your using, neither of which are truly separate threads.

PHP sockets are synchronous, i've read that you can 'apparently' get async sockets, although from what ive seen on the subject in order to achieve these supposed async sockets you require a recv in a loop, which screams sync to me and definitely not async, which makes trying to manage your sockets alot more difficult.

Theres also massive security implications which you would need to consider. Also memory usage is likely to be pretty high due to the problems with threading, and im not sure about CPU, probably higher than normal due to the number of scripts you will need to be running to get around your threading issues.

I think the phrase "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" sums this up best.
Old 09/11/2011, 15:45   #5

I tried that once ages ago for a conquer client... You will soon run into problems like maximum script execution time, memory limit problems, persistent states of objects and so much more. PHP is just not designed to act as a server. Also it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to interact with the server (admin commands and so on).

Unless you have much time to spend (just to learn that PHP isnt the language of choice) - Don't even try to do that.
Old 09/11/2011, 18:44   #6

PHP is coded in C and it's open source, so yea it's possible.
Old 09/11/2011, 19:35   #7

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaussHacker View Post
PHP is coded in C and it's open source, so yea it's possible.
Not if you want to host it on someone elses webserver where you dont have access to the PHP installation.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/12/2011, 03:19   #8

Well maybe I'll do PHP someday once I can do it in a real programming language, just for the experience of PHP scripting.

Close please.
Old 09/14/2011, 20:55   #9

Not worth the effort and/or time IMO.