Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 22:45

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

PVP server nowadays

Discussion on PVP server nowadays within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
PVP server nowadays

Hello, am I the only pvp player around here?
Every single semi-pvp binary servers suck at the moment.
I really miss servers such as AcidCo, GeekCo, ProjectX...
PVP tournaments were the greatest thing we experienced in Conquer Online.
How about some of you game developers/coders consider opening a real pvp server?
I'm pretty sure you still have access to the sources which been used years ago.
This is a suggestion topic, we can discuss it. How much would we have to pay every month for a vps etc..
Old 02/03/2015, 01:25   #2

ProjectX Source is public, use it and host your server, it's posted on this forum.
Old 02/03/2015, 10:47   #3

You've got me wrong. I don't want to open the server, I would be a terrible gm with my coding skills.
All I wanted is to ask if someone is going to open PVP server in near future.
I was just curious how much would it cost to keep the server alive for one month so we could spare some money.
Old 02/04/2015, 19:30   #4

It really depends on what kind of host your getting.. A dedicated(full machine) or VPS..
For starter get a vps .. It will cost you around 25-50 dollars depends on the company..
Old 02/09/2015, 17:43   #5

Word of the bird is that AcidCo may be returning soon.
Old 02/09/2015, 19:32   #6

elite*gold: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphy×ia View Post
Word of the bird is that AcidCo may be returning soon.
What? To shut down after 3 months yet again?
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/10/2015, 06:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xio. View Post
Just the word of the bird Yuk.
Old 02/12/2015, 16:43   #8

elite*gold: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xio. View Post
People need to stop acting like it always just closes when everybody plays it. I remember when AcidCO was kept online for over a month with barely anyone online.

AcidCO comes back - People ***** about the new changes to try and keep you guys entertained and just say it sucks and V2 was better. So then you get V2 back. Untouched. but.. then everybody stops playing anyway.. and then when its been a month with barely anybody online.. it shuts down. no point in keeping a server up that nobody is playing. But oh. It shuts down and everybody gets mad and wants it back.
Old 02/12/2015, 17:04   #9

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreadNought_ View Post
People need to stop acting like it always just closes when everybody plays it. I remember when AcidCO was kept online for over a month with barely anyone online.

AcidCO comes back - People bitch about the new changes to try and keep you guys entertained and just say it sucks and V2 was better. So then you get V2 back. Untouched. but.. then everybody stops playing anyway.. and then when its been a month with barely anybody online.. it shuts down. no point in keeping a server up that nobody is playing. But oh. It shuts down and everybody gets mad and wants it back.
A pvp server just cannot exist these days. The only reason people are going to stay logged in for long periods of time is if they are actively working on their character and that just doesn't work out well for a pvp server's target demographic.

People will get excited about acid, play it for a bit... hell it might even be somewhat popular for a while but people will rapidly lose interest and move on to something else.

As much as the pvp in conquer is fun and unique, it's not what keeps people playing long term. Conquer worked because the ENTIRE game is designed around skinner box psychology forcing players to 'just keep playing' in hopes of some small reward. TQ slowly moved away from that towards guaranteed rewards which really ruined a lot of what kept people playing servers and it's one of the main lessons I see pservers not learning from.

RNG keeps people playing. As soon as you start making things guaranteed (paying cp/dbs for sockets for example) you reduce the addiction factor the game provides.

They can feel free to prove me wrong but I highly doubt a pvp server can exist these days. Servers have to pay the bills or they go under and pvp servers cannot afford to sell anything remotely related to 'power' so all that's left is cosmetics... that's bad in terms of long term revenue when the # of players the server can attract at the best of times is so low.
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/12/2015, 18:15   #10

Turn AcidCo into classic server!
What can goes wrong?
Old 02/12/2015, 21:10   #11

elite*gold: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
A pvp server just cannot exist these days. The only reason people are going to stay logged in for long periods of time is if they are actively working on their character and that just doesn't work out well for a pvp server's target demographic.

People will get excited about acid, play it for a bit... hell it might even be somewhat popular for a while but people will rapidly lose interest and move on to something else.

As much as the pvp in conquer is fun and unique, it's not what keeps people playing long term. Conquer worked because the ENTIRE game is designed around skinner box psychology forcing players to 'just keep playing' in hopes of some small reward. TQ slowly moved away from that towards guaranteed rewards which really ruined a lot of what kept people playing servers and it's one of the main lessons I see pservers not learning from.

RNG keeps people playing. As soon as you start making things guaranteed (paying cp/dbs for sockets for example) you reduce the addiction factor the game provides.

They can feel free to prove me wrong but I highly doubt a pvp server can exist these days. Servers have to pay the bills or they go under and pvp servers cannot afford to sell anything remotely related to 'power' so all that's left is cosmetics... that's bad in terms of long term revenue when the # of players the server can attract at the best of times is so low.
completely correct.

ps: acidco never has relied on donations to keep running - ultimation always kept it running as long as players played.
Old 02/12/2015, 21:44   #12

Would love AcidCO or ProjectPVP from MoronicIdiot Those were the 2 best pvp server ive played.
Old 02/13/2015, 11:56   #13

Quote:
As much as I agree with this statement, guaranteed rewards are also something necessary in order to keep the players engaged (for instance, Blood Shards in Diablo 3, min. 1 rare card from a pack in Hearthstone) in the current gamer culture. Pure RNG driven games (like CO was) are fun for people who have a shitton of time playing, but devastating for casuals. You kind of have to find a middle ground.
Old 02/13/2015, 16:16   #14

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
As much as I agree with this statement, guaranteed rewards are also something necessary in order to keep the players engaged (for instance, Blood Shards in Diablo 3, min. 1 rare card from a pack in Hearthstone) in the current gamer culture. Pure RNG driven games (like CO was) are fun for people who have a shitton of time playing, but devastating for casuals. You kind of have to find a middle ground.
Casuals aren't what a conquer private server targets though. If you're talking about general game design that's true but when it comes to successful conquer servers you're only really worried about attracting those who are going to drop hundreds of hours into your server and hundreds if not thousands of dollars on pointless cosmetics and loot bags.

The casuals are there to produce content (aka die, over and over) to the more serious players.
Thanks
1 User