Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Star Wars: The Old Republic
You last visited: Today at 00:21

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

SWTOR Server Emulator/Private Server Projects

Discussion on SWTOR Server Emulator/Private Server Projects within the Star Wars: The Old Republic forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
SWTOR Server Emulator/Private Server Projects

Hey guys! Been a long time since my last post, but I've been following the development, and now, the (almost) release of SWTOR. I've been following a few open threads on different forums, but haven't heard anything concrete about any projects for a SWTOR server emulator/private server, and I was hoping that someone here would have more info (possibly with links) on any such projects... any info/details would be much appreciated, and while I understand that it may take time (especially since the official release is Dec 20th), I just wanted to follow along with the development process on any existing projects.

This could also hopefully be a thread where we can update each other on new projects, as I know from other games that there are always different types of server emulator/private server software/setups, so the more the merrier (and the greater the selection).

Cheers!
Old 12/14/2011, 18:48   #2

Hey!

As one of the devs for years from multiple of the SWG server projects let me just say that these things take a long long long time. MMO's have gotten much more advanced so these take a huge effort to put together. I don't know of any teams currently preparing to develop a server emulate yet. There probably will be one in time.... Just not yet... Honestly the game is fantastic I highly recommend you picking up a copy of the real game to tide you over until some emulators can come out.
Old 12/15/2011, 03:22   #3

Hey jnaf! Thank you for your reply, and the information you provided. Glad to have someone with substantial experience with such developments here. I think it's very important to recognize the complexity and amount of work that needs to go into creating a server emulator/private server, and it's for that reason that I started this thread to see if any such projects have been started, so that I could follow along, and maybe even help in my own way (as I lack the coding knowledge to do so myself, but have helped look over code to help with finding errors, etc.).

And I think you're totally right about the game and it fully being worth it... that's actually my plan, to play on the main servers till private servers are up... sadly, I missed the pre-ordering rush because I wasn't certain that I was going to be able to devote any time to playing the game, but after being in a few of their betas, the quality of the game is undeniable (especially for Bioware + Star Wars fans).

Looking forward to hearing more from the community here (glad to see that this thread has gotten so many views in only a day)

I just wanted to apologize for breaking any forum rules by posting the name of the another forum when referring to a team that may be working on server emulator/private server development. My apologies to the mods/admins.

But that actually brings up a good question (which I hope a mod/admin can answer): I don't want to push anyone to accidentally break any forum rules by posting any information in this thread that may be against those rules, so is there any way to post information in this thread about such projects without doing so? If not, the last thing I want is for anyone to get in trouble (including myself lol), so please feel free to close this thread. I didn't know if it was ok to request such a project in the emulator or private server sections of the forum (especially since the game hasn't had it's official launch yet and is in the process of early game access), so I just wanted a place for those of us interested to discuss ongoing development/projects.

Thanks!
Old 12/19/2011, 13:05   #4

Received Thanks: 2,010
Well swtor is based on the hero engine so unless they changed a lot it shouldn't be that hard to get the main functions working

I don't think you're allowed to link to other forums, but you could make a thread about a project, even if it started on another forum.
Old 12/19/2011, 13:40   #5

Thanks for the info Nezekan! That's what I thought, which is the reason I didn't post any links, and I hope everyone keeps that in mind when they post any info here

Let's hope we here about many such projects in the weeks to come (tomorrow's release day!).
Old 01/14/2012, 16:05   #6

Well just follow the same path as World of Warcraft server, because the game is "copy-paste" WoW. Good luck to you all on the private server project.
Old 01/14/2012, 16:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krchmar View Post
Well just follow the same path as World of Warcraft server, because the game is "copy-paste" WoW. Good luck to you all on the private server project.
wow fanboy.