Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 15:11

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

trying to develop a serv in VB.net

Discussion on trying to develop a serv in VB.net within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 20
trying to develop a serv in VB.net

Well i have just started to think about to make me a own conquer server in VB.net. its not so hard to code in VB so i thought it would be easy. i have just found a problem and its how i should choose the World.cs to the VB.net, there is only .forms,.frx and alot of other things, can some1 tell me wich one i should choose?
Old 09/13/2010, 17:09   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Sorry to tell you this but you will most likely have a really hard time coding a full server in vb... and if you succeed it will most likely be very inefficient and not worth using.

It's definitely possible but just warning.. C++ is the 'best' option for it... C# is also rather decent as is java and a number of other 'medium' level languages.

As for where to place things.. don't expect to be able to just copy large sections of code.. you need to be comfortable with how servers work and willing to write things from scratch if you want to develop your own source (regardless of the language you use). If you are not to that level, don't fret... give it time and start learning more as you go along. At some point you'll get there (hell, I'm only just now feeling comfortable working with my own source and I've put a TON of time into learning C# and messing around with various sources)

World.cs (lotf I assume?) is generally sort of an entry point to hold public variables so server wide things such as... ip rate... listening ports... dictionary of online players, server items... etcetc...

It doesn't matter where you place things as long as you know where they are, they are set to proper permission/access levels and you know the difference between static and not static (again, using C# terms here but fact remains)

Don't be trying to use a 'static dictionary' and then trying to create more than one of them... (eg player inventories lol)
Old 09/14/2010, 18:25   #3

elite*gold: 106
Received Thanks: 1,164
#Moved,

A server in .net would be lols, even i have taken classes in it
Old 09/14/2010, 20:23   #4

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
Sorry to tell you this but you will most likely have a really hard time coding a full server in vb... and if you succeed it will most likely be very inefficient and not worth using.
LOL.
VB.NET is the .NET framework, instead of saying it would be hard to code, which is untrue btw, you could have said it is pointless as it is almost the same.
The biggest difference in C#.NET and VB.NET is the syntax tbh.
C# supports VB
VB supports C#
Old 09/14/2010, 20:25   #5

if ur decent at vb, u can make something success.
I got a 2d mmo in vb, pretty awsome =]

add my mail
and I will help u, but I wouldn't recomment vb to make a source for co in.
Old 09/14/2010, 20:35   #6

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basser View Post
LOL.
VB.NET is the .NET framework, instead of saying it would be hard to code, which is untrue btw, you could have said it is pointless as it is almost the same.
The biggest difference in C#.NET and VB.NET is the syntax tbh.
C# supports VB
VB supports C#
Sorry... I more meant that if he was at the level of VB knowledge where he could make an 'effective' server with it he probably wouldn't be asking the question...

I'm aware you can do really anything you can do in C# with vb... as far as I knew it was alot more work to do more complex things though.

And yes... very pointless and inefficient to try to write a full server using VB
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/14/2010, 22:16   #7

VB.NET is 99% as efficient as equal C# code.

You just can't use unsafe code. A decently coded (even just better than ******) VB server will be lightyears ahead of this section anyways.
Old 09/14/2010, 22:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huseby View Post
#Moved,

A server in .net would be lols, even i have taken classes in it
Lemme take a wild guess, all the public servers are in C# .NET?
So lols, isn't it?
Old 09/14/2010, 22:21   #9

Received Thanks: 5,291
Huseby I think you meant to say VB.net, not just .net lol.
Old 09/15/2010, 01:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tao4229_ View Post
VB.NET is 99% as efficient as equal C# code.

You just can't use unsafe code. A decently coded (even just better than ******) VB server will be lightyears ahead of this section anyways.
I don't think it will matter. Even though someone tries to switch em over to VB.NET they will stick to that ****** C# LOTF source. I remember ChingChong trying to do an open-source java project, but almost nobody(might aswell say nobody) contributed to the project because they were not willing to change from programming language even though they do not master the current one.
Old 09/15/2010, 01:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmuneOne View Post
I don't think it will matter. Even though someone tries to switch em over to VB.NET they will stick to that ****** C# LOTF source. I remember ChingChong trying to do an open-source java project, but almost nobody(might aswell say nobody) contributed to the project because they were not willing to change from programming language even though they do not master the current one.
!@$#^%@#$!%^%@# Java.

I have to take a class on it.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/15/2010, 09:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoieJones90 View Post
Well i have just started to think about to make me a own conquer server in VB.net. its not so hard to code in VB so i thought it would be easy. i have just found a problem and its how i should choose the World.cs to the VB.net, there is only .forms,.frx and alot of other things, can some1 tell me wich one i should choose?
Okay i am so confused on the bold parts right now.
Are you trying to either convert a publicly released source to VB.net with a little copy and paste? If so i suggest you stop and learn some VB.net so you can do it correctly and not screw up.

Or are you trying to make a custom VB.net source from scratch?

I suggest you google some tutorials on VB.net to help out on this little project you are doing. Or find a experienced VB.net coder to help you out.

<Edit>

And from what source did you get the "World.cs" from?
Old 09/15/2010, 09:22   #13

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
vb.net has more than just forms in it, you can have .vb files which are the equivilant to .cs files.

It seems to me that you know very little about both C# and VB, so switching from one to the other is pointless, the performance gains/losses are pretty much none existant (with the exception of not being able to use pointers), your just changing to a different syntax....pointless if you still dont have enough knowledge to actually build the project.
Old 09/15/2010, 10:10   #14

he will have alot problems with switching newestcoserver over to vb.
Wont be the easiest task.
Old 09/15/2010, 13:22   #15

Received Thanks: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ☆★Zuper★☆ View Post
he will have alot problems with switching newestcoserver over to vb.
Wont be the easiest task.
If you read, he's not trying to convert a source to a different code
He's talking about just creating a source in general with vb.net.