Ddos attack on dedicated server

05/22/2013 03:14 ZiCo*#46
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalblade View Post
Velestia was under ddos for 2 days straight now. It stopped at some point and started again... and then there are our lovely kiddies that love finding some sorta small exploit hole.

but well, just be ready to pay 1k$ to rival and they'll mitigate anything for ya... Atm Velestia is building their own small network with reverse proxies and mitigating ddos... its easier to manage it and its actually a bit cheaper as well!

In future, we can offer this service to other pservers which aren't in direct competition to us, thereby having a fairer competition in total :)

PS: hyperfilter is at 300$ atm, if it hasnt been mentioned already.
Proxy ?
Do you even know what you are talking about?!
05/22/2013 03:14 MaximumDark#47
Quote:
Velestia was under ddos for 2 days straight now. It stopped at some point and started again... and then there are our lovely kiddies that love finding some sorta small exploit hole.

but well, just be ready to pay 1k$ to rival and they'll mitigate anything for ya... Atm Velestia is building their own small network with reverse proxies and mitigating ddos... its easier to manage it and its actually a bit cheaper as well!

In future, we can offer this service to other pservers which aren't in direct competition to us, thereby having a fairer competition in total :)

PS: hyperfilter is at 300$ atm, if it hasnt been mentioned already.
I am sorry, but any attempt to build your own network, without really having your own infrastructure, won't make you any good, comparing to good market solutions...

Especially because for these proxies you might be using vps, clouds or whatever companies are offering, and you shouldn't have a larger protection level with these, making it easy to put it down, as long you have enough power...

Remember, the cheap you go, the worse it gets...

Anyways, It is just an opinion.
05/22/2013 12:03 royalblade#48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDark View Post
I am sorry, but any attempt to build your own network, without really having your own infrastructure, won't make you any good, comparing to good market solutions...

Especially because for these proxies you might be using vps, clouds or whatever companies are offering, and you shouldn't have a larger protection level with these, making it easy to put it down, as long you have enough power...

Remember, the cheap you go, the worse it gets...

Anyways, It is just an opinion.

Well its a lot better than hyperfilter... hyperfilter was down because of around 2k bots ... They've sent us a log of the mitigated connections afterwards.... The ips were originated from Brazil, costa rica, equador... basically south america. Tell me how much traffic 2k bots could create knowing they are from 3rd world countries mainly.

Also check the aws website, they offer quite good instances which can be bought with elastic load balancers partially.
05/22/2013 13:40 MaximumDark#49
Quote:
Well its a lot better than hyperfilter... hyperfilter was down because of around 2k bots ... They've sent us a log of the mitigated connections afterwards.... The ips were originated from Brazil, costa rica, equador... basically south america. Tell me how much traffic 2k bots could create knowing they are from 3rd world countries mainly.

Also check the aws website, they offer quite good instances which can be bought with elastic load balancers partially.
You are wrong, HyperFilter don't got down due to '2k bots', the thing is that depending on the attack, they must analyse and mitigate it for you, and probably this is what they've done right ? After they do this type of procedure, the same attack technique will never again, cause any harm to you...
05/22/2013 14:03 KoKsPfLaNzE#50
Velestia, was only ddos at the begin, or?
05/22/2013 14:24 MaximumDark#51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKsPfLaNzE View Post
They can't really determine, when it was only at the begining or not, first because the protection they use is 100% automated and unless in two reasons :

1) A new attack the company never heard of is done.
2) An attack is higher than what they are paying happens.

They won't know they are being DoS/DDoS'ed, although yes, as he said above, he had 1~2 days of troubles in the start of his server.
05/22/2013 19:51 Callum#52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKsPfLaNzE View Post
The DDoS began at like 2-3 days into the server, and continued for a few days
05/22/2013 21:50 Nezekan#53
Quote:

The guy who can't even spell 'professional' correctly is going to build a DDoS mitigation solution.

Don't let me laugh, seriously :o
05/22/2013 21:59 Callum#54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezekan View Post
The guy who can't even spell 'professional' correctly is going to build a DDoS mitigation solution.

Don't let me laugh, seriously :o

I'm confused on what grammatical errors have to do with building a ddos migration solution
05/23/2013 00:49 MaximumDark#55
Hello,

What I think is that this subject is a bit more complicated, than what the guys are doing with their game servers, it requires study, it requires investing, it requires engineering, it requires a team and alot of work and dedication, and obviously 'much money'.

So to be honest, everybody can try to do its 'hacky solution', or try to take advantage in 'someone else back' to resell something...
05/23/2013 03:42 ZiCo*#56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
I'm confused on what grammatical errors have to do with building a ddos migration solution
Actually it's not the grammatical errors , it's about what he wrote.
It shows that he got 0 knowledge about Proxies/DDOS Mitigation.
05/23/2013 16:21 Nezekan#57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
Well, I'm actually experienced in the sector, a project like this requires a huge investment, skilled staff and good contacts. Tell me, how is a guy that runs a buggy server, thinks Venture was 'pinging his server' (pinging is the new DDoS attack?), only has half the features he actually listed (not that anybody seems to care) going to start a project even the biggest web hosting companies do not attempt to do? :)

I know that guy paid you to do a good word for Velestia, but if you really want to become a moderator on this forum I suggest you loose the atittude, let the people who actually know what they're talking about talk, and don't make assumptions about stuff you know shit about ;)
05/23/2013 16:26 PortalDark#58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezekan View Post
Well, I'm actually experienced in the sector, a project like this requires a huge investment, skilled staff and good contacts. Tell me, how is a guy that runs a buggy server, thinks Venture was 'pinging his server' (pinging is the new DDoS attack?), only has half the features he actually listed (not that anybody seems to care) going to start a project even the biggest web hosting companies do not attempt to do? :)

I know that guy paid you to do a good word for Velestia, but if you really want to become a moderator on this forum I suggest you loose the atittude, let the people who actually know what they're talking about talk, and don't make assumptions about stuff you know shit about ;)
pinging can be used to DDoS little connection servers(ping <ip> -t -l 65000)
but is pretty lame since only works on slow connections, as well as being able to avoid by disabling ping answer
but the fact that saying that is the way to DDoS those servers is just pfffffffffffff

@creationist
Even if you are not longer on their team(AFAIK) I suggest to go more neutral when referring to them, as that link to them can really affect your chances