Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 12:02

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Server question.

Discussion on Server question. within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Server question.

Alright, I'm going to make a new source again, the other one didn't went very well. I structured it too much, so it got a bit confused :P

What I was thinking. I have split my auth server and game server, but don't know if I should make another server for maybe handling stuff like npcs and mobs or should I just stick with auth server and game server.

Old 08/27/2011, 01:53   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,115
There's really no point in splitting the servers into two or more projects unless you have multiple computers to run it on (which creates lag). I would just do one project for the servers.
Old 08/27/2011, 02:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
There's really no point in splitting the servers into two or more projects unless you have multiple computers to run it on (which creates lag). I would just do one project for the servers.
Auth server and game server is already split.
Old 08/27/2011, 02:57   #4

elite*gold: 28
Bauss, use the MVA architecture.

Thanks
1 User
Old 08/27/2011, 03:24   #5

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaussHacker View Post
Auth server and game server is already split.
I mean project wise. Keep them in one console - one project.
Old 08/27/2011, 14:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
I mean project wise. Keep them in one console - one project.
it's preferred to separate your projects for many reasons , and if you didn't split it ,you still will use threads so your splitting it within one project tho.
Old 08/27/2011, 15:19   #7

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Its definitely better having them as seperate applications, there are times when you may want to disable the auth server but keep the game server online, or where the auth server crashes and you need to restart it, having it all rolled into one application doesnt easily allow for these circumstances.

It just allows for greater flexibility, one auth server can service many game servers as the amount of work it does is very small, you cant really do that if the auth and game server are rolled into one.

Theres also defensive reasons for it, having them seperate means that ddosing wont be as effective, and you can always just bring up another auth server on a seperate server etc etc.

As for NPC/Mob server(s) FusionOrigins uses an approach which has an npc server and a mob server, if you take a look or have already seen it, using this sort of approach can be extremely complex and difficult to manage, its definitely not necessary to go down this route, however for things like NPCs it could be advantages, mobs im not certain about to be honest, in my experience you can do it, but the amount of actions performed means that you have to relay alot of data around, you could probably get around this by using some form of shared memory instance rather than sending data between server.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/27/2011, 16:17   #8

Received Thanks: 1,147
Sending data between two local server may have a delay of like 10~40 ms, so if you split too much your project, players will have an highter ping. But it's good to split some things like the AccServer and the GameServer. And in your project, maybe using some DLL, so you'll not always update the application, but the libraries.
Thanks
1 User
Old 08/27/2011, 16:36   #9

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post
Sending data between two local server may have a delay of like 10~40 ms, so if you split too much your project, players will have an highter ping. But it's good to split some things like the AccServer and the GameServer. And in your project, maybe using some DLL, so you'll not always update the application, but the libraries.
Yeah, like i say you can do it for some things and it could benefit you, for npcs you could send a req to the external server and have the external server send the packets to the client if you included the client socket in the transfer, would save some time.

But like i say some form of shared memory system could solve alot of this issue.
Thanks
1 User