Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Off-Topics > Off Topic
You last visited: Today at 04:05

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Private servers now legal?

Discussion on Private servers now legal? within the Off Topic forum part of the Off-Topics category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Private servers now legal?

Hello guys, i tried to find a place to post this because i wanted to share it with you and expand a little my knowledge, but since i could not get it in any other place i decided to get it here.

Specifically this part:

Archiving and Preserving Video Games

The Librarian granted part of EFF’s new proposal for an exemption to preserve abandoned video games. The new exemption allows players to modify their copy of a game to eliminate the need for an authentication server after the original server is shut down. Museums, libraries, and archives can go a step further and jailbreak game consoles as needed to get the games working again. Disappointingly, the Librarian limited the exemption to games that can’t be played at all after a server shutdown, excluding games where only the online multiplayer features are lost. Still, this exemption will help keep many classic and beloved video games playable by future generations.

Sadly i could just manage to understand the first part that has underline, i fail to understand completely the other part with underline.

Does this means that people can restore servers of localized games that were shutdown or all the servers have to be shutdown?
Old 10/28/2015, 00:32   #2

elite*gold: 400
Received Thanks: 19,503
Arrow Main -> Off Topic

/moved

Tags
legal private server, private server, server shutdown