Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > User Submitted News
You last visited: Today at 22:24

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Why Assassins Creed: Black Flag is Still one of the Best Assassin's Creed Games

Discussion on Why Assassins Creed: Black Flag is Still one of the Best Assassin's Creed Games within the User Submitted News forum part of the News & More category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Why Assassins Creed: Black Flag is Still one of the Best Assassin's Creed Games

Hello everyone,,
People are going to post like crazy about how "this wasn't a great AC game because it wasn't AC, it was a pirate game", even though the article addresses that directly. Just wanted to give a thought on that as someone who appreciates that sentiment but thinks it is taken too far.

I appreciate the consistency of Black Flag compared to so many other iterations. And while what most of us love about AC in general is the well planned, shadowy, I-was-never-there assassinations that many of the games have focused on, we do so forgetting the myriad of tools and means that The Assassins have used throughout their history. There are pacifist assassins, hacker assassins, balls-to-the-walls assassins, all working alongside the stealthy Ezios, Evies, and Altaïrs. And while, granted, I wouldn't want to play a game whose player character was Rebecca Crane or Shaun Hastings back when they were running tech for Desmond, to call them any less integral would be dishonest.

Black Flag takes place in the Golden Age of Piracy, a time of brash, loud heroes and villains. Because of this, I disagree with any outright dismissal as "bad storytelling" or "not a real AC game" based on the idea that an assassin of that time might exist exactly as Edward Kenway did, especially as he is contrasted by Ah Tabai and the West Indies Brotherhood (who, lest we forget, leaned heavily on the assistance of Kenway).

And not only do I believe it closed minded to dismiss the game outright with such narrow expectations, but to do so misses so much of what this game did incredibly well. Personally it is one of my favorite personal redemption stories of a player character in any game; I love Edward Kenway and was invested in his development and transition. Combat, while not particularly complex, was a blast, both player and naval. The most common complaint about Origins I see on this sub is the lack of adaptable, upgradeable player housing, and Black Flag did this better than any AC with the living, breathing, badass Jackdaw (while also having an upgradeable island crawling with music, hookers, and pirates). Excellent and consistent side-quests, still one of the most beautiful games of the series (I can't tell you how many screenshots I have of the Jackdaw facing sunsets and in storms), a memorable soundtrack even beyond the shanties, etc.

I could go on, but this is already way too long. I just hope we might not be too quick to dismiss this game over it being different in so many ways and miss out on how it's still very much an effective, fun, and important Assassin's Creed game.

TL;DR: It's incorrect to flat out dismiss AC:Black Flag as "not a real AC game" given its context alongside what it adds to the series and did so well.

« Kingdom Under Fire II Finally Getting Released! | Neue Regeln fürs Zocken in China »