Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Conquer Online 2 > CO2 Programming
You last visited: Today at 05:55

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Supporting PHP in C# Web Server

Discussion on Supporting PHP in C# Web Server within the CO2 Programming forum part of the Conquer Online 2 category.

Old 09/14/2012, 16:44   #16

elite*gold: 0
why even try to reinvent the wheel? you have apache to run the php, mysql to manage the data, cronjobs to automate **** and, well, you can joggle it around from there to embrace it with any other language.
i`m not sure you even have a composed idea of what you are trying to achieve.
Old 09/14/2012, 17:10   #17

What is the point when you have ASP.NET?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET
Old 09/14/2012, 17:15   #18

Because ASP.NET hosting is way more expensive. The guy wants to code a webserver with PHP support, if not for more, it`s certainly a great educational project, why bash him?
Old 09/14/2012, 17:32   #19

i just don't see why the traditional way can't cover his needs. Also, as gabrola stated, i also highly doubt he will be able to write a webserver for php.
Well, if this is truly what you wanna do, then good luck mate.
Old 09/14/2012, 18:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
Because ASP.NET hosting is way more expensive. The guy wants to code a webserver with PHP support, if not for more, it`s certainly a great educational project, why bash him?
But he's already running a C# server, so it doesn't matter. Also a Windows server isn't that much more expensive.
Old 09/16/2012, 23:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Death View Post
i just don't see why the traditional way can't cover his needs. Also, as gabrola stated, i also highly doubt he will be able to write a webserver for php.
Well, if this is truly what you wanna do, then good luck mate.
Have you ever heard of projects for educational purposes? Just saying.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 09/16/2012, 23:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmuneOne View Post
Have you ever heard of projects for educational purposes? Just saying.
and you have to just say on that tone? meh, w.e..
yeah everyone does something just for educational purposes here and there. I was just debating the fact that when starting anything you should look how viable it is and if it is not already covered and working flawlessly.
Again, i was not flaming the man, i was just respectfully stating my point of view on the matter, and i wish him best of luck on his project.

do you people feed of being dicks?
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/17/2012, 10:57   #23

^ Ladies and gentlemen, elitepvpers presents to you the spirit of innovation in person!
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/17/2012, 11:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraHen View Post
^ Ladies and gentlemen, elitepvpers presents to you the spirit of innovation in person!
so now assessing if a project is viable and/or if there are already released versions that do the job just right so you don't have to retype the whole thing is wrong?

By this mentality should stop using the C# API and create your own System.IO, even better you should not use windows at all and make your own OS.. ah **** Intel man, make your own CPU..

Not saying that one could not, just stating the fact that instead of writing to the console in under 1 minute, it would take one a few good years and a shitstorm of money.
Old 09/17/2012, 13:16   #25

Let's all create electricity.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 09/17/2012, 13:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't have a username View Post
Let's all create electricity.
and make php run directly on it.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/17/2012, 14:11   #27

Received Thanks: 1,147
Quote:
so now assessing if a project is viable and/or if there are already released versions that do the job just right so you don't have to retype the whole thing is wrong?

By this mentality should stop using the C# API and create your own System.IO, even better you should not use windows at all and make your own OS.. ah **** Intel man, make your own CPU..

Not saying that one could not, just stating the fact that instead of writing to the console in under 1 minute, it would take one a few good years and a shitstorm of money.
And we shouldn't do our own CO2 emulator, and we shouldn't do our own programs. There are already programs that do those things, so, it's useless. Eh. Apple and Microsoft shouldn't have done an OS. Unix was already there!

Really, you never heard of educational project? That's the thing that help you to learn, and might already exists, so it's help you too to see how it's implemented. And, about competition? If everyone was thinking like you, there would be no competition. One product per objective. And about progress? Some people tried to reinvent some algorithms, some implementations, and oh, it was better! Maybe it would be good to create our own System.IO API, maybe it would be better for some things?
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/17/2012, 14:30   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSky View Post
Really, you never heard of educational project?
Quote:
yeah everyone does something just for educational purposes here and there.
Quote:
That's the thing that help you to learn, and might already exists, so it's help you too to see how it's implemented.
gee thanks..
Quote:
And, about competition? If everyone was thinking like you, there would be no competition. One product per objective. And about progress? Some people tried to reinvent some algorithms, some implementations, and oh, it was better! Maybe it would be good to create our own System.IO API, maybe it would be better for some things?
idk how to explain the idea of progress to you other than by what i already stated in the previous posts. You need to take the wheel, take electricity, computers, OS's, APIs and build from there to take shit further.
Of course, if your project requires you to go on a deeper level, you should do that, by all means.

For example i worked on a gps monitoring system and we could have imported the CPU for 150$ or make our own for 50$ .. we got ourselves a good electrician and now we have a cheap cpu that is quite a bit better.

I never stated that you should not play with shit or that you should not work on something just because it is already done, but I was stating that you should see if what you are trying to do is viable and cost effective.

but anyway, if that is the level at which you understand my posts in this thread.. good for you, lad, good for you..
Old 09/17/2012, 16:09   #29

Quote:
And we shouldn't do our own CO2 emulator, and we shouldn't do our own programs. There are already programs that do those things, so, it's useless. Eh. Apple and Microsoft shouldn't have done an OS. Unix was already there!

Really, you never heard of educational project? That's the thing that help you to learn, and might already exists, so it's help you too to see how it's implemented. And, about competition? If everyone was thinking like you, there would be no competition. One product per objective. And about progress? Some people tried to reinvent some algorithms, some implementations, and oh, it was better! Maybe it would be good to create our own System.IO API, maybe it would be better for some things?
There is no point in recreating something that already exist unless you have a proper reason for it. Ex. optimizing it for better performance, new features etc., but running PHP through C# will never have a good enough reason, because why would a custom made PHP Web server created in C# be better than the webservers already available?

You can't compare a Conquer Server to this, because when you're creating your own Conquer Server then you're customizing it after what you want, but this will have no other purpose than doing the same thing as others are already doing, unless he was planning to customize the actual way of handling PHP then it's another talk, but then he wouldn't even consider using C# as PHP is in C and he would go with the actual source code of PHP.

There is simply no reason at all to do this, not even educational purpose, because when would you ever want to use the knowledge later?
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/17/2012, 16:25   #30

elite*gold: 20
Received Thanks: 2,518
I can think of a fairly good reason to write your own implementation of a php server actually, if you wish to create customised php handling that requires you to rewrite alot of the fundamental php handling. A completely legitimate reason to do it. The language you would do this in however likely wouldnt be C# as you could get more optimisation and performance from using a more granular language such as C.

As for educational reasoning, I dont see why people think its not a valid reason to do something, the best way to understand something is to do it yourself, I see no reason why you wouldnt want to give something like this a try if you were interested in writing your own webserver that supported php.
Thanks
3 Users