Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > General > Suggestions & Feedback
You last visited: Today at 01:04

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Silent Moderating / Lack of Notification

Discussion on Silent Moderating / Lack of Notification within the Suggestions & Feedback forum part of the General category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Lightbulb Silent Moderating / Lack of Notification

Hello,

This is a bit of both i guess?

The silent moderating on this site is well for the birds. We as members are never notified as to when our content is deleted. No warning, no pm, 0 notice.

There has to be something that can be done about this in general. If a mod is removing content they should state the reason as for it's removal rather then deleting or w/e they choose for their own personal reasons. This is one of the only major forums i have been to that does this quite constantly.

This is and has been an ongoing trend in the flyff sections, i am not sure if this is all over the site per-say.

However a moderator in the flyff section was doing it quite abusively and was getting away with it for quite some time before he left his position after being reported several times about it.

Is there anything that can be done about this in general?

- Ketchup
Thanks
8 Users
Old 02/26/2017, 06:52   #2

elite*gold: 7110
Received Thanks: 25,394
I personally agree with you that visible moderation is preferable to silent moderation in terms of transparency. I like how reddit shows a deletion notice for each and every deleted comment (except those that are deleted by the creator themselves).

I don't think messaging the users for each deleted post would be practical as it would become tedious very fast (although, on the other hand, it would encourage mods to not delete too fast; but there are sections where a rigid moderation style is really necessary). It is not always necessary to warn/infract a user for a deleted post either.

So, what do you think of deletion notices like they are shown on reddit? We actually have them visible in the Black Market already. See post for example (just picked a random thread with deleted posts inside).
Thanks
2 Users
Old 02/26/2017, 07:31   #3
wild wild son

Received Thanks: 3,369
First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback and your interest in improving our forum, elitepvpers.

The method of deleting a post (only) is applied in case of relative harmlessness, this basically means that the respective post is indeed a violation of our rules, but it does not necessarily have to result in a warning. Generally, a warning is often misinterpreted by our users, we simply don't want to annoy them in such a harmless case. Unfortunately, the deletion reason is not shown to the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchupSamurai View Post
This is and has been an ongoing trend in the flyff sections, i am not sure if this is all over the site per-say.
It does not affect the entire forum as it depends on the moderator's style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSm!th View Post
So, what do you think of deletion notices like they are shown on reddit? We actually have them visible in the Black Market already. See post for example (just picked a random thread with deleted posts inside).
Might be the solution. Page not found, .
Old 02/26/2017, 14:46   #4

I don't think we need to be pm'd so much, but a notification of the moderators action would be at least nice. I do get it and i do understand that it's over tedious to send pm's when you delete content.

However a notice would be nice in general, all to much i have seen my content evaporate over the last year without notice. Some situations it hasn't been spam it's just been removed for w/e reason. Then go back and look and can't find it because its been silently purged is like pulling teeth lol.

I also firmly believe that notices, would also take some heat off the moderators to, as it would have mutual benefit. Even soft deleting is a better option then hard deleting like in the post shown.
Old 02/26/2017, 15:32   #5

elite*gold: 7110
Received Thanks: 25,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchupSamurai View Post
I don't think we need to be pm'd so much, but a notification of the moderators action would be at least nice. I do get it and i do understand that it's over tedious to send pm's when you delete content.

However a notice would be nice in general, all to much i have seen my content evaporate over the last year without notice. Some situations it hasn't been spam it's just been removed for w/e reason. Then go back and look and can't find it because its been silently purged is like pulling teeth lol.

I also firmly believe that notices, would also take some heat off the moderators to, as it would have mutual benefit. Even soft deleting is a better option then hard deleting like in the post shown.
All deletions done by moderators (actually all deletions in general) are soft deletions, since moderators don't even have the permission to delete posts physically. It's just that the notice is only visible to staff members (well, except for the BM where everyone can see them). This is because deletion reasons were considered internal in the past and even though that's not really the case anymore, there are still members who actually don't want to see them and are annoyed by them (we even got complaints when we made them visible to the general public in the BM). Unfortunately that's not a user-customizable setting either, so if we make them visible, everyone will have to cope with that.

Hence this really comes down to two questions:

1. What does the majority of the users want? If they approve the idea, the course of action will be pretty clear.
2. If the majority is against making them visible, do we value transparency over this nuinsance and do it anyway?
Old 02/26/2017, 16:51   #6
"Ich muss noch viel von dir lernen" - Sm!th'17

elite*gold: 2325
The Black Market: 165/1/0
Received Thanks: 9,628
Quote:
Hence this really comes down to two questions:

1. What does the majority of the users want? If they approve the idea, the course of action will be pretty clear.
2. If the majority is against making them visible, do we value transparency over this nuinsance and do it anyway?
I would suggest to create a poll for that and maybe feature it in the next newsletter
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/26/2017, 19:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotus View Post
I would suggest to create a poll for that and maybe feature it in the next newsletter
I agree
Old 02/27/2017, 01:22   #8

elite*gold: 20
Well idk if i understand it correctly but when a mod deletes the post they send you a pm or not?
Or didnt i understand it?

If yes then sorry for the post. ^^
Old 02/27/2017, 07:37   #9
eager to elevate

Received Thanks: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry850 View Post
Well idk if i understand it correctly but when a mod deletes the post they send you a pm or not?
Or didnt i understand it?

If yes then sorry for the post. ^^
No we dont. You get a pm if you get a warning or infraction.
Old 02/28/2017, 22:26   #10
wild wild son

Received Thanks: 3,369
FYI: I passed it through to the team, there have been first results that will be revealed soon.

Edit: [Official Poll] Vote now!
Thanks
1 User