Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 14:01

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Linux or Windows??

Discussion on Linux or Windows?? within the SRO Private Server forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old 03/26/2012, 16:29   #16

elite*gold: 62
Received Thanks: 2,952
Wine isn't emulator, but it "emulates". It's alternative realisation of winapi. Well, i'm going to find out if it will work soon. MSSQL server will be hosted on windows machine, ofc.
Old 03/26/2012, 16:49   #17

elite*gold: 0
On Linux (example CentOS) you can use Virtualization Technologies like Xen. It will help you create and manage virtual machine windows/Linux. With more Ram you can install 4 Windows servers: 2 game servers, 1 db server 1 web server.
Old 03/26/2012, 18:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickl View Post
1. learn english
2. did you read my quote?
3. You won't be able to run any program compiled under windows(using a compiler for windows ofc) under any other os(ofc you can use an emulator, but that's not what I'm talking about). neither can you use DLLs.
Language the program was made in doesn't really matter
+1
Old 03/26/2012, 18:59   #19

elite*gold: 9
Linux is better for Gameserver but Windows is better for run programms on it.

greetz, jOKER*
Old 03/26/2012, 19:08   #20
Chat Killer In Duty

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 6,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl* View Post
Wine isn't emulator, but it "emulates". It's alternative realisation of winapi. Well, i'm going to find out if it will work soon. MSSQL server will be hosted on windows machine, ofc.
I still consider that trying to use wine to run a server will fail(as I said there is a high chance that some libraries wont work)
Old 03/26/2012, 20:45   #21

Received Thanks: 2,010
Well, by using linux as your host os and running windows as your guest os you could profit from both the security (iptables) and stability of linux (and in some cases, ease of managing a linux server) and then just run the files on windows VMs. This of course will bring a small overhead which will negatively influence performance, however you're probably going to virtualise either way. It should be -possible- to run the files under wine, but that's just retarded.
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/26/2012, 20:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezekan View Post
Well, by using linux as your host os and running windows as your guest os you could profit from both the security (iptables) and stability of linux (and in some cases, ease of managing a linux server) and then just run the files on windows VMs. This of course will bring a small overhead which will negatively influence performance, however you're probably going to virtualise either way. It should be -possible- to run the files under wine, but that's just retarded.
As He Said
noobs
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/26/2012, 20:51   #23

As i know, Linux is more secure.
Thanks
1 User
Old 03/26/2012, 20:51   #24
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
I feel that wine is just for the Linux users that cannot play any game
and i feel that hosting using wine is like buying super dedi for a webhosting only, totally useless
Old 03/26/2012, 20:52   #25

i think Linux
Old 03/26/2012, 20:54   #26

Received Thanks: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalDark View Post
I feel that wine is just for the Linux users that cannot play any game
and i feel that hosting using wine is like buying super dedi for a webhosting only, totally useless
Using wine in a production enviroment is just a bad idea, however I don't get the super dedi analogy, you could host thousands of sites on one super dedi as long as it has enough resources and if you can cope with disk io ^^
Old 03/26/2012, 20:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestOnWorld View Post
i think Linux
Depends ....
If you know how to mange Linux go for it ,No then Windows is easier
Old 03/26/2012, 20:56   #28
Chat Killer In Duty

Quote:
Using wine in a production enviroment is just a bad idea, however I don't get the super dedi analogy, you could host thousands of sites on one super dedi as long as it has enough resources and if you can cope with disk io ^^
lets say it this way
Im a noob who spends $400 on dedi to host a noob website(one index.html)
it is easier if i say ill buy a $1500 pc to play farmville
Thanks
1 User