Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2
You last visited: Today at 03:10

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Timstamp on packets

Discussion on Timstamp on packets within the Conquer Online 2 forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
OK I have 2 questions regarding the timestamps on packets

If you create your own packet, do you just use the current time and does it matter if the packets are not in timestamp order when sent to the server

If you have a proxy that decrypt/encrypts packets to and from the server/client and there is a delay causing slight lag (like 1k ping instead of 300) would modifying the timestamp help?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 08/21/2006, 13:17   #2

elite*gold: 20
It doesn't matter what time you use, as long as there is consistancy between packets. If you send 2 jump packets with the same timestamp, it would be detected on the server as a speedhack. You'd need a few hundresd ms delay in the timestamps on the 2 packets. They do need to be in timestamp order.

The actual client simply calls winmm.timeGetTime() for timestamps, with a few exceptions. Chat packets use only the minutes of the time, and botcheck packets xor the timestamp with the playerID.

Lag can't be fixed by modifying timestamps. It's entirely the time taken for the packet to be transferred from server to client. If you have a proxy causing some lag, then you probably need to optimise some areas of it.
Old 08/21/2006, 14:51   #3

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by unknownone@Aug 21 2006, 13:17
It doesn't matter what time you use, as long as there is consistancy between packets. If you send 2 jump packets with the same timestamp, it would be detected on the server as a speedhack. You'd need a few hundresd ms delay in the timestamps on the 2 packets. They do need to be in timestamp order.

The actual client simply calls winmm.timeGetTime() for timestamps, with a few exceptions. Chat packets use only the minutes of the time, and botcheck packets xor the timestamp with the playerID.

Lag can't be fixed by modifying timestamps. It's entirely the time taken for the packet to be transferred from server to client. If you have a proxy causing some lag, then you probably need to optimise some areas of it.
Thank you for answering both questions

I thought I knew the answers to both but I wanted to check, I can live with 1000 ping for what I want it for at the moment, I know why its lagging I just have to figure out how to stop it :P