Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 05:31

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Running a server Without getting screwed.

Discussion on Running a server Without getting screwed. within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Running a server Without getting screwed.

Hey i Used to run a CO server.. and got quite a few players but then i a DMCA letter and i shut down ... i wanna run another server but i dont wanna get shutdown. or dmca (dmca i think means i gget sued)... can anyone help me with this and tips ideas or clue about the law?
Old 08/16/2011, 01:27   #2

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Tq has never done anything past sending letters.

You just ignore them and keep on going.
Old 08/16/2011, 01:31   #3

Seriously? Becuase that DMCA letter really spooked me.

can you send me a private message with he law and tips to get around it becuase i dont wanna be screwd over xD
Old 08/16/2011, 01:33   #4

elite*gold: 28
Its too much money to sue a server for a company like TQ, At worst blizzard would consider, CONSIDER, shutting a wow server down.

TQ cant affort to loose money. no no no.
Old 08/16/2011, 01:37   #5

i thought if they sued they again money :S? see this is what i need to know could you please explain more do you have msn if so could you private message me ya addy?
Old 08/16/2011, 01:49   #6

To sue someone it requires

-Hiring lawyers
-Going to court (spending the time there + lawyer costs)
-Suing someone who can actually PAY the fine

So yes... there is NO reason for tq to sue private servers.

As for the law... Redistributing copyright files is illegal. So if you are not using hacked tq server files (custom source, not binaries) and you aren't using any images of theirs on your website and aren't distributing their client then it's fully legal.

The ONLY thing commonly illegal about non bin servers is distributing the client but you can easily get around that (don't host the client yourself, use current patch so that they can use the official client, etc)
Old 08/16/2011, 01:54   #7

so say i made a 5165 and a website with only my images and a downoad page saying client Patch witch was like.. server.dat and itemadd.ini ect thats legal?
Old 08/16/2011, 02:13   #8

Yupp. They'll still probably send letters if it got popular but there isn't anything they can really do (they don't do anything anyways... but if they decided to you would be fine)

Keep in mind that legit or not, many hosting companies will shut you down at the first complaint as they don't want a bad reputation. This is unlikely but DOES happen.
Old 08/16/2011, 02:19   #9

Ahh wow very nice. Do you have a msn you can pm me id like to talk more to you but i dont wanna flood forums cuz it bumps it lol.
Old 08/16/2011, 09:06   #10

Wasn't it QO who had more than 10 letters? I know for sure CoEmu had about 3 or 4 as well.