Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 21:28

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Why does this not create my character?

Discussion on Why does this not create my character? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Why does this not create my character?

Why does this not create my character? Pretty sure it used to work It's failing here somewhere it doesn't actually create it?

Code:
            while (true)
            {
                try
                {
                    using (var cmd = new MySqlCommand(MySqlCommandType.INSERT))
                        cmd.Insert("entities").Insert("Name", eC.Name).Insert("Owner", client.Account.Username).Insert("Class", eC.Class).Insert("UID", client.Entity.UID)
                            .Insert("Hitpoints", client.Entity.Hitpoints).Insert("Mana", client.Entity.Mana).Insert("Body", client.Entity.Body)
                            .Insert("Face", client.Entity.Face).Insert("HairStyle", client.Entity.HairStyle).Insert("Strength", client.Entity.Strength)
                            .Insert("WarehousePW", "").Insert("Agility", client.Entity.Agility).Insert("Vitality", client.Entity.Vitality).Insert("Spirit", client.Entity.Spirit)
                            .Execute();
                    Database.MySqlCommand com = new Database.MySqlCommand(MySqlCommandType.INSERT);
                    com.Insert("achievement").Insert("UID", (long)client.Entity.UID).Insert("Owner", client.Account.Username).Insert("Name", client.Entity.Name);
                    message = "ANSWER_OK";
                    break;
                }
                catch
                {
                    client.Entity.UID = Program.EntityUID.Next;
                }
            }

using (var cmd = new MySqlCommand(MySqlCommandType.UPDATE).Update("configuration").Set("EntityID", client.Entity.UID).Where("Server", Constants.ServerName))
                cmd.Execute();
            client.Account.EntityID = client.Entity.UID;
            client.Account.Save();
            return true;
        }
Old 01/06/2016, 06:36   #2

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
You effectively wrote both a brute-force algorithm on your database and a race condition when writing to the configuration table. Congrats. This code is massively ****. Will it effect your server's performance, probably not... but you should consider not being **** and sticking to better programming practices. You won't always be this lucky. If you don't understand the problems I mentioned, then you should before you continue programming a server; else, you're going to cause some very bad problems with your server.
Old 01/06/2016, 06:50   #3

Not actually my code >.< It's what was in the source.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/06/2016, 07:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by denominator View Post
Not actually my code >.< It's what was in the source.
How terrifying. Thank *** I don't involve myself with those sources. Have you tried debugging it using breakpoints? You can always use a not **** source as well.
Old 01/06/2016, 08:36   #5

elite*gold: 130
Why the hell is there a while loop if you want to create a single character.
Old 01/06/2016, 09:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk55 View Post
Why the hell is there a while loop if you want to create a single character.
They apparently use brute-force logic to burn through character IDs and query the MySQL server to find the next character ID (instead of allowing MySQL to handle unique key allocation in a thread-safe manor). They then try to save the ID back to the database which can cause a race condition. It really makes me sick reading this tripe.
Old 01/06/2016, 17:47   #7

You will be pleased to know that I have deleted the source lol

Quote:
You can always use a not **** source as well.
They are prehistoric >.< I am wondering are there any 6100+ sources out there?
Thanks
3 Users
Old 01/06/2016, 20:42   #8

elite*gold: 130
Quote:
You will be pleased to know that I have deleted the source lol

They are prehistoric >.< I am wondering are there any 6100+ sources out there?
You could grab a public source and upgrade yourself.

Throne should work with patches on and above 6090.
I know that the author also said that the source isn't recommended to use for running a server but you could however use it as reference for packets etc.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/06/2016, 21:57   #9

Yeah I have throne but the loader will not load the client up to it
Old 01/06/2016, 21:59   #10

Absolutely. I have a few members on my board that I'm privately advising doing just that. They're using Redux, but there are many you can chose from. Upgrading a source isn't easy though if you have no programming experience... so I'm not sure how comfortable you'd be doing that (as I don't know your experience in programming). It's not a challenging task, but it will take some dedication (which will be rewarded, of course, when your server isn't a heaping pile of software).
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/06/2016, 22:04   #11

I was using ncos 5165 at one stage but lost it due to a hard drive issue, it was fun at the time, recently suffered a stroke so most of what I had learnt is now non existent
Old 01/07/2016, 01:03   #12

Quote:
I was using ncos 5165 at one stage but lost it due to a hard drive issue, it was fun at the time, recently suffered a stroke so most of what I had learnt is now non existent
Sorry to hear that. You may want to look into Redux, then. From what I've seen, it's relatively easy to understand. You can also look at Phoenix, since that's documented. The server model in Phoenix is bad, though. I still recommend Chris's Redux source for a good, moderately complete source. It's definitely better organized than most sources I've seen. You can keep at the patch it's at until you feel more comfortable with modifying the source. Then, you can upgrade / downgrade the source as you wish. It's up to you, of course. If you don't think this is worth your time, then you can always use a ****** server. Just don't expect to see it work ideally (as you've seen from this thread), and don't expect to be able to maintain those types of sources without programming experience of some type.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/07/2016, 01:23   #13

I'll look into redux see if I like it, I'm looking for something for personal use so bugs are not a problem because there will only be me using it, as I thought redux is like all the others based on a primitve client. Thanks but no thanks