Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > 9Dragons
You last visited: Today at 15:10

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

9Dragons pserver development

Discussion on 9Dragons pserver development within the 9Dragons forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Talking 9Dragons pserver development

Hi there, I decided to look into 9Dragons again and noticed that a lot of private servers either went silent or ****** over their community again...

I'm curious to see how New Dawn will do but I'd also like to contribute to this server community.
I'm a 1st year Software Engineering student from The Netherlands who is familliar with runescape p-server development, Java, C# and a little bit of Haskall & Python.

I've looked online for bases, but most "releases" have big "Watch out this is a virus" posts with it & other junk or warnings... is there anything stable that I could use to learn the protocols n framework and start working on it for a tad?
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/28/2020, 21:02   #2

Received Thanks: 1,013
1. Learn C++
2. Get some basics of reverse engineering.
3. Download the US2012 files from ZeroBurner's guide (can't link it though because of epvp rules).
4. ???
5. No profit, because this community wants everything here and now, for free.

Okay, let's be serious now, for a sec. C# and Java knowledge would help if you really are going to do the whole server emulation. Also, I'd rather go with C# than Java because of the way data are stored - it's easier to manipulate endianness and lower-level stuff, based on my experience (had to code quite a ****** stuff in Java for compressing entities into QR codes, so kinda know the deal). This way, you don't have to download any sources, just Wireshark the **** out of it. Of course when you are done with reversing the encryption algorithm.

You may find some old client and "server" sources on GitHub. Basic C++ knowledge is required, but that shouldn't be a problem for a person with programming experience.

You can set up the server just with files that are somewhere around, but can't really help with a download link.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/28/2020, 21:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adek1994 View Post
9D is almost 15 years old game, even the official content bores people, not to mention playing on private server grinding for the same **** for 10+ years, so what exactly do you expect?
Fan developers need to be aware that they would do it only for their own love for the game lol.
Old 03/28/2020, 21:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugea View Post
9D is almost 15 years old game, even the official content bores people, not to mention playing on private server grinding for the same **** for 10+ years, so what exactly do you expect?
Fan developers need to be aware that they would do it only for their own love for the game lol.
That's what I meant. Just wanted to clarify that. Also, it's the developers' fault if they can't provide something interesting.
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/28/2020, 21:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamzor View Post
Hi there, I decided to look into 9Dragons again and noticed that a lot of private servers either went silent or ****** over their community again...

I'm curious to see how New Dawn will do but I'd also like to contribute to this server community.
I'm a 1st year Software Engineering student from The Netherlands who is familliar with runescape p-server development, Java, C# and a little bit of Haskall & Python.

I've looked online for bases, but most "releases" have big "Watch out this is a virus" posts with it & other junk or warnings... is there anything stable that I could use to learn the protocols n framework and start working on it for a tad?
good luck with whatever you're trying to do
Old 03/29/2020, 15:29   #6

There is lots of things missing, but there is lots of useful things enough to mess with things up.

Happy research.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 03/31/2020, 12:06   #7

Quote:
1. Learn C++
2. Get some basics of reverse engineering.
3. Download the US2012 files from ZeroBurner's guide (can't link it though because of epvp rules).
4. ???

Okay, let's be serious now, for a sec. C# and Java knowledge would help if you really are going to do the whole server emulation. Also, I'd rather go with C# than Java because of the way data are stored - it's easier to manipulate endianness and lower-level stuff, based on my experience (had to code quite a shitty stuff in Java for compressing entities into QR codes, so kinda know the deal). This way, you don't have to download any sources, just Wireshark the shit out of it. Of course when you are done with reversing the encryption algorithm.

You may find some old client and "server" sources on GitHub. Basic C++ knowledge is required, but that shouldn't be a problem for a person with programming experience.

You can set up the server just with files that are somewhere around, but can't really help with a download link.
Thanks for the info, would be my first time reverse-engineering something so that might be a fun adventure.

How come all current p-servers died out? Pure the corruption scandals etc. or no updates etc. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugea View Post
9D is almost 15 years old game, even the official content bores people, not to mention playing on private server grinding for the same shit for 10+ years, so what exactly do you expect?
Definitely true, in RSPS there is a good amount of $ for decent developers due to the amount of servers and high demand for developers.... but I just like 9Dragons, wanted to play a good p-server but there are none at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -------ii------- View Post
good luck with whatever you're trying to do
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by soly95 View Post

There is lots of things missing, but there is lots of useful things enough to mess with things up.

Happy research.
Thanks, will look it through
Old 03/31/2020, 12:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamzor View Post
Thanks for the info, would be my first time reverse-engineering something so that might be a fun adventure.

How come all current p-servers died out? Pure the corruption scandals etc. or no updates etc. ?
9DS lost the community and was corrupted iirc. Also no real development was done for some last time (though the owner suggested that he's going to rewrite the client).

No need to talk about Eclipse and all of their past servers, I'm sure you know the situation.

Zeron died out because of no active development. Project Alpha got struct with the DMCA or whatever it was called.
Old 03/31/2020, 15:59   #9

Quote:
9DS lost the community and was corrupted iirc. Also no real development was done for some last time (though the owner suggested that he's going to rewrite the client).
9DS never really had a corruption scandal, it just ran out of content. Last I spoke to the owner, he managed to run the game on unreal 4 and had some videos of it but finished university last year and is pursuing his career. He did 9d more as a hobby while in school and doesn’t have the time unfortunately.
Old 03/31/2020, 16:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxus7 View Post
9DS never really had a corruption scandal, it just ran out of content. Last I spoke to the owner, he managed to run the game on unreal 4 and had some videos of it but finished university last year and is pursuing his career. He did 9d more as a hobby while in school and doesn’t have the time unfortunately.
Everybody does this, this is what I was saying.

Even the official developers seems like they are doing it as a hobby.
Old 03/31/2020, 16:04   #11

Quote:
Just a reminder: Zozo & Tenge. But nevermind that.

We all did 9D as a hobby, nobody that's not a mental guy throws his money into private server scene, especially for a game that has such a small community.
Old 03/31/2020, 17:18   #12

Quote:
Just a reminder: Zozo & Tenge. But nevermind that.

We all did 9D as a hobby, nobody that's not a mental guy throws his money into private server scene, especially for a game that has such a small community.
Tbh I do remember the Zozo & Tenge situation but not sure how that would be considered corruption. More they were exploiting/hacking and were banned but yeah unfortunately the owner seems to have lost his passion for the game or rather time.
Old 03/31/2020, 17:32   #13

Quote:
Tbh I do remember the Zozo & Tenge situation but not sure how that would be considered corruption. More they were exploiting/hacking and were banned but yeah unfortunately the owner seems to have lost his passion for the game or rather time.
yeah that's a pity. that's why i appreciate the OP for putting time into the game
Old 03/31/2020, 17:47   #14

if you are looking for a tester, i volunteer as tribute
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/31/2020, 20:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSyku View Post
if you are looking for a tester, i volunteer as tribute
same lol

Tags