Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 12:00

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Star Wars: The Old Republic goes semi-free to play

Discussion on Star Wars: The Old Republic goes semi-free to play within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Star Wars: The Old Republic goes semi-free to play

After much hype, Star Wars: The Old Republic blasted onto the MMORPG scene with style. Months later, EA were left with a falling playerbase and worried executives scratching their heads. What was the problem? Well the general consensus was that the game simply sucked. It was noted as another WoW clone by some critics, which isn't surprising considering how many MMORPGs being pushed out in the last few years have been just that. Regardless of the reasons, The Old Republic is failing, and so Bioware have resorted to the trusty old free to play model, and here's what will be different about The Old Republic come Autumn this year:
  • The game will be optionally free to play until level 50, with some restrictions.
  • A new cash shop currency called "Cartel Coins" will be available. With this currency you can purchase a premium subscription (which gives you access to all of the game), you can purchase individual features, or you can buy classic item-mall favourites to boost your character.
  • We have word of even more new content updates, though whether this is a good thing or not is really up to the players to decide.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be going on sale this month in preparation for the new free to play model. During the promotional period, the game will be sold for $14.99 USD, and will include one month's free trial. While previous subscribers do receive bonuses and "grants" once the game goes free to play, I really don't see the point in paying for the game now, when you can try it out for free later on. Unless, of course, they plan on raising the subscription price.

I'm certain that deal is unavailable as of yet, if it becomes available at all to us lowly European players, but for now you can still buy the game at full price here. And, just for funsies and to give you a taste of what you may be missing, I've included a promo video below. Though keep in mind, these videos (that were responsible for the aforementioned hype) do not really represent any gameplay, but rather a possible hint at the story, and they're just fun to watch.

Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars: The Old Republic goes semi-free to play-old-republic-logo.jpg  
Thanks
4 Users
Old 08/01/2012, 12:16   #2

Item shops are the best way to make game destroyed in really fast time.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 08/01/2012, 12:35   #3

yeah Free to play suck hard, unemployed go find some work and start to farm irl .....
Old 08/01/2012, 12:58   #4

elite*gold: 50
The Black Market: 126/1/0
Received Thanks: 1,226
I hate games with a 'Item-Shop', but that was to be expected.
Old 08/01/2012, 13:12   #5

elite*gold: 4
Und was bekommen diejenigen welche das Spiel für 50€ gekauft haben, **** ea.
Old 08/01/2012, 13:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluna771 View Post
Und was bekommen diejenigen welche das Spiel für 50€ gekauft haben, **** ea.
Bei so einem Spiel, welches auch von den monatlichen Gebühren und notwendige gekaufte CD zum kostenlosen Spiel changte, hat man wenigstens noch Besonderheiten bekommen ... das ist ja schlimm, aber hier ist das catttttastrophääl
Old 08/01/2012, 13:30   #7

It was inevitable, really. I wouldn't be surprised if you can make a lot more from a well-done IM than a subscription. Look at Aeria Games, for example. They're a prime example of a company that swims in free to play, pay to win games and they rake in cash.
Old 08/01/2012, 16:49   #8

is it really a bad game?
Old 08/01/2012, 17:22   #9

elite*gold: 29
i tryed the game out and personally i thought this would happen,i dont even understand why the game was p2p.......the game had only The NAME which made the game popular not the gameplay......in my Opinion WoW still surpasses all the p2p games atm.....
there is only 1 MMORPG which will be as good as WoW if not even better and thats Guild wars 2.....everything else atm is mostly crapy wannabe games.......
Thanks
3 Users
Old 08/01/2012, 20:48   #10

Man und ich hab das Spiel gekauft ..
Old 08/01/2012, 20:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsType View Post
Man und ich hab das Spiel gekauft ..
Wie fandest du das Spiel?
Old 08/02/2012, 00:02   #12

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt™ View Post
i tryed the game out and personally i thought this would happen,i dont even understand why the game was p2p.......the game had only The NAME which made the game popular not the gameplay......in my Opinion WoW still surpasses all the p2p games atm.....
there is only 1 MMORPG which will be as good as WoW if not even better and thats Guild wars 2.....everything else atm is mostly crapy wannabe games.......
Guild wars the first was a piece of ****, and seeing gameplay videos of Guild wars2, the 2nd game will be also a fail.
Old 08/02/2012, 01:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze* View Post
Guild wars the first was a piece of ****, and seeing gameplay videos of Guild wars2, the 2nd game will be also a fail.
Why?
Old 08/02/2012, 04:06   #14

Quote:
“Game Login
Subscribers will always be in login queues ahead of free players.”
They’re dreaming of login queues with these restrictions lmao. Such a failure…
Old 08/02/2012, 08:50   #15

elite*gold: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze* View Post
Guild wars the first is really old game,and its still better then most of games...
guild wars 2 is really good game,in my opinion the best game i ever played,i played every beta there was out and tryed everything,gw2 is not boring game nor can you get bored easy,like in the rest of games.....PVPs are awesome,World vs World is even better......dont really understand whats there not to like.......Guild wars 2 is most expected game at the moment.......
in my opinion GW2 even if it was pay2play it would be still succesful .

But yea,this is my opinion,there are people like you who dont like this kind of game,but there aint much like you out there tho....

Tags
swtor