Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Other Online Games > Browsergames > DarkOrbit
You last visited: Today at 11:49

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

New Dark Orbit in 2022 (not a private server)

Discussion on New Dark Orbit in 2022 (not a private server) within the DarkOrbit forum part of the Browsergames category.

Old 02/03/2022, 11:19   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gueuledange View Post
Since we were discussing modern alternatives to the DO concept I figured i should share this :

Yo bogoss,

Why are you using gamemaker? can't you start something fresh out of Unreal Engine or something ? so you can expand and develop unlimited things? don't know
Old 02/03/2022, 15:35   #17

number 1 reason 100% of people started the game was mainly due to the popularity of mmporg. The interest for space during the time was also a big impact.
Also the mechanics and design of DO are helpful.

99% reason people continued playing it, was because of Jackpot arena.
Having the opportunity to win something as large as 10 000 euro was the BIGGEST reason people were drawn towards it.

Today it's still the biggest reason, that's why they haven't removed the jackpot collected amount. Once they remove that, then the game will be TRULY dead.
Old 02/03/2022, 17:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntox View Post
Yo bogoss,

Why are you using gamemaker? can't you start something fresh out of Unreal Engine or something ? so you can expand and develop unlimited things? don't know
Well actually very few people know this but gamemaker has also unlimited potential when you get advanced enough. It's just very hard to do high level 3D compared to Unity or Unreal Engine, and it also has a smaller community. But for 2D gamemaker is very good you even have good games that are released on Playstation & Nintendo made with gamemaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightLikeMe View Post
number 1 reason 100% of people started the game was mainly due to the popularity of mmporg. The interest for space during the time was also a big impact.
Also the mechanics and design of DO are helpful.

99% reason people continued playing it, was because of Jackpot arena.
Having the opportunity to win something as large as 10 000 euro was the BIGGEST reason people were drawn towards it.

Today it's still the biggest reason, that's why they haven't removed the jackpot collected amount. Once they remove that, then the game will be TRULY dead.
Jackpot is something i don't see pointed out a lot but it's true it has it's importance in retaining the most dedicated players. I know i personally didn't care about Jackpot but I was also not a very dedicated player. I played because i liked the mmorpg social vibes of playing with many people online like you first mentionned.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 02/03/2022, 20:17   #19

I can guarantee you, once they introduce the JPA again, or jackpot battle , any of the 2 with the 10K to win, DO WILL blow up.

Many people seem to agree on the fact that these kinds of games are a waste of time, the JPA was the thing that made it seem like it was an investment, rather than a waste of time.
Old 02/03/2022, 23:38   #20

I don't think JPA is a thing atm, since many players can just do 1vs1 whenever they want in multiple private servers or even in the maps, we are way more organized than years ago and putting money from your own pocket as a trophy for the winners is never good for health.

Here goes an suggestion.

I think the most viable solution is JPB, where the prize is the money from the own participants. For example, a entry fee + initial prize (Uridium/Ammo): Cost to participate 1€, minimum registered participants (with paid fee): 66 (22 per company). So minimum prize 66€ + initial prize.

To difficult and even to avoid groupping at JPB, the map could be separated in 6 blocks with 11 participants in each block, once each block has it's survivor, the map could be splited into 2 blocks, left and right side of the maps (can you even imagine what i am talking about ? lol) with 3 participants in each (6 survivors total), and then, the final with 1 survivor in each side.

I hope that may awake someone's interest, specially yours @
Old 02/08/2022, 21:08   #21

Old 02/26/2022, 14:19   #22

So how's the development going? I would definetly be interested in trying out the game
Old 02/28/2022, 00:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiinCS View Post
So how's the development going? I would definetly be interested in trying out the game
Hey,
Going good, i'm working on making some aliens along with the combat system
I'll be participating to a big GameJam competition soon so i'll pause the development for a few weeks but i'm excited to continue this masterpiece.

If you want to try last demo feel free to join the discord, you will find the download link, some feedback would be appreciated !

Discord :
Old 04/18/2022, 17:37   #24

I disagree with the notion that Darkorbit needs to be changed in order to be "good" in 2022. The reason I played this game for most of the time is for nostalgia. It´s like a time machine.
And every attempt to modernize Darkorbit miserably failed. Be it the new design or new items and new combat.(i bet the devs are lol players)
The game was perfect in 2008-2012. It was also more elegant in its retro style. The current Darkorbit is overblown with new stuff. And that is also happening to Darkorbit Alternatives that get "evolved" into something different. The results always suck in my opinion.
At the end of the day, the old Darkorbit was the best. It was not for everyone but it was never supposed to please all people in the first place. If there was a stable old school Darkorbit that never changes it would be the perfect Darkorbit. People would always come back and have their fun in this time machine to relive the old times.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 04/20/2022, 16:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MankarCamoran View Post
I disagree with the notion that Darkorbit needs to be changed in order to be "good" in 2022. The reason I played this game for most of the time is for nostalgia. It´s like a time machine.
And every attempt to modernize Darkorbit miserably failed. Be it the new design or new items and new combat.(i bet the devs are lol players)
The game was perfect in 2008-2012. It was also more elegant in its retro style. The current Darkorbit is overblown with new stuff. And that is also happening to Darkorbit Alternatives that get "evolved" into something different. The results always suck in my opinion.
At the end of the day, the old Darkorbit was the best. It was not for everyone but it was never supposed to please all people in the first place. If there was a stable old school Darkorbit that never changes it would be the perfect Darkorbit. People would always come back and have their fun in this time machine to relive the old times.
I appreciate your feedback it makes a lot of sense.
But you're also proving the point that it can't work in 2022 because it is a "time machine": people would play it today only because of the nostalgia of the memories of playing when being a kid. New potential players that never played before and don't have nostalgia will never consider playing retro dark orbit.
If retro dark orbit was a good game in 2008 today it is not anymore, the expectations of players have evolved and games have gotten better.

Getting interest of old nostalgic players isn't the topic of this thread, what I want to discuss is what can be changed to attract NEW players in 2022.

ps: updated preview of the game i'm working on

Thanks
1 User
Old 06/08/2022, 13:13   #26

elite*gold: 10
What I have learned from 10 years playing darkorbit since 2009:

The issue with Darkorbit is that the game is fun in the following conditions:

- players have random equipment but comparable, noone has the best equipment
- if someone has the best equpiment then they are overpowered
- NPCs don't take eternity to destroy
- it is fun when NPCs give boosters

This means that you have to do the following:
- best equipment can be only equipped on a weak ship
- equipment and inventory randomly disappears to prevent eveyone having the best equipment
- large NPCs give random boosters
Thanks
2 Users
Old 06/08/2022, 18:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
What I have learned from 10 years playing darkorbit since 2009:

The issue with Darkorbit is that the game is fun in the following conditions:

- players have random equipment but comparable, noone has the best equipment
- if someone has the best equpiment then they are overpowered
- NPCs don't take eternity to destroy
- it is fun when NPCs give boosters

This means that you have to do the following:
- best equipment can be only equipped on a weak ship
- equipment and inventory randomly disappears to prevent eveyone having the best equipment
- large NPCs give random boosters
Very interesting feedback, I can tell you are clever and know what you're talking about because I came to the same conclusions :
There has to be a turn over in the food-chain so everyone has his chance to be at the top for a limited amount of time. Keeps the game diverse and fun.
Randomness and unpredictability is important to keep the game exciting and give everyone a chance.
Destructible equipment is very important for a balanced game economy.

These are things I will for sure implement in my future game

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/04/2022, 12:05   #28

elite*gold: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gueuledange View Post
Very interesting feedback, I can tell you are clever and know what you're talking about because I came to the same conclusions :
There has to be a turn over in the food-chain so everyone has his chance to be at the top for a limited amount of time. Keeps the game diverse and fun.
Randomness and unpredictability is important to keep the game exciting and give everyone a chance.
Destructible equipment is very important for a balanced game economy.

These are things I will for sure implement in my future game

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion
but make sure the equipment disappears randomly because if it's predictable (e.g. damage over time and then destroyed), then it's basically only more expensive equipment. Or limit buying new best equipment in time (cooldown) etc.
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/10/2022, 09:11   #29

A video update of the game i'm working on: