Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 23:24

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Split Server Projects?

Discussion on Split Server Projects? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Split Server Projects?

It's been some time.. but curiosity strikes. If someone could explain this to me, I'd appreciate.

I have been meddling with a 5517 version of Roy's Conquer Server v2, this source using split game/authentication servers. I know this is a fairly common practice with Co development but could someone explain how they communicate? I have had success communicating with the authentication server, but after valid handshaking there - I cannot figure out why I am not receiving a connection to the game server.

I have walked through the auth server, everything works. I cannot follow code into the game server as they are separate projects. The gameserver is never even receiving a connection. I understand there are other threads that offer a few ideas - change architecture build, the 64 bit libeay32 library, etc. While I'm interested in fixing the issue of not being able to login.. I am also interested in how they regularly communicate.

Do I set them as dependencies of each other? I am just a bit lost atm.

ps. ports are forwarded, there should not be a fault with that.

Thanks.

Old 09/09/2019, 20:12   #2

So the client will attempt to connect to the IP that the auth server sends to it. I’m verify you are sending the correct ip and port in that packet. If you are, are you using nullables conquer loader? There was a “force” setting that would basically override the connection to the game server, effectively ignoring the ip/port from the game server.

As far as how they communicate to each other. Each server project handles it a little different. Some servers will share a common database, where the auth server inserts a record that the game server used to prove authenticity. Other will use sockets to connect the two so that they can directly communicate which clients are authorized. Some IPC of some form is used and it is very minimal, only to tell the game server that the client is good to connect.

I think. Been out of the scene a while.

Thanks
1 User
Old 09/09/2019, 21:22   #3

So, I had been using Khaled's v2 loader (which did not have the force setting implemented), I installed v5 and it logged in. I assume that the gameserver's IP/port was causing an issue.

Thank you.

Between using a split structure, or just a singular one.. Are their pros/cons to it? I definitely like the organization using split servers.. I know this is all old news, just interested to hear peoples' preferences.
Old 09/09/2019, 22:05   #4

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Guru View Post
So, I had been using Khaled's v2 loader (which did not have the force setting implemented), I installed v5 and it logged in. I assume that the gameserver's IP/port was causing an issue.

Thank you.

Between using a split structure, or just a singular one.. Are their pros/cons to it? I definitely like the organization using split servers.. I know this is all old news, just interested to hear peoples' preferences.
Conquer Online is a split structure no matter what. You can have both servers run in a single executable and share memory, but the client has to disconnect and reconnect and will always see it as two separate servers.

The pro of having both servers in a single executable is that you can share memory, and don't have to worry about how the account and game servers communicate with each other or pass authentication. The disadvantage is that it couples the two servers together and prevents you from easily spinning up a second game server for another region.

is also a split project structure and has documentation on that stuff, if you want to take a look. The two servers communicate with each other over RPC.

Thanks
1 User
Old 09/09/2019, 22:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
Conquer Online is a split structure no matter what. You can have both servers run in a single executable and share memory, but the client has to disconnect and reconnect and will always see it as two separate servers.

The pro of having both servers in a single executable is that you can share memory, and don't have to worry about how the account and game servers communicate with each other or pass authentication. The disadvantage is that it couples the two servers together and prevents you from easily spinning up a second game server for another region.

is also a split project structure and has documentation on that stuff, if you want to take a look. The two servers communicate with each other over RPC.
Right, that's what I was meaning - the single exe vs dual exes. Appreciate your insight. And I will check it out, thanks.

« Magic loading issue | Chi System »