Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 22:24

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Hosting service :D

Old   #1

elite*gold: 20
Talking Hosting service :D

Hey all
i know that a lot of persones are looking for a good host to host there private server on

there are a few hosts that do it , but they arent always good or to expensive for what you like

let me say the difference betwean them , it explains a lot

like you know , you need 1GB ram for the server to run normal with no problems

now there is a difference of ram , you got dedicated ram or virtual ram

dedicated is the ram you get from a ramdisk (your memory) and it is realy fast
virtual ram is the amount that get stored on your hard disk and goes a lot slower and just take place of your hd

for the rest they do both the same , exept if the comp crash (i come back to that later)

ok , the first provider i know is vps land
they use virtuozo to create windows vps servers

let me explain virtuozo
virtuozo is based on windows and create a box in windows , it share everything of the main comp and just create a "map" where you store your files in
nothing is dedicated , everything is shared

the "dedicated" mem you get is virtual ram (page file) with the minimum of shared dedicated memory (shared = you use what you use, but if some1 els need more then you got less)

the biggest problem with it is that if your hd crash that the root crash to , so the complete server need to have a re isntall because everything is crashed

they oversell to , selling more then the server can handle (you got 4GB ram and put accounts on it of 8GB ram ... server can never give that mutch ram specialy not if you got 12 accounts of the same on it )

then the last problem you got with virtuozo is that you dont have pagefile to allocate by your own
the program sets a fixed ammount of swap and that becomes your memory

so , overselling = cheap = not that good quality = more problems

then the second host i know
Dehost VPS Hosting (dehost.org)

this website is my own website , and it is based on XenServer

let me explain what XenServer is
XenServer is based on Xen , Xen is a linux program to virtualize windows/linux

the good thing is that it realy cerperate the hd/mem from each other
it prevents that 1 hd crash that the rest follows

now the problem :s
because Xen create virtual containers with his own dedi mem and hd is it not posseble to oversell , you get what they offer you

let me say , if you got 4GB ram and you want to put a client of 8GB on it , then it isnt able to create it because you got only 4GB ram to spend (in total)

that makes it a better way to be shure you never run out of mem with your dedicated mem
the other good thing is that you can put as mutch swap/pagefile as you like (lets upgrade mem to 8GB with 4GB dedi and 4GB swap ) and you get 4GB dedicated ram

the other problem with not overselling is that the price/spects are lesser then what you have with overselling

let me say , you want 1GB ram oversold (virtuozo) then you pay 30$
you want the same not oversold (dedicated allocated and only usable by you)
then you pay 60$

so , it depends what you like to have , and what it is used for
thats all i can explain, i hope this is a bit usefull for you ??

ok , now to the real point

i start selling vps servers to based on windows XP (XenServer : linux root and windows virtualisation)
you can find the info on

in case some1 got more details over this explanation or want to add something , feel free to post

Thank you
Greets magewarior2