Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 13:39

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Question about coding knowledge

Discussion on Question about coding knowledge within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Question about coding knowledge

Hey,

So I am really excited to make a conquer online server, but I believe coding knowledge is something really important to have, and as well can come in very handy when your good in it.
But anyways, I am working with Java from time to time (rsps) and I am reading this book called "Heads First Java" which is very helpful.

But I was wondering is it okay to just jump right into C# or is it truly a recommendation to learn Java first?
Thanks for reading.

Rawr.
Old 12/19/2012, 23:56   #2

C# IS REALLY CLOSE TO JAVA so you will not find a difficulty migrating to C#... ;However, it still possible to create your custom source in java!.
Old 12/20/2012, 00:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial Eugen View Post
C# IS REALLY CLOSE TO JAVA so you will not find a difficulty migrating to C#... ;However, it still possible to create your custom source in java!.
Oh, never knew that was possible, are there any CO-PS's who have made a custom source in Java?
Old 12/20/2012, 02:08   #4

One of the original servers (Qonquer) was programmed in Java at one point. It's been done.
Old 12/20/2012, 04:24   #5

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
most of the tools created by the qonquer staff were in java including qoproxy (many versions of it released around here. It was the first proxy/bot that people went wild with the source code of) as well as the actual qonquer server source (which has never gone public)

As already mentioned, the syntax is quite similar between the languages so moving towards C# would be easy but so would using the public sources as an example to write your own java source. Really boils down to your personal preference and what your goals are.
Old 12/20/2012, 07:26   #6

So I guess it would be recommended to start from scratch.
But what then is the benefit of creating a Java-based source instead of a C# one, and what would be the disadvantage for using Java?
Old 12/20/2012, 09:00   #7

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,376
Knowledge of the language.

Java (as far as I'm aware, I've not used it) does not support unsafe memory handling which can be viewed as either a pro or con. Personally I'm comfortable with basic pointer usage and it can make writing packets simpler but honestly conquer private servers are never going to really boil down to efficiency (assuming you code them properly). It's simply not a large enough environment or complex enough game to worry about saving a few cpu cycles.

TL: DR

Language you program in makes virtually no difference, HOW you program is what matters. Be more concerned with writing efficient and bug free code that is scalable and well documented.
Old 12/20/2012, 09:07   #8

There`s an open source java project floating around, honestly I don`t know how mature it is, but I`m sure you can get something from it.

Old 12/20/2012, 11:33   #9

Hmm..it will take a while to make a source from scratch with Java, but I will get there .
Old 12/20/2012, 14:25   #10

Learning the Conquer Protocol would be a good idea at first ^~^

You could even use existing sources from C# as a reference when coding your source in Java.
Old 12/20/2012, 14:35   #11

True . Maybe a little bit off-topic, but when I have a client and it is a little bit like Conquer 2.0 in the beginning, and I would want to have Arena in it (which was introduced after New Dynasty) would that be possible considering the client version?
Old 12/20/2012, 18:05   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr.co View Post
I am reading this book called "Heads First Java" which is very helpful.
i browsed that book actually... The idea of it is that it gives you the info in a catchy way, but i find it boring. Also the pictures that they put in to help you focus are actually ******* your focus up. epic fail that book imo.

check attached files. The Java Cookbook is really really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr.co View Post
But I was wondering is it okay to just jump right into C# or is it truly a recommendation to learn Java first?
Thanks for reading.

Rawr.
if you understand OOP you will have no issues with c#. In fact i started with java in order to get the oop knowledge but found myself diving into c# rather fast. Probably because of the java limitations on what i`m aiming for.
For a server tho, java should work great.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCPIPSocketInJava.pdf (635.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf Beginning.Programming.With.Java.For.Dummies.2nd.Edition.pdf (5.87 MB, 4 views)
File Type: rar Java Cookbook, 2004.rar (3.29 MB, 2 views)
Thanks
1 User
Old 12/20/2012, 19:15   #13

Thanks I appreciate the help your offering me .