Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 19:58

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Pay-To-Play Conquer Online Server?

Discussion on Pay-To-Play Conquer Online Server? within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: Would you join a Pay-To-Play Server?
Yes! I would pay 10+ $ for it (monthly) 6 10.91%
Yes! I would pay up to 10$ for it (monthly) 5 9.09%
Yes i would pay up to 5$ for it (monthly) 9 16.36%
No i would never pay for a game. 35 63.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/12/2010, 22:51   #16

elite*gold: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
When you first think of it it sounds like a good idea but in practice it simply wouldn't work.

Sure, if you had a server worth subscribing to you would be able to attract some people but it simply wouldn't be enough to maintain an active server (say... 50 subscriptions?... server would get boring FAST with that few players)

Hell, even commercial mmo's are moving towards micro trasactions. You simply can't justify charging a monthly fee for most mmos any more if you want to get a decent player base.

That being said... there is no excuse to not run a proper ingame economy or to allow for donator over powering.

Personally I plan to have a fairly regulated and balanced economy on my server and do fund raising through other means such as selling vip levels (basically subscriber BENEFITS) or possibly through selling HmPoints (usable to start server events or other things that change the entire server, not just your own character... IE: guild halls)
/cough world of warcraft

@OP: as for a p2p system, give access to maps that have low spawn rates, terrible drop rates, etc, for free players, and people who are flagged as paying get access to better areas. That means free can still "play", even if it is more difficult, but paying get a noticeable advantage without being super OP. You can implement that sort of system in many things, but remember not to make it incredibly unfair because there will be plenty of people who will just refuse to play and a bad system will just get you less players in the end.

Also, as far as hosting goes, you should first look at alternatives to getting your server running for free rather than jump right into paying a chunk every month and hoping people can support it. Chances are, you will not get a ton of paying people right away. (by alternatives, I don't mean terrible home internet connections)
Old 11/12/2010, 22:53   #17

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone-you View Post
/cough world of warcraft
Yah ironically enough wow has killed the subscription mmo... to compete with the millions of subscribers it has, other mmo's are being more and more forced to go towards micro transaction model.
Old 11/12/2010, 22:57   #18

The microtransaction thing is how companies exploit users. It has nothing to do with WoW or anything. Look at games that implement it. Here's a good example: Evony. Anyone who knows about that knows what I mean. People spend hundreds to thousands a month because they can. Make it a subscription model, and they wouldn't have as many players or income.... but that's because of the type of game it is. Companies are moving towards cheap games that have cheap production values and put out microtransactions to bank as fast as they can on people before they catch on that the game totally sucks, or that they've spent too much to quit and keep spending.
Old 11/12/2010, 23:08   #19

elite*gold: 0
Paying for an already free game?
o.O

Lol lets all do like TQ, rip moneys.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/12/2010, 23:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by |NeoX View Post
To backstab 75% of the ppl who worked hard on their char but simply cant pay to play?
No, I didn't mean it that way. It was a type, I meant let them know it's a trial then the real deal will begin. Tell them before you start the server... happy?
Old 11/12/2010, 23:39   #21

lol this is even worse then TQ.
TQ lets u play for free and give u the choice of paying.

Here you got no choice, wich makes it worse.
Thanks
1 User
Old 11/12/2010, 23:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 H4X0R View Post
Paying for an already free game?
o.O

Lol lets all do like TQ, rip moneys.
Funny you'd mention that... my account was banned because I decided that the $600 that I paid wasn't worth it... SOoooo... I reversed the PayPals xP
Don't use paypal if you're going to make people pay for your server! Lol!
Old 11/12/2010, 23:44   #23

lol u can just make it not able to be paid back or withdraw moneys as soon they are donated.

Anyways.

Playing the real game for free or donating to play a private server?
hmmm I guess I take the real.
Old 11/13/2010, 00:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 H4X0R View Post
lol u can just make it not able to be paid back or withdraw moneys as soon they are donated.

Anyways.

Playing the real game for free or donating to play a private server?
hmmm I guess I take the real.
or just play a free private server.
Old 11/14/2010, 03:51   #25

I think its a good idea, although I wouldn't pay for a conquer server. I think it would START as a good thing, but I think it would turn into regular CO eventually. I think as soon as the person in charge gets the taste of the profit, he is going to go mad money cash profiting. That's whats wrong with conquer, in my opinion.
Old 11/14/2010, 04:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePredaTe View Post
I think its a good idea, although I wouldn't pay for a conquer server. I think it would START as a good thing, but I think it would turn into regular CO eventually. I think as soon as the person in charge gets the taste of the profit, he is going to go mad money cash profiting. That's whats wrong with conquer, in my opinion.
The thing is, it takes someone that can control power. A lot of the people here code for popularity and power. I did a motivation thread a few months back; mine was that my friends inspired me... while others were all about power. I know a lot of people on this forum that are completely obsessed with power. They know I know who they are so I'm not going to say. I agree with you though. Take a look at my "How to make a good server" thread in my signature. Tell me if you agree with me. =P
Old 11/14/2010, 15:09   #27

Is all about money.
Old 11/14/2010, 16:56   #28

If it was professionally done and run by people that aren't 12 year old's, no cps and people have to actually grind for gears I'd be happy to pay 5$ a month.