Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 04:59

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

CO Community Project

Discussion on CO Community Project within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
CO Community Project (Jonquer)

(for anyone that saw this thread previously, scratch everything i said)

I have started to work on my Jonquer server again and doing great progress.

The community can really help towards this project, we will need NPC scripters, server hosters (for feedback/bug reports),

I will be looking for hosters to be using regular builds of this project (it will be open source using google code and ill dispatch regular distributions), so they can test it out and give feedback/bugs back to me.

I will leave all updates i do in this thread.

My old partner s.bat has gone MIA it seems, so i will be looking for other programmers to work on this server, you will need to have bright knowledge of the Java language

If your interested in the project and willing to either host or contribute, leave feedback thanks.

SVN:

When i hit some milestones, ill add a proper package you can download, i should probably make a forum at some stage too.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:21   #2

Goodluck on the project. Im already on a prject for scripting source so i really don't have time
Old 04/05/2010, 07:21   #3

There is like hundred of leveling servers already. Wanna be successfull? Do a PVP server based on old patch clients.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSandwich View Post
There is like hundred of leveling servers already. Wanna be successfull? Do a PVP server based on old patch clients.
Wanna be successfull do a pvp server on new patch, but remove ninjas, taos and archers. because the new patch got the arena system, wich is pretty cool also honor and all that. Then make those wich win most or kill most get honor XD what ever ^^
Old 04/05/2010, 07:24   #5

Quote:
i'm not doing this to host a server, i'm doing it so others can host good servers. How many of those 'hundreds' of leveling servers are stable and there for the long haul?

But you have given me an idea, the ability to switch between a PvP and leveling server.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTREME View Post
Wanna be successfull do a pvp server on new patch, but remove ninjas, taos and archers. because the new patch got the arena system, wich is pretty cool also honor and all that. Then make those wich win most or kill most get honor XD what ever ^^
That's what exactly AcidCo was like. Then suddenly failed because of this features.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:33   #7

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
I may be interested depending on how much I end up working on my existing server and how far the project gets.

Basically coemu needs the entire socket system re-written to be stable in the long run. If you are wanting to upgrade/convert a source though I'd suggest working with Hybrids super basic source and upgrade it to 5165 or later and then simply allow certain features to be turned on/off.

Eg: Simple option to enable/disable talis or bp in pvp and simple options to change things around without having to re-write large sections of code.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:34   #8

Quote:
That's what exactly AcidCo was like. Then suddenly failed because of this features.
ACO didnt fail.
ACO was more improved then any other servers. It was the best server ever and it had more features, then any other servers ever will get.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
I may be interested depending on how much I end up working on my existing server and how far the project gets.

Basically coemu needs the entire socket system re-written to be stable in the long run. If you are wanting to upgrade/convert a source though I'd suggest working with Hybrids super basic source and upgrade it to 5165 or later and then simply allow certain features to be turned on/off.

Eg: Simple option to enable/disable talis or bp in pvp and simple options to change things around without having to re-write large sections of code.
I'm using LOTF of CoEmu simply because of the amount of content it has, i don't want to write all the content, so ill fix up whatever already has it.

This question so far, nobody has been able to answer and i have no idea why, but what happens to make CoEmu unstable/crash? you say i gotta rewrite the socket system, but why? i mean if people can give me information on what happens i can look into it further.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChong23 View Post
I'm using LOTF of CoEmu simply because of the amount of content it has, i don't want to write all the content, so ill fix up whatever already has it.

This question so far, nobody has been able to answer and i have no idea why, but what happens to make CoEmu unstable/crash? you say i gotta rewrite the socket system, but why? i mean if people can give me information on what happens i can look into it further.
too many connection at same time?
A simply overflow? i dont know, i never used coemu.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChingChong23 View Post

CoEmu uses a flawed socketing system where it starts 2 threads. One for game server and one for auth server. Each connected client spawns a new thread off of the game server meaning

#1: High resource usage (each thread by default uses 1mb of ram)
#2: Seeing as all client threads are connected off of the game server thread, if one of them screws up it can mess up the entire server.

So essentially the entire system for creating new client threads and handling of login/characters should be re-written if you want a truly stable and efficient server. One way to do that (Note: this is all advice given to me from null) would be to spawn, say, 50 threads on startup and then run player commands through them using a queue system so that no commands are lost of messed up by people logging on/off or anything like that...

Lotf in my eyes is SERIOUSLY not working. The 'features' you are citing as it's main advantage are so poorly coded that you will end up needing to re-write almost all of them for the source to be anywhere near usable anyways... I haven't heard too much about server stability with 5165 but I'm confident it can't be that much better than coemu when it comes to freezing/crashing/messing up.. not to mention any glitches to do with character checks and database updates (seriously... it's just pathetic how poorly most of the codes I've seen written for it are when it comes to verifying and saving client information...)

That being said, by the time you re-code coemu and make it usable (or lotf if you REALLY wanted to use that piece of shit)... I just don't see the point. You could use hybrids existing system and then basically plop in the 5165 packets and encryption using lotf as and example and have the community work on features (hell, most of them are quite easy to do!)

That would leave you with a vastly superior source to coemu or the dreaded lotf when you are finished and still require alot less work than creating your own custom source.

Just my opinion though. I'm sure others will disagree on many of my points.
Old 04/05/2010, 07:56   #12

Quote:
CoEmu uses a flawed socketing system where it starts 2 threads. One for game server and one for auth server. Each connected client spawns a new thread off of the game server meaning

#1: High resource usage (each thread by default uses 1mb of ram)
#2: Seeing as all client threads are connected off of the game server thread, if one of them screws up it can mess up the entire server.

So essentially the entire system for creating new client threads and handling of login/characters should be re-written if you want a truly stable and efficient server. One way to do that (Note: this is all advice given to me from null) would be to spawn, say, 50 threads on startup and then run player commands through them using a queue system so that no commands are lost of messed up by people logging on/off or anything like that...

Lotf in my eyes is SERIOUSLY not working. The 'features' you are citing as it's main advantage are so poorly coded that you will end up needing to re-write almost all of them for the source to be anywhere near usable anyways... I haven't heard too much about server stability with 5165 but I'm confident it can't be that much better than coemu when it comes to freezing/crashing/messing up.. not to mention any glitches to do with character checks and database updates (seriously... it's just pathetic how poorly most of the codes I've seen written for it are when it comes to verifying and saving client information...)

That being said, by the time you re-code coemu and make it usable (or lotf if you REALLY wanted to use that piece of shit)... I just don't see the point. You could use hybrids existing system and then basically plop in the 5165 packets and encryption using lotf as and example and have the community work on features (hell, most of them are quite easy to do!)

That would leave you with a vastly superior source to coemu or the dreaded lotf when you are finished and still require alot less work than creating your own custom source.

Just my opinion though. I'm sure others will disagree on many of my points.
dats a hell long message and i agree with the most of them, but why dont they just write the threads better from the start xD
Old 04/05/2010, 08:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTREME View Post
dats a hell long message and i agree with the most of them, but why dont they just write the threads better from the start xD
I have no idea why andy wrote it as he did... I'm sorta guessing that's why he released it and moved on to something else instead of continuing to work on it... it's quite a bit of work to re-write all that really.
Old 04/05/2010, 08:07   #14

so CoEmu uses thread per player model, hmmm. What does hybrid's use? saved me time downloading it and checking. Thread per player model can work, my guess is that it's all thread synchronization problems in CoEmu, ill take a further look soon though. Also whats the version got to do with the stability of the server? and what server runs 5165? the version is just a number.
Old 04/05/2010, 08:09   #15

Quote:
I have no idea why andy wrote it as he did... I'm sorta guessing that's why he released it and moved on to something else instead of continuing to work on it... it's quite a bit of work to re-write all that really.
Yea, i never used the coemu, so i can't tell what there is, but after reading your post i probably get the problem and yea thats might why he released it, but about tanels LOTF, they are both some really ****. I dont know, is the new source more stable or same?