Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 05:54

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Question] Item information storage

Discussion on [Question] Item information storage within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Question [Question] Item information storage

Which is better and why?

1 - Store all the information of the items in a dictionary own project as well as most sources do?

2 - Store the information of items in the database and do a search in the database each time the information is requested for an item?
Old 01/20/2014, 22:56   #2

Store all the information in the database.
And then store all CURRENTLY used items in variables while the player is online.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/21/2014, 14:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceking View Post
Store all the information in the database.
And then store all CURRENTLY used items in variables while the player is online.
Thanks for your opinion

- Anymore?
Old 01/21/2014, 14:58   #4

Well... im a friend of the "lets put everything into ram" philosophy

Items arent big data, so you could always store evereything in memory and save time on access / IO locks.

Ram is cheap, efficient programming means using the ressources you have available. If you need to keep the ressource usage down, go with ace´s way. His way sounds very good to me but its harder to implement

Good luck!
Old 01/21/2014, 16:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y u k i View Post

Items arent big data, so you could always store evereything in memory and save time on access / IO locks.

Ram is cheap, efficient programming means using the ressources you have available. If you need to keep the ressource usage down, go with ace´s way. His way sounds very good to me but its harder to implement

Good luck!
Thank you very much!

#Closed
Old 01/21/2014, 17:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y u k i View Post

Good luck!
So you would load every item upon server start?
Not saying its a bad way just curious.

And it isn't really hard to implement.
Upon player login, just fill a dictionary with all that players items from the database. Then you just need to save it back whenever there are changes.
This way also ensures there is minimal data loss in the event of a crash.

If the server crashes or power fails and all that data in the RAM isn't saved, then its gone.
Old 01/21/2014, 17:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceking View Post
So you would load every item upon server start?
Not saying its a bad way just curious.

And it isn't really hard to implement.
Upon player login, just fill a dictionary with all that players items from the database. Then you just need to save it back whenever there are changes.
This way also ensures there is minimal data loss in the event of a crash.

If the server crashes or power fails and all that data in the RAM isn't saved, then its gone.
Excuse me, I forgot to mention. But I'm wondering about the information of all items (ItemType) and not the information of the items players.
Old 01/21/2014, 20:22   #8

Oh, I would definitely say database.