Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 08:13

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Texturing your models.

Discussion on Texturing your models. within the CO2 Weapon, Armor, Effects & Interface edits forum part of the CO2 Guides & Templates category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Texturing your models.

This is a [temporary] guide for creating .dds textures in relation with IDivideByZero's thread. I recently reformatted my computer so unfortunately I am unable to provide images, but the procedure is not too difficult. It has also been a long while since I have created any new models, so my instructions may or may not be precise and some mild experimenting on your side may be required.

A bit of what I can remember is adding an Unwrap UVW modifier, and under "Parameters" clicking the large Edit button (below this section you should see some other buttons like PlanarMap and tickable axis boxes; I believe it should be set on Z Axis)
and make sure the UVWs are set properly. If my memory is correct, the skeleton should seem flat with the general shape as if you are looking at the model from the Top viewpoint. It may appear messy but as long as it coincides with the Top viewpoint, you're good to go.

Once you save/apply the UVWs, go to Utilities > Texporter (find it here: ), set the .dds size (128x128, 256x256, 512x512) and save it on your computer. Then you access Photoshop/Gimp, open the saved file, clean up the alpha layer if needed and work in your texture. When it's completed, save the file again. Once you're back in 3DsMax simply apply the material (see the .c3 guide or Google how to apply material) and pray. If any of the areas of your texture are misaligned on your model you can go back to Unwrap UVW modifier -> Parameters -> Edit tab and move around the vertices until your texture lines up properly.

Once it looks good, rename your .dds file it to align with your .c3 file (xx0x39.dds) and place it in c3 -> texture of your CO folder.

I hope my memory served me correctly and that everything works well. If you get any errors or have any questions, I'll try to satisfy your query.
Thanks
6 Users
Old 08/10/2010, 00:28   #2

works thank you so much ^.^
Old 08/10/2010, 20:23   #3

much easier way i discovered. use a 512x512 jpeg while working in 3ds to see how the model is with a texture, when ur done simply add an alpha layer thats pure white to the jpeg and save it as a dds. dont need a texporter.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 08/11/2010, 20:12   #4

yup Alex's method is easier, works with every multiple of 4 btw (128*128 256*256 512*512, and etc )

Do the UVW Unwrap step with a resized image, once you're done, open this picture in photoshop; save as dds.

Texporter was very buggy with me, thanks alex
Old 08/28/2010, 12:18   #5

Question

When I want to save the it... it doesn't save...?

Any help?

[EDIT]
Just got it saved...
But it's a wierd image... how should I texture it?

PS: It's only a part of the weapon...

Regards,

Brandon
Old 08/28/2010, 17:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonpiano View Post
When I want to save the it... it doesn't save...?

Any help?

[EDIT]
Just got it saved...
But it's a wierd image... how should I texture it?

PS: It's only a part of the weapon...

Regards,

Brandon
its quite easy after change the UV Unwrap after you click the edit button select all faces then go back to the UV Unwrap settings scroll to the bottom click planar > Axis Z > Reset and the UV Map will look just like the top view of you model and you can go to texporter and continue from there
Old 08/28/2010, 18:21   #7

or, second solution for more details,

On your uvw unwrap tab after having clicked the edit button, go to Mapping/normal mapping/ and select top/bottom mapping
your model might perfectly fit the pic u used, and you can replace vertex correctly if not,

but both ways are easy to do
Old 08/28/2010, 19:37   #8

When I've got the UWV's all corectly, and I go to Texporter... it only shows one part of the weapon?...
Regards,
Brandon
Old 08/28/2010, 19:59   #9

you dont need texporter at all dude ^^

Alright, so when your model is completely textured,
just go in 3ds max / images / and open the image you used to texture your model, in photoshop
Without doing anything: File/save as/ save as .dds

then export your model to .c3 and rename it , same for .dds. and put the files in your conquer folder =)

3ds max is doing all the work for you, texporter isnt needed, i actually never used it

PS: the size of the image you used must be 128*128 or 256*256 or 512*512 or any mutliple of 4 or it won't work
Old 08/28/2010, 20:40   #10

Question

lawl.,,,,
But HOW do I texture it???
How do I get the shape and **** in the image>???
Old 08/28/2010, 21:36   #11

aaaaw i thought i already textured it
***, might take longer to explain then =p

ima just take screenies and make a guide then , or pm me