Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 04:56

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Timeline explanation for the Legend of Zelda

Discussion on Timeline explanation for the Legend of Zelda within the Gaming News - EN forum part of the Gaming News category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 3
Received Thanks: 1,335
Timeline explanation for the Legend of Zelda

Hello elitepvpers! Today we bring you something a bit different, we're talking about The Legend of Zelda and the timeline of the game, events that set other, key events into motion and stuff like that. Now, I am oblivious about the game, so all the credits for this one go to my buddy Bane. The timeline itself was released by Nintendo, the article below looks at it from a different perspective (sort of a little spin on it).

For those of you die hard Zelda fans, you probably have heard that the timeline was released, recently there has been a huge commotion over this timeline, which is why I have taken the time to write out this article.
Disclaimer, everything I will use for this will be taken directly from the games dialogue/content, there will be spoilers along with a slight chance of disinformation here and there
The chart stats that the Zelda world started out under rule of Hylia, the Goddess, she was given a magical blessing, sent by the gods known as the Tri-force, the Tri-force had the ability to shape anything that the user had in mind. At first there was peace, humans lived in harmony with spirits and there goddess, but then an evil force known as Demise created a elite army of evil, with one intent - to take the Tri-force, and destroy earth. Hiyla fought off Demise to the best of her abilities, until finally driving him into the ground and sealing him there. During the fight, she was injured, and placed two separate, but intertwined plans into play. One, she created someone who could wield the Tri-force as a whole, he would become The Hero, two - she gave up her godly form, and became mortal, waiting the day Demise would return.

And so starts The Legend of Zelda.

Now, during Skyward sword, we learn A LOT of important things, first off that the Master Sword once went by a different name, the Skyward Sword, and it was the very first hero, The Hero of the Skies, (fan named), that turned it into the sword of Evil’s bane. Second, we learn that the first Zelda/Link lineage was fully intended by the Goddess, and third we learn that the reason there is a never ending loop, before Demise was struck down by Link and Zelda, he placed a curse on all of them, forcing the world to endure a never ending war. There are also hundreds of other details, but I won’t post them, as I don’t want to ruin the entire game.

So, now we have our bases, Hiyla > Skyloft > Link forges the Master sword through many challenges > Zelda and Link kill Demise > Curse is placed.

Before the official time line was released, most people thought that the Minish Cap had no true spot in the Zelda story, but this is wrong, the main reason that the Minish Cap has a spot before OoT, is really just because in this story, it talks about why the Khroki are all dressed in green, and why they take a humanoid form when they can become anything they want. Another thing that happens is a new threat is born, Vetti, who is not only used in the game but is also used in The Four Swords.

, Hiyla > Skyloft > Link forges the Master sword through many challenges > Zelda and Link kill Demise > Curse is placed > Events of Minish Cap, and the Khroki dress as humans > Vetti is killed > Vetti is killed again.

So now we come to the Ocarina of time (OoT from now on), this is where everything split, pretty much three things can happen.

1) Link seals Gannon, and is returned to his childhood by Zelda, where he warns of impending evil, and Gannon is imprisoned.
2) After Gannon is sealed, the era continues to flow.
3) Link does NOT win and instead is killed, causing a great depression.

Now, 3 is the one most people don’t understand, pretty much it means what it says, Link is defeated, he doesn’t win, he losses. But remember Demise’s curse, so long as the world exists, so will Link, Zelda, and Gannon. So after some time known as the “Sealing war” Gannon is sent to the dark world, where he corrupts a wizard there, and splits off a new personality - Agahnim, the antagonist of the game. At the end of the game you kill Agahnim, and a dark bat emerges reviling it’s self as Gannon.

Now, instead of getting into a over analysis of the rest of this era, it works like this. Seasons/ages were linked, we fight the two witches in this game and Gannon, bosses from OoT that were never killed, since Link didn’t win. At the end of the linked version of either game, you see link sailing off to a new land, which is how Link’s adventure starts.

In Zelda and Zelda 2 you once again chase after Gannon, completing the tri-force and killing him, in The Adventures of Link you actually stop Gannon resurrection, which ends the chain.

Now look at ending 2 for OoT, Link wins, but the adult era lives on.

In the story to Wind Waker, were told that a great evil emerged before a hero was ready, so the gods flooded Hyrule to stop this, years later, Link is born again, as with Zelda in this game, you do something different though, you imprison him, along with the sword, underwater in the remains of Hyrule. We know that this game comes into play here because Phantoms Hourglass has details that give it undeniable proof that it is placed directly after Wind Waker, and Spirit Tracks takes place right after, in the new continent Tetra and Link founded. It can also be noted that in Wind Waker, the king of Hyrule tells you about how The Hero of Times part of the Tri-force was broken when he left, and scattered across Hyrule, hinting about the split.

Now, the last ending, the child ending is simple to get, so I will just make a bit of a timeline here:

Link returns, Zelda warns the Sages of Gannondorf > he is sealed > happy mask salesman does not die > Majora’s mask > years later The Sages still cannot kill Gannondorf, so they banish him to the twilight realm > he uses a resident of the realm to break free > Link kills him in Twilight princess > events of 4 swords adventures, giving us a better intake on Gannon and Vaati.

From Hylia and creaion, to Zelda and destruction, Hyrule has seen great battles, but as long as there is courage, wisdom, and power, so shall there be a conflict, in which the grand hero must overcome.

Thanks for reading, once again, all credits go to Bane and Nintendo.
Attached Thumbnails
Timeline explanation for the Legend of Zelda-zelda-logo.gif  
Thanks
8 Users
Old 02/12/2012, 22:46   #2

elite*gold: 0
Received Thanks: 1,777
Me and 12 years of analyzing Zelda are now on the front page D: //dies
Old 02/15/2012, 14:50   #3
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,470
2 errors
1- is Ganon, Gannon was a misspelling on the first LoZ
2- this timeline has and is being debated even by Miyamoto itself and other CEO on the Zelda franchise, so is not 100% official

aside of that, im a timesplitter believer(those that believe time split on OoT)
i like to see ToZ stuff here(still wondering why Zelda hasnt hit MMO)

anyone getting here and thanking Bane and ConArtist and not liking Zelda, has no taste of gaming(dont even call urself gamer)
Old 02/15/2012, 17:37   #4

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 11,067
I couldn't really follow the whole story, too much information at once (actually i didn't even know that Link dies in one part o.o)

Zelda is a great game, i own "Link to the past" for the SNES an Majors Mask for the N64 i spent a lot of time in both games since they are great adventures. I still want to buy Ocarina of Time which is one of my favorites and some gamecube parts since i got one for xmas :3
Old 02/15/2012, 18:57   #5
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Αcid View Post
I couldn't really follow the whole story, too much information at once (actually i didn't even know that Link dies in one part o.o)

Zelda is a great game, i own "Link to the past" for the SNES an Majors Mask for the N64 i spent a lot of time in both games since they are great adventures. I still want to buy Ocarina of Time which is one of my favorites and some gamecube parts since i got one for xmas :3
Link never dies on a game
is just assumed what could have happen if
Old 02/15/2012, 18:58   #6

elite*gold: 3
Received Thanks: 1,335
Gamecube still exists? You live and you learn. I'll give the game a go if I ever buy the consoles needed.
Old 02/15/2012, 23:31   #7

Not that I was saying link died, he was mearly "defeted", take it how you want to.
Old 02/16/2012, 15:29   #8

I can get the point of timeline even without playing the skyward sword.

In my point of view the skyward explains that link and ganon exists and cursed to go on in a never ending war.
Old 02/16/2012, 16:51   #9
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windbreak View Post
I can get the point of timeline even without playing the skyward sword.

In my point of view the skyward explains that link and ganon exists and cursed to go on in a never ending war.
mark why the hero wears green clothes
why the hero is destined to use the triforce
it marks varius stuff on the series, aside the most important, the creation of the Master Sword
Old 02/16/2012, 22:00   #10

The Black Market: 87/0/11
Love zelda. Never actually played all the series though :/
Old 02/17/2012, 11:54   #11

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 11,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
Link never dies on a game
is just assumed what could have happen if
Oh now i get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConArtist View Post
Gamecube still exists? You live and you learn. I'll give the game a go if I ever buy the consoles needed.
Lol of course gamecube still exists, even the first Nintendo (which i have as well but no Zelda for it) =p

*hint Emulator hint*
Old 02/17/2012, 19:53   #12
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Αcid View Post
Oh now i get it.

Lol of course gamecube still exists, even the first Nintendo (which i have as well but no Zelda for it) =p

*hint Emulator hint*
gamecube on wii ftw
Old 02/21/2012, 01:39   #13

This thread explains nothing. I just wasted 5 minutes reading and trying to understand this guy's pathetic views. Ahahahahahaha this guy is totally wrong.
Old 02/21/2012, 13:53   #14
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutn View Post
This thread explains nothing. I just wasted 5 minutes reading and trying to understand this guy's pathetic views. Ahahahahahaha this guy is totally wrong.
next time before posting this kind of commentaries, try looking on google first
ConArtist is not wrong, since Nintendo release(only in Japan) the book "Hyrule Historia"
in this book comes the official timeline

Old 02/26/2012, 22:37   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
next time before posting this kind of commentaries, try looking on google first
ConArtist is not wrong, since Nintendo release(only in Japan) the book "Hyrule Historia"
in this book comes the official timeline

Actually, it was writen by me and posted by con, but ya I agree with you, google it first this is just what the book said, with my own little interpenetration taken from dialoug, (which makes me wonder how he can say I was completly wrong.)