Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 21:39

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Reduce SQL database size

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Reduce SQL database size

I was wondering how to reduce my database size.
I mean like, when I make a back-up and I try to restore it,
I find out that the SHARD database only has 32 GB and that's a huge number actually.

So, I am pretty sure there's something that cleans database from dumb files/logs something like these things.

Old 05/27/2018, 20:42   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by #HB View Post
I was wondering how to reduce my database size.
I mean like, when I make a back-up and I try to restore it,
I find out that the SHARD database only has 32 GB and that's a huge number actually.

So, I am pretty sure there's something that cleans database from dumb files/logs something like these things.
the most common case for a huge sized database is because generally people make a backup set in addition to the original backup set so they can pick a specific set with its date and restore to whatever date they want.
you can overwrite the backup with the latest backup set and it will keep 1 latest backup set.

Just tick BACKUP with overwrite option in ssms, or u can just use my filter backup option its doing the same thing, just programatically.

there are some other methods of shrinking a db size but im too lazy for those lol

Old 05/28/2018, 17:18   #3

use overwrite option