Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 11:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

An old question answered

Discussion on An old question answered within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Closed Thread

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
An old question answered

I don`t know if any of you guys noticed, or if I am too late with this, however I`d like to share this, found on QO`s site.

Quote:
Qonquer is an MMORPG. The Game Server is written in Java and is 100% our own work.
Old 04/15/2009, 11:14   #2

It used to be a hybrid between Java and native C methods, however this was proving troublesome as the server has to run on Linux and Windows and compiling 2 versions of the C libraries each time was annoying me, so i converted one of the C methods to pure java and was astonished that it actually ran more efficiently, so I converted the lot to java. Large looping mathmatical tests I tried with C, C++, C# and Java resulted in Java winning clearly everytime. Thats why its written in java, and thats why it can handle over 500 players (in its peak) without batting a diode. Also the code was heavily optimized because we were getting dreadful lag spikes on the old server and I trawled through the code looking for possible causses of them, in the end it turned out to be a fault with the dedicated server hardware, but this was a good thing in the end as it caused me to re-write a lot of code and optimize it. When we switched to the new dedicated server, everything was sweet.

Its all about memory and how to handle classes correctly. A lot of people pour code into objects that need to be replicated such as Monsters and Player objects. This causes a larger memory footprint as that code is included in every object that is created for everything active in the game.

Also, a dedicated server is essential. Servers running on home broadband connections simply don't have the upstream capability, not to mention most of those run behind routers which will crash and burn trying to cope with any reasonable amount of port forwarded connections.
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/15/2009, 13:19   #3

If you're having less memory used in Java over a native language, you're doing something wrong.
Old 04/15/2009, 14:09   #4

Oh yea, must be doing it wrong, our server doesnt work at all.
Old 04/15/2009, 15:09   #5

Quote:
$ java -server -XX:CompileThreshold=1 Mandelbrot 2>/dev/null
Java Elapsed 2.994
Java Elapsed 1.926
Java Elapsed 1.955

$ gcc -O8 mandelbrot.c
$ ./a.out 2>/dev/null
C Elapsed 2.03
C Elapsed 2.04
C Elapsed 2.05
Java is evolving really fast. IMO it is the language with the brightest future, because of cross-platform and being 100% free.
Old 04/15/2009, 15:26   #6

elite*gold: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qonquer View Post
Oh yea, must be doing it wrong, our server doesnt work at all.
Arragonce is my biggest dislike, after idiocity.
Old 04/15/2009, 15:37   #7

Arrogance is only justified by those who do not need it.
Old 04/15/2009, 16:14   #8

confidence is pride when applied to your own work, arrogance is that pride applied maliciously to other peoples work. He may have been sarcastic in his response, but, he's referring to his own work. When he states to someone that their server will fail, and that they suck...then i'll consider him arrogant (even if the assessment is true). just mho.
Old 04/15/2009, 17:14   #9

ar⋅ro⋅gant
   /ˈærəgənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ar-uh-guhnt]
–adjective
1. making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.

kthx
Old 04/15/2009, 17:46   #10

Thanks for the definition, lolz. I dun want a war of semantics, but its easy to see that his 1 post, to which you replied was void of all those things defined in your definition, at least thats how i interpret his post. It was sarcasm. But, at least i know who to use as a scrabble partner. yw.

idiocity isnt a word
Old 04/15/2009, 17:49   #11

If this turns into more flaming, it's closing time.

Keep it clean, guys.
Old 04/15/2009, 18:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
Thanks for the definition, lolz. I dun want a war of semantics, but its easy to see that his 1 post, to which you replied was void of all those things defined in your definition, at least thats how i interpret his post. It was sarcasm. But, at least i know who to use as a scrabble partner. yw.

idiocity isnt a word
Actually i think you'll find idiocity is a word

It's not a frequently used word, its more a twin with stupidity, if you find a link for idiocity it will probably redirect you to the stupidity definition..

And also sarcasm evokes arragonce.

A* English
Old 04/15/2009, 20:47   #13

Nerds....

And idiocity is a word....

I have never witnessed such idiocity!!!
(referring to this thread)
Old 04/15/2009, 21:01   #14

Anyway the question has been answered..

#request close
Old 04/15/2009, 21:02   #15

weeeeeeelllll...

[nerd]
now that we have fully hijacked this thread, i could not find idiocity, in an official dictionary, with an official definition for it (i had never heard it used, only idiocy). Even his link to google (cuz there is no def from say merriam webster, etc to link to) has a first link which says it is an overcomplicated replacment for idiocy. If you search for it and it redirects, that is an automatic feature to bring you to another word, which has definition that the site assumes you are looking for. here is a search from a dictionary for that word XD

it is in the urban dictionary, which seems to be a wikipedia type of dictionary, where ppl can enter a definition and the word will then be defined (which was at the top of his google search).
But now I have turned it into a semantics discussion, and that wasnt the point. I just didnt think the guy was bein rude or arrogant.

But if enough ppl use a word, it will surely becomes a word, like stephen colberts "truthiness".

[/nerd]
Closed Thread