Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Coders Den > General Coding
You last visited: Today at 00:48

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Help] Which programming language

Discussion on [Help] Which programming language within the General Coding forum part of the Coders Den category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Help] Which programming language

Hi guys,

So I'm looking for a new programming language to start learning but can't decide which one to pick...
I want to be able to eventually write server applications using that language (game servers/ emulators) so I know something like VB ain't gonna do the job.

I've looked at C/C++ which obviously would be best choices due to sheer power I'd get however learning and developing curve seems to be too long D:

Also I don't really like languages with dependencies like the whole .NET thing or JVM hence C# and Java ain't gonna be my choices either :| Well... I'm not sure :<

Are there any other languages powerful enough for writing speed demanding stuff like emulators?

Would Python be any good here? Anything else?

I'm a VB6 programmer with 5 years of experience and about two years of PHP. Also I read several books on C so I know it's advantages and disadvantages .

Knowing that, what would your suggestion be?
Old 07/29/2011, 17:09   #2

elite*gold: 1826
Received Thanks: 6,283
c++!
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/29/2011, 18:17   #3

elite*gold: 115
Received Thanks: 12,344
A compromise would be to write the core consisting of resource-critical routines in C/C++ and the rest in a scripting language like Python or Lua.
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/31/2011, 13:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth48 View Post
Hi guys,

So I'm looking for a new programming language to start learning but can't decide which one to pick...
I want to be able to eventually write server applications using that language (game servers/ emulators) so I know something like VB ain't gonna do the job.

I've looked at C/C++ which obviously would be best choices due to sheer power I'd get however learning and developing curve seems to be too long D:

Also I don't really like languages with dependencies like the whole .NET thing or JVM hence C# and Java ain't gonna be my choices either :| Well... I'm not sure :<

Are there any other languages powerful enough for writing speed demanding stuff like emulators?

Would Python be any good here? Anything else?

I'm a VB6 programmer with 5 years of experience and about two years of PHP. Also I read several books on C so I know it's advantages and disadvantages .

Knowing that, what would your suggestion be?
VB can do that just fine. You are not entitled to have an opinion of "dependencies", since you have extremely limited experience. There is noone who in these days will write any server in c/c++. The extremely limited speed you might gain, is probably lost somewhere due to ****** and inefficient code. The speed doesnt really matter anymore, considering new cpus witha crapload of cores. People will look to which language and platform will make development fast, not the end product, which is why java/c# is your best bet. Anyone saying otherwise has never been out in the real world.
Old 08/01/2011, 00:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgX View Post
VB can do that just fine. You are not entitled to have an opinion of "dependencies", since you have extremely limited experience. There is noone who in these days will write any server in c/c++. The extremely limited speed you might gain, is probably lost somewhere due to ****** and inefficient code. The speed doesnt really matter anymore, considering new cpus witha crapload of cores. People will look to which language and platform will make development fast, not the end product, which is why java/c# is your best bet. Anyone saying otherwise has never been out in the real world.
Thanks for the answer, I've researched a bit and decided to go with C# after all. Ordered few books of amazon so I'll devote next few months on that.
Old 08/02/2011, 01:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth48 View Post
Thanks for the answer, I've researched a bit and decided to go with C# after all. Ordered few books of amazon so I'll devote next few months on that.
Frankly, the easiest way to learn it, is to watch some videos... Programming isnt exactly easy to learn from books, unless you already know a different language. Some sites even have step by step programs containing videos, and well...steps on what to code next in order to learn in an incremental way.