Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 19:27

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Mysql or Ini?

Discussion on Mysql or Ini? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: What do you like the most?
Mysql 25 73.53%
Ini 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08/24/2010, 21:49   #31

elite*gold: 20
SQL isn't used commercially for giggles.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 08/24/2010, 22:20   #32

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Yes they are just binary files, but i assure that the lookup a SQL server performs on the binary file is significantly faster than the lookup that the standard 5165 server performs.

SQL would be out of the job if anyone could just write a simple binary search and beat them on speed.
So we could store some indexes and stop reading the file if we got what we want?
Please answer to that, because i dont rly know if i got it right. (im not fighting for flat-files)

Also do you have an article about how/why binary files are that fast? All i know by now is coz it stores them in 0 and 1 which means the computer can understand it right away without need to convert it.

By the way... dont bring Tanels 5165 into that.. we both know.... its not the best
Old 08/24/2010, 22:40   #33

Received Thanks: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by µ~Xero~µ View Post
So we could store some indexes and stop reading the file if we got what we want?
Please answer to that, because i dont rly know if i got it right. (im not fighting for flat-files)

Also do you have an article about how/why binary files are that fast? All i know by now is coz it stores them in 0 and 1 which means the computer can understand it right away without need to convert it.

By the way... dont bring Tanels 5165 into that.. we both know.... its not the best
Oh sure you could do things to optomize your access to binary files, but whats the point when you could just use sql?

With the correct settings you can get amazing results with sql reaching into the thousands in terms of querys per second. You cant argue with that performance, it will easily out perform a standard flat-file database any day of the week.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/24/2010, 23:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Yes they are just binary files, but i assure that the lookup a SQL server performs on the binary file is significantly faster than the lookup that the standard 5165 server performs.

SQL would be out of the job if anyone could just write a simple binary search and beat them on speed.
The "lookup" or reading on the binary file should be the same speed. Granted it'll be slower because the code is managed vs native SQL server, the core functions are the same speed. Reading one value from a binary file vs querying one value from a SQL server - the binary file wins hands down. Think about it.
The reason why people say SQL is faster than managing your own database is the time thats spent sending data over a connection (even a local one - it still takes time) is made up for. Opening a file is a big task, and SQL database get rid of/lessen this need (in a variety of ways). The reading is not any faster. Reading a binary data file for one thing (such as a map file) is faster than querying a database for the same information.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/24/2010, 23:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone-you View Post
MSSQL > MySQL
Kinda disagree.. IMO MySQL is better, specially when it comes to portability to my knowledge MSSQL isn't portable, and well windows is already slow compared to other platforms (regarding i/o, and I know you can possibly run it on other platforms as well. A Linux distro for instance using WINE, but isn't it better if it was built specifically for Linux?).
Old 08/25/2010, 00:02   #36

Received Thanks: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tao4229_ View Post
The "lookup" or reading on the binary file should be the same speed. Granted it'll be slower because the code is managed vs native SQL server, the core functions are the same speed. Reading one value from a binary file vs querying one value from a SQL server - the binary file wins hands down. Think about it.
The reason why people say SQL is faster than managing your own database is the time thats spent sending data over a connection (even a local one - it still takes time) is made up for. Opening a file is a big task, and SQL database get rid of/lessen this need (in a variety of ways). The reading is not any faster. Reading a binary data file for one thing (such as a map file) is faster than querying a database for the same information.
I agree, straight reading from a binary file is faster, but in terms of a database theres practically no contest.
Old 08/25/2010, 01:19   #37

MySQL ftw, Personal experience and moderate use of both kinds, i subject that MySQL beat Flat File systems 8/1 every time. Yes you can make it faster , and speed up the processes but MySQL is just better.
Old 08/25/2010, 07:08   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullable View Post
Kinda disagree.. IMO MySQL is better, specially when it comes to portability to my knowledge MSSQL isn't portable, and well windows is already slow compared to other platforms (regarding i/o, and I know you can possibly run it on other platforms as well. A Linux distro for instance using WINE, but isn't it better if it was built specifically for Linux?).
MSSQL far outperforms MySQL on super huge databases. I personally would use MySQL no matter what because as you said, it's portable and it's also free, but that doesn't change the fact that MSSQL has better performance.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/25/2010, 23:56   #39

I like hamburgers most, but the option doesn't exist in the poll so i'll go with mysql, because inis aren't only slow, but they're bad to manage.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 08/26/2010, 11:30   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadeset View Post
I like hamburgers most, but the option doesn't exist in the poll so i'll go with mysql, because inis aren't only slow, but they're bad to manage.
I just say LOTF...

<3

Im sure u now know how to use mysql
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/26/2010, 18:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by µ~Xero~µ View Post
I just say LOTF...

<3

Im sure u now know how to use mysql
He does, I showed him a better way to manage mysql.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/26/2010, 20:38   #42

I will say this one time lol.......

You think you guys know anything about ini or mysql storing db

µ~Xero~µ - Binaries does not equal mysql it simply is made to use it. So you're aspect of the matter and knowing what it is was pointless for you to even reply.

In a database storing system using a sql database is going to be faster depending on how well or close it is the the same location if your surfing to inter-grade with the website then your going to want to use MySQL.

If your using local and not going to move the db storing location away from the same location as the source or server then ini or mysql would be fine. INI is much more complex for surfing and calling upon a single line for example in a binaries source you can create a new table and make a recent online player list for a website. In ini style your only making a php value surf the hole file looking for a single line. So faster is mysql as far as retrieving data ini was not meant to have options and other stuff. MySQL is multi laced with many options and other things.

Someone said MySQL is only good for navicat and other things. hehe pointless to make that claim it is only good for someone who knows how to use it. So all you rookies out there still going on about something you know nothing about is really cool i guess....
Old 08/26/2010, 21:32   #43

navicat have nothing to do with mysql.
except it shows the tabels.

and ur talking about binaries, wich having nothing to do with this topic.
We are discussabout mysql and ini in general.
Ini is not really more complex to use. Is just slower to use and what ever, where sql can point out x and y of where to get data.
storing in ini is what I like most, but mysql is better.
And MySQL is only good if you can make a proper connection that isn't getting lost every 5min and needs reconnect all the time.

and as you like binaries so much, then i can let u know binaries are using MySQL as the database type.
so ur reply was actually useless as u just reposted things already known in the thread or things that are useless or not even on the topic.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/26/2010, 21:35   #44

my topic at hand was not of binaries. mysql is selected almost same way as you may think binaries is... its mysql only SELECT or INSERT into is mysql not binaries so backup think about it get back to me on that one
Old 08/26/2010, 21:39   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropItem View Post
my topic at hand was not of binaries. mysql is selected almost same way as you may think binaries is... its mysql only SELECT or INSERT into is mysql not binaries so backup think about it get back to me on that one
yea mysql is select, insert and know the exactly place to do it.
like x 1 - x 100 and y 1 - y 100.
then you can tell it insert x 55 y 76, then it skip all things and go directly to that position.
binary databases are not working at same way. view previous posts.