Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Private Server
You last visited: Today at 10:42

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Custom/Edited Maps (Thread Revamp!)

Discussion on Custom/Edited Maps (Thread Revamp!) within the CO2 Private Server forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

View Poll Results: What would you pay for?
I don't want such tools 4 5.97%
I wouldn't pay for any tools (but want them) 34 50.75%
I would pay, but only for a full map creator! 21 31.34%
I would pay for EITHER tool. 8 11.94%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/14/2011, 19:33   #16

elite*gold: 0
I would go with a RED/BLACK Tree that would speed up the rendering
Old 04/14/2011, 21:20   #17

You`re only viewing a screen of the entire map when editing theoretically so you just need to do the scrolling and the tiling, I don`t think that the work with the tree would actually mean that much in such a small thing. Correct me if I`m wrong
Old 04/15/2011, 11:37   #18

not sure, but since there are a **** load of tiles, and zooming/moving would need to recalculate the position/size
Old 10/31/2011, 18:34   #19

elite*gold: 21
Received Thanks: 5,377
BEFORE YOU ASK, THIS IS NOT THE SAME PROGRAM I WAS ORIGINALLY WRITING WHEN I STARTED THIS THREAD... THIS ISN'T EVEN DESIGNED WITH THE PURPOSE OF CONQUER. IT SIMPLY HAS ENOUGH OVERLAP THAT I FEEL GETTING CONQUER USERS TO TEST IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA.

: V0.1.1

This is one of the programs created for my own little project (custom game). It needed a map designer and I just happened to structure things in a way which is quite similar to conquer map structures. As such it would be reasonably easy for me to write a simple conversion to dump files this creates into a format that will be compatible with conquer!

(soon to be) Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I play these maps on conquer??!?
A: Not currently

Q: This sucks/feature X doesn't work!
A: This program is not finished. This is the FIRST test version

Q: How much for conquer maps?
A: We'll see. Right now even if I did let you dump the maps to conquer files it wouldn't be worth paying for.

Q: How to use the program?
A: Please read the instructions section!

Instructions:

I've not included the source code nor do I plan to release it. Simply extract the download anywhere you like and run MapDesigner.Exe. There are a number of default textures added from conquer already but feel free to add your own.

Creating a new Map

Should be obvious but I'll go over the screen.

Map name: The folder it will be saved to. You cannot duplicate map names! It will give you a prompt (Maps/FileName/)

Tile Size The image size of tiles being used (256 is most conquer maps. Some are 512 though. Just look at the size of the textures you want to use)

Map Width Number of tiles wide the map is

Map Height Number of tiles tall the map is

Cells per Tile How many game coordinates you want each tile to represent.

Default Texture This is the initial look for the map. I added (and renamed) some basic ones for you but you can simply use the Add button to load in any new dds image and use it as a default texture (note: this list is populated by adding all dds images in your /content/ folder. If you want to add/remove large amounts of textures from this list, that's where to do it)

Now simply click create map and you should see your initial map screen! Alternatively just click LoadMap, navigate to the map you want to load and click it's QuadInformation.qi file.

NOTE: I may add support for just double clicking the .QI file and having the program load it up... would be nice just skipping this damn screen but w/e!

Using the editor!

WARNING: Use the close button if you wish to save and the (X) button in the top corner if you do NOT want to save. Proper save functionality and prompts will be added in a future version

You can move around the game world by using your arrow keys, the scroll bars and your mouse scroll wheel.

All editor functions are controlled through the map settings window

Brush type controls what you wish to be viewing/editing.

None: You are simply viewing. Nothing is edited at all

Access: You wish to access cell access information. This uses the Brush Value to set cells to either accessible or inaccessible (click the true/false to toggle it!)

Texture: This lets you preview and place textures onto tiles based on what you have selected in the textures library.

Adding new Textures!

Simply drag and drop .dds images onto the map settings window to have them be cattalogued and added to the list. Now you may scroll through them with the "<<" and ">>" Buttons and select/place them in your game world.

Change Log

: Initial Release

: Minor fixes

-Fixed issue where clicking unsigned textures in editor screen would crash the program
-Fixed issue where after creating a new map the files would be flagged as in use (could not save)
-Removed some debugging controls

Known issues:

-Brush size textbox is not working (small change needed)
Attached Files
File Type: rar V0.1.1.rar (1.26 MB, 281 views)
Old 10/31/2011, 18:59   #20

elite*gold: 12
Received Thanks: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited View Post
I would love a tool like that.
I photoshop new maps... I'd love for them to become real maps.
^ As I said before, I would love a tool like that...
but I can't afford it. Honestly, I think you should keep it to yourself. You've improved by so much since I first met you. If anyone deserves it, it's you.
Old 10/31/2011, 19:03   #21

Looks good and would help me quite a bit.

I would pay for it if it worked correctly and were able to properly incorporate the map files with CO.

Keep it up, and I'll watch out for updates.
Old 10/31/2011, 19:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fаng View Post
^ As I said before, I would love a tool like that...
but I can't afford it. Honestly, I think you should keep it to yourself. You've improved by so much since I first met you. If anyone deserves it, it's you.
ooh yah I'm definitely not just gonna throw it all out there when it's done. This is more of a "I need testers and we'll see what happens from there" type of a deal.

Feel free to mess around with it fang I'd love to see what you can whip up with it.
Old 10/31/2011, 19:20   #23

Well, i might not be smart, and im not sure if this bug is caused from my pc but heres it, program wont open, here's a pic
Old 10/31/2011, 19:22   #24

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
Looks great mate, i had a little play around, i noticed that for me atleast if you change height, then change it back and click on the map options form again it crashes.

Other than that i didnt have a problem with the basics atleast.
Old 10/31/2011, 19:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
Looks great mate, i had a little play around, i noticed that for me atleast if you change height, then change it back and click on the map options form again it crashes.

Other than that i didnt have a problem with the basics atleast.
Hmm I cannot seem to replicate the issue. Can you be more specific about the steps that cause it?

-Open map options
-Scroll editor window up/down
-Open map options again

??

I've tried a few combinations and it should not be an issue.

I basically check for that button if gui is null, if it is create a new one, if not display the stored one (so only the first click creates the gui, the other controls just hide/show it)

<EDIT>

Issue is cause you have less than 5 textures in your texture manifest so when you click on the empty image box it's trying to set your active texture to a null element.

fixed for next update

Quote:
Originally Posted by diedwarrior View Post
Well, i might not be smart, and im not sure if this bug is caused from my pc but heres it, program wont open, here's a pic

Ensure you have both of these frameworks installed

Hm... seems there's an issue rarely where the files are being flagged as in use... really odd seeing as every time I write them I specifically open/close both the filestream and the binary reader/writer...

<edit>

Uploaded version 0.1.1
Old 10/31/2011, 19:44   #26

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
I created a map, opened the map options form, set the brush type to access, drew on the map abit, then clicked onto the still open map options form and it chucked an out of range exception, i presume it thinks im still trying to draw on the map.
Old 10/31/2011, 20:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvacs View Post
I created a map, opened the map options form, set the brush type to access, drew on the map abit, then clicked onto the still open map options form and it chucked an out of range exception, i presume it thinks im still trying to draw on the map.
Fixed in the version I just added.

What was happening is there are 5 images on the winform which display up to 5 textures (based on how far you've scrolled through your texture manifest). If you click them it assigns your texture for drawing but there was no checks inplace for people who hadn't added at least all 5 textures so it was throwing out of range exception.

All fixed now.
Thanks
4 Users
Old 11/15/2011, 21:24   #28

always had big respect for u pro, this is the tool i dreamed of since i started pservering like 5-6 ago,if u make this fully working,ill pay for it for sure even tho i never pay for any pserver things, also if u need help whit it, maybe ideas u can pm me
Old 11/15/2011, 21:34   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4never View Post
Well....

I can now load entire maps (and much faster now... not sure how I managed that but I aint complaining! lol)

Originally it was taking some ridiculous amount of time to load ape but now it's just a few seconds.

Obviously no map objects are loaded.

Next up, going to introduce mouse based movement (click/drag and scroll wheel). Then going to create a image exporter to create a full quality picture of the ENTIRE MAP.

Scroll zoom was easy, not bothered with drag stuff. Cleaned up some code but can't export to image just yet because google seems to REFUSE to give any nice guides on how to deal with WRITING image files.

Texture2D is limited to 2048 pixels so I can't use WriteToJpg or WriteToPng... so yah..
Oh my ******* *** it's moving! Or am I still drunk?
Old 01/11/2012, 06:37   #30

So I'm guessing that no one is all that interested in this but I was bored tonight and started actually working on a conversion tool so this could be more useful to people.

Not updating the post right now as I haven't bothered fully debugging the new version and I doubt anyone cares to make like 1 gig of extracted wdf files in order for the tool to work for conversion .

If I continue to be bored next couple days I'll work on structuring dmaps again (I swear I had the structure on my computer but I can't find it...). Once I do that I'll write a 'proper' conversion tool. This was just to make it super easy to get a working prototype of conquer maps exported into my program so that they could be viewed/modified graphically. Dmap edits will be a bit more tricky as I don't use the same sort of game coord system for my maps as conquer does. Might be easiest for me to just make a seperate version of my map viewer just working with conquer files but I'd hate to strip out all the work I'd already done on the subject.

QUESTION!

How much do dds files **** people off? As it currently exists my map editor uses both dds and jpg copies. The jpgs are used in the editor portion (nasty workaround. Winforms cannot display dds images nor xna textures... Easiest to just batch convert them and be able to use them both.)

If people wanted I could just change it so that all through editing you worked with jpeg images (they are all flat terrain anyways. Worst outcome is you lose a bit of pic quality) and then it only switched back to dds when adding the map to the client.

I'd love some input... but up to you guys.

PS: not sure if I posted actual images of the editor here yet...

CUSTOM map (I did not use conversion tool. I made this by hand using CO textures)

Obviously nothing really changed graphically, was just me testing out editor functionality by trying to lay out a simple map using tiles dropped into the editor.

Auto Converted Map

Nothing fancy I suppose was just being able to keep track of where tq keeps all their files and then implement that into my own file structures/directories.