Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 22:38

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

new to p-server

Discussion on new to p-server within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
new to p-server

Hey...

So i decided to make p-server for conquer...i had some expiriences with making MuOnline p-servers... now.. i decided to try with conquer.

But as i see thrue forum its a lot of surces to be used, so i wanna ask you guys wich source code do you recomend that is stable, dont have mayor bugs and that is playabla, im looking for classic conquer source without cps,lottery, steed,soul, pirate,ninja,monk. ( or is it possible to use any newer source and just remove cps, and those thing i dont like?)

tnx for all the help. hopefuly with your help il set up a good server
Old 04/27/2012, 19:37   #2

I recommend you to NOT use any of the sources, but instead learn to program and use a couple months on that and once you've mastered the language to an extend where you can start working with network programming, cryptography, data structures and such things then start making your own source from scratch.
Thanks
1 User
Old 04/27/2012, 22:44   #3

learn to program what language?? c++? c# ? do you have any good e-book related with this?
Old 04/27/2012, 22:54   #4

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,114
Any language you feel comfortable with. If you want to code a java source, go ahead. If you want to code a C++ source, more power yo you. Most sources around here use C#. Google is an amazing resource. You can use some of the more credited sources here as references as well. They're not all that bad (just most of them are).
Old 04/27/2012, 23:02   #5

oh okey i...but what is the most common mistake they make in source??
Old 04/27/2012, 23:08   #6

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercek View Post
Speaking from experience...

Not designing systems that are scalable.

A system might 'work' but once you get say 10, 20... 100 players online, things start to fall apart cause you never designed the code in such a way that it efficiently manages an increased number of users.

That and not testing all possible conditions something can be used under (not error checking before processing is 90 pct of the errors I see with people's codes). Error checking goes a LONG way towards making a server that's worth while, past that is just writing systems in a scalable way, making them easy enough to read for debugging purposes and well.. that's about it.
Old 04/27/2012, 23:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercek View Post
Mostly, the sources aren't coded with efficiency in mind. They're coded to "work". If something "works" then it's left alone... which of course isn't the right thing to do. I can make a send function two miles long and it'll "work"; it doesn't mean it's right though. Threading, database queries, and packet processing is a big problem in a few sources too.
Old 04/28/2012, 00:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
Mostly, the sources aren't coded with efficiency in mind. They're coded to "work". If something "works" then it's left alone... which of course isn't the right thing to do. I can make a send function two miles long and it'll "work"; it doesn't mean it's right though. Threading, database queries, and packet processing is a big problem in a few sources too.
How do u find Trinity Source ? Networking , Database , packet Handling
Old 04/28/2012, 00:27   #9

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Trinity knockoffs are rather bad. The original source was a nice base with a few problems but the 'trinity' sources you see floating around are old failed versions of Trinity that were sold off and highly edited by people who had little clue what they are doing.

As such, I view them much in the same light as all lotf ripoffs... trash.

That being said they aren't completely worthless, I'd just be super cautious when thinking about building a server off of them. They are notoriously unstable.
Old 04/28/2012, 00:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman123 View Post
How do u find Trinity Source ? Networking , Database , packet Handling
Idk. I haven't really spent much time with it. When I used to develop with Impulse (indirectly through Coder Machine), I noticed a lot of inefficient threads like the monster thread. Threading wise... that source might be a mess. I never looked deeper into it past the monster thread. Networking in the source is decent. The socket system is above average... I'm pretty sure the version you have in it was my first Async socket system or Impulse's first. The version depends on how old it is, I guess. The database system ... well, I think all MySql database systems are ****. That's a matter of fact too. MySql < MsSql. Packet handling can be better. Impulse is really unorganized - or he used to be. If you have nothing to compare his source to though, I guess it's ok.
Old 04/28/2012, 00:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
Trinity knockoffs are rather bad. The original source was a nice base with a few problems but the 'trinity' sources you see floating around are old failed versions of Trinity that were sold off and highly edited by people who had little clue what they are doing.

As such, I view them much in the same light as all lotf ripoffs... trash.

That being said they aren't completely worthless, I'd just be super cautious when thinking about building a server off of them. They are notoriously unstable.
oh After u said that ill think of Making Source from Scratch which gonna cost me 1 Year or So And at same time i dont wanna make A Shitty Server which come with Errors that could struggle Ppls Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
Idk. I haven't really spent much time with it. When I used to develop with Impulse (indirectly through Coder Machine), I noticed a lot of inefficient threads like the monster thread. Threading wise... that source might be a mess. I never looked deeper into it past the monster thread. Networking in the source is decent. The socket system is above average... I'm pretty sure the version you have in it was my first Async socket system or Impulse's first. The version depends on how old it is, I guess. The database system ... well, I think all MySql database systems are crap. That's a matter of fact too. MySql < MsSql. Packet handling can be better. Impulse is really unorganized - or he used to be. If you have nothing to compare his source to though, I guess it's ok.
Thx for your Informations ..im lil bet DisAppointed About making A good Source from scratch ..
Old 04/29/2012, 12:49   #12

Received Thanks: 1,565
lmao this is a classic reason why the Server API wouldnt take off.

PS. dont try and learn programming just because of conquer, conquer doesnt follow any of the standard rules.
Thanks
3 Users