Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Popular Games > World of Warcraft > WoW Guides & Templates
You last visited: Today at 14:23

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

[Guide] Making money while grinding back Steamwheedle Cartel

Discussion on [Guide] Making money while grinding back Steamwheedle Cartel within the WoW Guides & Templates forum part of the World of Warcraft category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
[Guide] Making money while grinding back Steamwheedle Cartel

Hey folks.

Just to get you interested in this guide: I made 5000 gold farming Dire Maul for my rep

As I see more and more people grinding reputation with Bloodsail Buccaneers, I thought I would share some things you can make money with if you are going to push back your reputation with the Steamwheedle Cartel using the Dire Maul tactic.

I will make a short explanation of the Dire Maul grinding and then I explain how to earn money there. The Dire Maul method includes no bad influence to your Bloodsail rep so in the end you can be friends with both factions. If you know how to get your rep back just jump down to the gold making stuff.

Two things you may want to do before you start:
- Try to get rid of everything you don't need in your inventory. You will pick up A LOT of stuff!
- If you are an engineer you can set up MOLL-E to get rid of the things you picked up so get it with you.

> Howto push back Steamwheedle rep in Dire Maul

• Where are we going?

Dire Maul in Feralas. There are three entraces here. You need to use the northern one to get to the right place. If you don't have the key, you need to get to the eastern instance first and talk to the imp at the entrace. He will start a chase through the upper part of the instance and at the end you will have to kill him to get the key.

• What are we doing there?

Farming the Guards there to get Gordok Shackle Key - Item - World of Warcraft
They have a high chance dropping by the guards and a very low chance dropping from trash in Dire Maul.
They are used to free Knot Thimblejack - NPC - World of Warcraft
This will award 350 reputation with all factions of Steamwheedle!

I've drawn a map with the locations of the 4 Guards including their patrols. Link here:
Maps - World of Warcraft

What you may not forget: The first guard drops a key which is needed for the upper door and there is another key which you come by while killing the second guard (it's in the chest in the middle of the area in front of the first door, you can't miss it).

There is also a Ogre called Bushwacker, he got a similar droprate for the key as the guards do and he can be summoned by looting the small basket. This basket is located behind the third guard. You need to go up the first ramp and straight towards the wall at the northern end of this terrace. You have to loot the Ogre Tannin there. He will come down the second ramp to the right. Clear the pack at the basket or try to catch him between the two mob packs. Your choice.

The king himself does not drop a key so don't bother killing him for keys. But he has other nice loot which I will get to later.

• Some tipps to be efficient:

If you found a key walk straight to Knot and don't kill any other guards. Free him to get rid of your key and after that you can go get another key from the guards. Drop chances are bad sometimes so this will definitely raise your chances of freeing Knot. After all I have to say the drop chance of keys was roughly 70%. There are good days without any wasted runs but I also got 5 runs without any key. But this only happens in rare cases!

> The Gold making stuff!

• What are we looking for?

There are several things we are looking for. Here is list of them:

Knot Thimblejack's Cache - Object - World of Warcraft
This is the main objective we are heading for. This cache spawns after you helped Knot to escape. It can contain different kinds of leather, cloth and scales. Look for the prices these things fetch in the AH and pick up accordingly. The best selling stuff should be:

Thick Leather - Item - World of Warcraft
Sold for around 7g per stack.

Mageweave Cloth - Item - World of Warcraft
Sold for 10g per stack.

Rugged Leather - Item - World of Warcraft
Sold these for 8-10g per stack.

Runecloth - Item - World of Warcraft
Sold these for 4-6g per stack.

Felcloth - Item - World of Warcraft
Sold them for 10g per 5 cloth.

But the main thing you are looking for in the cache are the epic recipes!
Pattern: Hide of the Wild - Item - World of Warcraft
Pattern: Chromatic Cloak - Item - World of Warcraft
Pattern: Belt of the Archmage - Item - World of Warcraft
Pattern: Shifting Cloak - Item - World of Warcraft

These are BoE epic recipes for tailors and leatherworkers. I put them up for 200g per recipe and they are going well. Many people want these recipes to fill up their profession but they don't want to farm Dire Maul (or maybe they don't even know where they drop).

Drop chances for these recipes are relatively high. Got a dozen of these while grinding my rep back.

• Now that's everything?

Not at all. There is two more things you are willing to get. The first is:

Foror's Compendium of Dragon Slaying - Item - World of Warcraft
This one is fairly rare after all but I got two of these in the end. It seems to drop on the guards too but I never saw that. I killed the king while running Dire Maul. The reason why I did that is relatively easy: you will get to the instance limit because a run does not take up 12 minutes at all. I didn't always kill the king but you can easily kill him 3 of 5 runs to not reach the instance limit. Just take a look at your clock how much time you got left. Another tip: Kill the observer first then the king. They both have a chance of dropping it according to wowhead. I sold these for rougly 300g each.

Another chance of getting them is by looting A Dusty Tome - Object - World of Warcraft
These are small red books which can be found on the floor. I never looted any book from these so the chance seems rather low.

• What about the last thing?

Now for the last thing which really can get you some money! Every six to eight hours there will be a rare mob in the Dire Maul arena which you can find just outside the instace. You will need to look at your chat. If there is a yell announcing one of the following rare mobs you need to take to your heels and get out of the instance and into the arena. The mobs are rather easy (60-70k hp, no problem for a lvl 80 player) and should be soloable as long as you are not beaten up by some other player. Remember you can attack everyone down there even your own faction. It's a FFA arena!

The rare mobs are:
Skarr the Unbreakable - NPC - World of Warcraft
The Razza - NPC - World of Warcraft
Mushgog - NPC - World of Warcraft

Mushgog seems to rarely spawn along with one of the other mobs.

Tip for these: Look with /who z-"Dire Maul" if there are people farming here. If so take a look around before you jump down into the arena. The rare mob and another player could be too much depending on your class. This does not cover players of the other faction so don't blame me if there is one

Now you may ask: why killing them? Easy question: they drop rare loot around level 50 which goes well in the AH and the second thing which will get you a small fortune is:
Orb of Deception - Item - World of Warcraft

This one got me 1000g in the AH which is the normal price. The rare mobs have the highest chance dropping it so don't miss them!

• Anything else?

Being an Enchanter helps to make some additional money here. They guards are dropping green items which DE into Greater Eternal Essence - Item - World of Warcraft
These go for 15g per essence on my server!

• Repair and sell

You can use the NPC within Dire Maul to sell stuff and repair. He is located in the tunnels below the first courtyard after you entered the northern instance. You can even pick up the stuff that brings lots of money at the npc and sell it then as he is just 2 minuten from your normal way through the instance.

Now I am done with this. I think this should help some of you making a little forture while grinding rep back. I got all the stuff I picked up together and made a screenshot of it.

Let's sum this up:

Estimated 100 stacks runecloth: 100x 5g = 500g
8 stacks Thick leather: 8x 7g = 56g
18 stacks Rugged Leather: 18x 9g = 162g
Furor's: 2x 300g = 600g
Orb of Deception: 1000g
Several blue loots rougly 30g each: 10x 30g = 300g
Epic recipes: 11x 200g = 2200g

Not in the image:
Roughly 60x Fel Cloath as far as I can remeber: 3x 40g = 120g
Mageweave dunno how much but some stacks for 10g each, let's assume it have been 8 stacks so another 80g.

This makes 5000g which I just picked up while I got my rep back. I think this is really impressive
Thanks
1 User
Old 02/10/2009, 23:04   #2

How many runs u did for the Runecloth ?
Old 03/02/2009, 18:24   #3

Hey thanks for the tip!!!
one Q.
how many time do you play to get all the stuff?
Old 02/15/2010, 21:00   #4

I was grinding the "Free Knot!" quest in Dire Maul for Steamwheedle Cartel rep also, until today ...

As of this minute, my Steamwheedle Cartel Rep is 35998 (hated), and NOTHING I DO will add to this rep. Completing Free Knot! SAYS it's adding 350 rep in various cities, and kiling Wastewanders and beach pirates in Tanaris SAYS it is adding small amounts of rep, but sadly, IT IS NOT BEING ADDED TO MY REP. :-(((

I opened a GM ticket, but will have to wait to see if it's a bug or not ... I hope it is and that Blizz fixes it IMMEDIATELY.