Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Off-Topics > Technical Support
You last visited: Today at 07:29

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Video card (?) issues

Discussion on Video card (?) issues within the Technical Support forum part of the Off-Topics category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Video card (?) issues

Hello there everyone.

Just now I thought about asking in here, hope anyone can help me out.

Basically, I got a Toshiba Satellite:

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory:
6144MB RAM
Hard Drive:
732 GB
Video Card:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Now, I use this to develop software as well as playing games (mostly over Steam). I bought this computer around 5 months ago, by the way.

Everything works fine with it, yet since some weeks ago when I get into a game, it runs smooth for a couple of minutes, yet, after this, a sound appears, like a "feedback" sound (hard to explain) and it gets the game to lag for about 10 seconds now (it didn't last that much last week), and then it would be happening around every two minutes.

Now, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers for Intel HD Graphis Series 3000, it didn't work. I went to the drivers' GUI and used the built-in function to look for updates, it gave me an updated version, I applied it, but still nothing.

So, I don't know what else to do, and when I bought this laptop, they didn't provide me a serial number for my original Windows 7 version, therefore I wouldn't be able to reinstall the OS....

Any ideas?

Thanks beforehand.
Old 11/16/2012, 21:29   #2

elite*gold: 0
Hey,
did you already checked the temperatures? Maybe your laptop runs just to warm for the cpu to run smooth.

If you want know your Windows Key, there are some programs that can help you, for example the.

I think we can help you if you could give us your temperatures while playing

Best Regards and sorry for my bad english
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/16/2012, 21:34   #3

Which software would you recommend for me to use in order to get accurate temperature while playing?
Old 11/16/2012, 21:38   #4

elite*gold: 26
Received Thanks: 12,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHeatz View Post
Which software would you recommend for me to use in order to get accurate temperature while playing?
Gpu-z, make sure you check both checkboxes (Logfile&update while in background)
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/16/2012, 21:39   #5

I personaly use , but programs like for example should do fine aswell.
Edit: GPU-Z should work fine too, as Kazaaa said.
Edit2: The Free Version of the JellyKeyfinder should work to get the windows key, even if it is not mentioned in the checkbox on their website. I got the free Version on my Computer and it works for the key
Best Regards
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/16/2012, 21:52   #6

Thanks for that, I am using GPU-Z, and here is the log file:
Attached Files
File Type: txt GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt (59.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 11/16/2012, 22:10   #7

Well 92° Celsius is kinda high, try to put your laptop on some books or something so that the fans can work properly.

And also do a logfile again
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/16/2012, 22:12   #8

Well, most of the time I actually have it on my lap, yet as the fan is on the right side of it, I leave it "in the air" I thought about purchasing a cooler for it, but I wasn't sure if it was due to that or something else (drivers/the chipset itself...)
Old 11/16/2012, 22:15   #9

Hi,
it seems for me as if the temperatur is the reason for those lags.
The temperatur is going up to over 90 degreas followed by a 100% gpu-usage, this could be the reason for the short lags.
Did you ever cleaned the fans of your laptop? I would recommend it
My english is too bad to explain it to you in english, but maybe you can find some good tutorials for it. It's not hard to do, but you have to be careful.

Another idea would be a cooling pad for your laptop, like .
This is just an example for a cooling pad to show what I mean, I got no idea which one is the cheapest/best or whatever

I just saw, Kazaaa was faster with his post
Follow his steps and tell us the result
Edit: And your answer was also even faster. I'm writing to slow, ****.^^
Edit 2: Did you already managed to find out your windows keys?
Just in case someday something bad happens to your laptop, so you can reinstall windows without problems.

regards
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/16/2012, 22:16   #10

Its kinda strange that your laptop gets this hot after five months, did you use it in your bed or something similiar?

Best you can do is a backup and send your laptop to your store so this problem gets solved - otherwise you have to clean your gpu fan -> warranty will expire.
Old 11/16/2012, 22:21   #11

I did what was said, on books and as well put it on a table with the fan's side in the air, this is the result

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaaa View Post
Its kinda strange that your laptop gets this hot after five months, did you use it in your bed or something similiar?
Well, if I have put it on my bed, it has been for no longer than 5 minutes, but I didn't think putting it there would be that bad to be honest....I will check if the warranty is still up (should be) and well, nothing else to do then, because being honest, I feel how hot it gets as the fan is on the side that I use the mouse on my desk, and it gets really hot
Attached Files
File Type: txt GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt (30.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 11/16/2012, 22:35   #12

Okay 100°C is way too high... but also your gpu is on 100% so this could alse be your problem.

That onboard gpu is not made for games :/ Anyways, you should try to use your warrenty, otherwise your gpu will just melt.

Btw. yep, the worst thing you can do is to put your laptop on your bed (2nd worst place would be a room full of smoke)
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/16/2012, 22:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHeatz View Post
I did what was said, on books and as well put it on a table with the fan's side in the air, this is the result

Well, if I have put it on my bed, it has been for no longer than 5 minutes, but I didn't think putting it there would be that bad to be honest....I will check if the warranty is still up (should be) and well, nothing else to do then, because being honest, I feel how hot it gets as the fan is on the side that I use the mouse on my desk, and it gets really hot
The temps are still very high, I agree that it would be the best idea for now to use your warranty and backup your data as Kazaaa said before.
Else you will may loose your Warranty by cleaning up yourself or some hardware gets damaged somehow, whatever.
Good Luck with your Laptop and I hope you'll get it back working fine soon.

Best Regards
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/22/2012, 23:21   #14

Just to update here, I just got my laptop from Toshiba tech support yesterday, they changed the whole motherboard and reinstalled operating system. I might start running my own tests for GPU temperature to see if it changed anything, but so far I have just The War Z installed and it is noticeable how much the fans are working while running graphics...

Weird fact that the advertisement for the video chipset on this laptop was based on it "being able to run Battlefield 3" and games that ask for less specs are giving me issues...