Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Popular Games > Silkroad Online > SRO Private Server
You last visited: Today at 14:00

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Let's talk - Private servers 2020

Discussion on Let's talk - Private servers 2020 within the SRO Private Server forum part of the Silkroad Online category.

Old 06/29/2021, 16:37   #196

elite*gold: 13
You may say that the community is dying, and that servers get worse and worse every year, but there are still places like sro latino which lasted almost a decade with 2k+ active players.

There are hidden gems out there, like Demonroad whose community is really awesome. Then there's the servers like Electus and Dymer which completely spoils the community and sets weird standards for the other admins.

I agree that we have strayed away from the "make a game for fun" principle, and that a game is just a time sink and not a chore like WoW.

We need more "for fun" projects where the admins don't really care if the server has 100 players or 3k players. I've been in the Demonroad community and until now I realized that there's still good in the scene and that it's possible to have a nice chill environment with less than 500 players online.

Opening a server nowadays is tricky because it's easy to go by the numbers and measure your success from the player count, but the thing is that there are entire alliances built around the concept of playing a server for 2 weeks only and move to the next one. So if you measure your success from the player count, then you can trick yourself to thinking that the project is over just because it went from 3k to 500 players in a month.

I wish there were more admins like Konsta, and maybe there are but we just haven't met them yet and they run their small project without making too much noise about it.
Thanks
1 User
Old 09/25/2021, 01:48   #197

elite*gold: 0
It would be very interesting and funny, if only 1 Private Server would exist.
With low/medium rates without big edits. Alot of players would play it, even if they don't like it ^^

My friends always change the server after 2-3 weeks and since the Internet let us see alot of new private servers, it gonna be always easy to change server...
Old 09/25/2021, 19:51   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlboTV View Post
It would be very interesting and funny, if only 1 Private Server would exist.
With low/medium rates without big edits. Alot of players would play it, even if they don't like it ^^

My friends always change the server after 2-3 weeks and since the Internet let us see alot of new private servers, it gonna be always easy to change server...
There are plenty servers with low rates without edits, they have low playerbase and they die in few week.
Thanks
1 User
Old 10/01/2021, 11:33   #199

You guys just have to accept that private servers are like seasons in mmorpgs. You play for 1 month try to get the best and move on. Player numbers mean nothing.

Look example underworld server. Admin says how he has 3k players. IP limit 10. Crafting system. Everybody runs 10 to 20 bots with virtual machine. 3k players is like 400 players.
Numbers mean nothing on most servers.

If you make a activity server most people dont care about battle arena and the servers die because you dont get anything.

Forget about longterm. Its seasons only. Play a server try to win first FW and second FW. Move on. Thats how its going.
Thanks
1 User
Old 10/01/2021, 16:56   #200

My question is .. why does every server come out the same as the 100s before it and expect a different out come .. ask your self this question why was ISRO so popular 34 servers and 3000 people on them at all times 90% of the time you had to have a premium to even get on with out setting there for hours trying to get in game .. Come on people just one person Open up a private server that nothing is for free .. make it normal lvling but give some sp so you do not have to farm for sp .. if you want to give away free silk do it each month after they donate 5 dollars to support the server and keep it going ... i am sorry but that is what needs to be done to keep the free to play trash off the servers that over whelm them like a hord of locus with so many players they end up controling the commerce of the whole server and run eveyone else off ..
Old 10/02/2021, 08:12   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronJames100 View Post
You guys just have to accept that private servers are like seasons in mmorpgs. You play for 1 month try to get the best and move on. Player numbers mean nothing.

Look example underworld server. Admin says how he has 3k players. IP limit 10. Crafting system. Everybody runs 10 to 20 bots with virtual machine. 3k players is like 400 players.
Numbers mean nothing on most servers.

If you make a activity server most people dont care about battle arena and the servers die because you dont get anything.

Forget about longterm. Its seasons only. Play a server try to win first FW and second FW. Move on. Thats how its going.
I do still believe that there are ways to keep a server for a long time, I guess the main issues are the lack of innovation (true innovation, not just recycled features with different names or new cosmetics), monotonous activities, p2w item mall, etc. People just play to either be top 1 to get their 5 minutes of fame or just farm 24/7 to get silk and sell in black market. Sadly that's what psro scene is. Yet, this is something that ironically would kill the scene as well, because if developers invested their time and resources on innovations, their servers will just die as well because people gets bored after 1 month and move to another server anyways, it's kind of a vicious circle where no one wants to risk anything and just follow the formula that will work. I remember there were great concent of servers like a completely job based system (where you literally couldn't take off your job suit and all the game was literally hunter vs thief, including PvE), other concepts like new masteries, new talisman collections, new dungeons (actual new dungeons and not recycled higher cap dungeons), improved crafting/socket system, etc. They all were so great but failed miserably due to the community. I guess people get what they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
My question is .. why does every server come out the same as the 100s before it and expect a different out come .. ask your self this question why was ISRO so popular 34 servers and 3000 people on them at all times 90% of the time you had to have a premium to even get on with out setting there for hours trying to get in game .. Come on people just one person Open up a private server that nothing is for free .. make it normal lvling but give some sp so you do not have to farm for sp .. if you want to give away free silk do it each month after they donate 5 dollars to support the server and keep it going ... i am sorry but that is what needs to be done to keep the free to play trash off the servers that over whelm them like a hord of locus with so many players they end up controling the commerce of the whole server and run eveyone else off ..
That just won't work. It may have worked when iSro just died, but not now. Most of SRO players are already adults, the vast majority of them quit the game already, and the ones that are playing are mostly botting 24/7 and playing few hours a day just to do alchemy/jobbing and that's it. Not many people have time to play this game for 8+ hours as when they were teens. Having a server like you describe, which btw, already existed plenty times, will just fail like any other.
Old 10/02/2021, 08:41   #202

i sure wish i could find one like that to play on .. i can not stand the 2 day max lvl servers there is no sense in playing them no enjoyment of playing the game . it all ends up just being a rut and grind to get as much **** as you can over and over again .. always at the same mob or the bad grind of FGW
Old 10/04/2021, 00:49   #203

In my opinion you should focus on the grinding part more than the end-game (I found that it more fun for me), also you might introduce new gameplay style which is able to be applied. I found that the end-game is so silly for us, we aren't childs anymore, and we need more activities for our ages.
Thanks from my opinion
Old 10/04/2021, 23:39   #204

elite*gold: 260
Received Thanks: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek1500 View Post
In my opinion you should focus on the grinding part more than the end-game (I found that it more fun for me), also you might introduce new gameplay style which is able to be applied. I found that the end-game is so silly for us, we aren't childs anymore, and we need more activities for our ages.
There's so much to talk about in this thread, there's not enough time or space, so I'll point out something about this reply that is relevant to the topic.

Over the years, I've come to see that there's two main groups people fall into when it comes to playing MMOs. You have the more prominent "endgame destination" group, and then you have the "enjoy the journey" group.

The endgame group doesn't care about anything before endgame, because for them, the game actually begins at endgame. For them, it's a race to endgame so they can work towards getting the best gear, and doing all the endgame content.

The journey group (which best describes me) is the opposite. Their enjoyment is everything leading up to endgame. When they typically get to endgame, the game is "ending" for them for that character,, and then it's on to the next one to try new builds or try different factions and stuff.

It's like the difference of people who only main 1 character and don't use alts ever and focus solely on making their 1 character as strong as possible, and then people who prefer having a bunch of alts (which in turn means weaker characters overall due to not focusing on any one unparticular).

MMOs have struggled to cater towards both groups of people, as it seems most hardcore players end up being in the endgame group. They speed through content, using whatever is the most efficient build to level, and then transition into focusing on endgame, never giving anything earlier any second thought. This is why so many games offer "catch up" systems of sorts to allow new players to skip through pre-endgame stuff so they can join everyone else in end-game (or at least the newest expansion content).

Silkroad went down this path to a degree when gold stopped dropping under level 70, and then you can just farm tokens to get any SoX item. Then, pservers have done things where lower levels have higher rates so you just "go through the motions" of leveling from 1 to near-cap, and then grind out your SP or end-game gear with lesser rates. It seems widely accepted that if you just start people out at end-game, very few actually like that or enjoy it, and it ends up being a dead server after a few days, so the process of leveling up is still important, even though it's superficial.

I myself think the solution MMOs use to address this problem is terrible. Large portions of a game are basically thrown away and are just filler areas no one cares about anymore, and I think that's a waste. "Paragon" or "Rebirth" systems are systems I support for keeping earlier content relevant for sure, but they're not enough on their own to improve the grinding experience.

To me, ARPGs provide the solution for making grinding more interesting over time. "Diablo-style" loot systems have been used in all sorts of non-arpg games to breath new life into them. I myself have thought about the implications of designing such a system for SRO. However, more interesting loot in itself isn't enough to make SRO interesting again for most. You need some combat or mob fight changes to compliment it.

"Diablo-style" mobs is naturally the first change, but then you need to solve a problem of unbounded leveling progression in a way that keeps everyone playing in the same relevant level ranges, yet doesn't punish people who want to play more. The idea I've thought about is along the same lines of progressive cap raises over time, where you spend some amount of time trying to grind out the best tier gear for the current cap, and then when the server moves to the next tier, there's some pve event where you can put all your efforts to the test for rewards before the next tier transition.

Ultimately though, players need something new to work towards. Silkroad is an incomplete idea I think. The whole premise was become a trade/thief/hunter with the "Silkroad" theme to acquire a bunch of gold, but for what? What exactly do you do with all this gold that you can also just grind mobs for or trade/sell items? Modern mmos have way more gold sinks and things to do because of this. Some do it via housing systems, various craft/gather systems, and so on. I think systems like these need to be added as well to give people a concrete goal to work towards rather than just hitting cap and maxing out end-game gear.

There's always going to be technical hurdles trying to do something as extensive as I'm talking about, but I think solving the game design problems are much harder than trying to mod the client/server to do more advanced stuff. Game design and balance is a really hard field, so what might seem good on paper or what people say they would like, might turn out just not feeling good when actually playing it. Likewise the opposite, what people say they'd not like or don't like the sound of, might end up being really enjoyable once they get a chance to try it.

That's part of the risk/gamble of game development and trying to make something new, so if someone did decide to try out stuff like this, they need a rock solid vision of what they hope to achieve to make it to the end, as it'll most certainly be a rough road anyway you look at it. Also, you can just give up after a month or two.

Seeing real results in game development can take years, so if you gauge the success of something based on how many people are playing after a few months, then almost everything new will "fail". People have to stick with things longer, keep evolving and trying to build up something, rather than just expect success within the first few months. A totally different example is Among Us, an unknown dead game for nearly 2 years before blowing up to be a massive success. Imagine if they threw in the towel after a few months, much less a year of just not having the results they probably wanted by then?

Anyways, I think the past 15 years of gaming has provided enough ideas and innovations to copy and apply to SRO to solve most of the problems a game this old has. It's certainly going to be a challenge to remake the game with a bunch of new systems like that, but before that happens, figuring out how much is "enough" to refresh the game is the bigger problem that needs to be solved I think.
Thanks
5 Users
Old 10/10/2021, 14:23   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedx View Post
Silkroad is an incomplete idea I think.
It is incomplete, for sure. The job system it's the best example, the whole idea about the mythic Silk Road was reworked leaving an unpleasant gameplay with only two job types where the gold it's not even there.

I recently saw many possibilities over the green sets (Roc, Egy A, Egy B) which makes me wonder why they didn't continue using it? Why such system for just Degree 10 & D11? My only answer would be they changed staff, the people having the vision and concept was suddenly replaced.
Old 10/30/2021, 02:39   #206

elite*gold: 13
Quote:
There's so much to talk about in this thread, there's not enough time or space, so I'll point out something about this reply that is relevant to the topic.

Over the years, I've come to see that there's two main groups people fall into when it comes to playing MMOs. You have the more prominent "endgame destination" group, and then you have the "enjoy the journey" group.

The endgame group doesn't care about anything before endgame, because for them, the game actually begins at endgame. For them, it's a race to endgame so they can work towards getting the best gear, and doing all the endgame content.

The journey group (which best describes me) is the opposite. Their enjoyment is everything leading up to endgame. When they typically get to endgame, the game is "ending" for them for that character,, and then it's on to the next one to try new builds or try different factions and stuff.

It's like the difference of people who only main 1 character and don't use alts ever and focus solely on making their 1 character as strong as possible, and then people who prefer having a bunch of alts (which in turn means weaker characters overall due to not focusing on any one unparticular).

MMOs have struggled to cater towards both groups of people, as it seems most hardcore players end up being in the endgame group. They speed through content, using whatever is the most efficient build to level, and then transition into focusing on endgame, never giving anything earlier any second thought. This is why so many games offer "catch up" systems of sorts to allow new players to skip through pre-endgame stuff so they can join everyone else in end-game (or at least the newest expansion content).

Silkroad went down this path to a degree when gold stopped dropping under level 70, and then you can just farm tokens to get any SoX item. Then, pservers have done things where lower levels have higher rates so you just "go through the motions" of leveling from 1 to near-cap, and then grind out your SP or end-game gear with lesser rates. It seems widely accepted that if you just start people out at end-game, very few actually like that or enjoy it, and it ends up being a dead server after a few days, so the process of leveling up is still important, even though it's superficial.

I myself think the solution MMOs use to address this problem is terrible. Large portions of a game are basically thrown away and are just filler areas no one cares about anymore, and I think that's a waste. "Paragon" or "Rebirth" systems are systems I support for keeping earlier content relevant for sure, but they're not enough on their own to improve the grinding experience.

To me, ARPGs provide the solution for making grinding more interesting over time. "Diablo-style" loot systems have been used in all sorts of non-arpg games to breath new life into them. I myself have thought about the implications of designing such a system for SRO. However, more interesting loot in itself isn't enough to make SRO interesting again for most. You need some combat or mob fight changes to compliment it.

"Diablo-style" mobs is naturally the first change, but then you need to solve a problem of unbounded leveling progression in a way that keeps everyone playing in the same relevant level ranges, yet doesn't punish people who want to play more. The idea I've thought about is along the same lines of progressive cap raises over time, where you spend some amount of time trying to grind out the best tier gear for the current cap, and then when the server moves to the next tier, there's some pve event where you can put all your efforts to the test for rewards before the next tier transition.

Ultimately though, players need something new to work towards. Silkroad is an incomplete idea I think. The whole premise was become a trade/thief/hunter with the "Silkroad" theme to acquire a bunch of gold, but for what? What exactly do you do with all this gold that you can also just grind mobs for or trade/sell items? Modern mmos have way more gold sinks and things to do because of this. Some do it via housing systems, various craft/gather systems, and so on. I think systems like these need to be added as well to give people a concrete goal to work towards rather than just hitting cap and maxing out end-game gear.

There's always going to be technical hurdles trying to do something as extensive as I'm talking about, but I think solving the game design problems are much harder than trying to mod the client/server to do more advanced stuff. Game design and balance is a really hard field, so what might seem good on paper or what people say they would like, might turn out just not feeling good when actually playing it. Likewise the opposite, what people say they'd not like or don't like the sound of, might end up being really enjoyable once they get a chance to try it.

That's part of the risk/gamble of game development and trying to make something new, so if someone did decide to try out stuff like this, they need a rock solid vision of what they hope to achieve to make it to the end, as it'll most certainly be a rough road anyway you look at it. Also, you can just give up after a month or two.

Seeing real results in game development can take years, so if you gauge the success of something based on how many people are playing after a few months, then almost everything new will "fail". People have to stick with things longer, keep evolving and trying to build up something, rather than just expect success within the first few months. A totally different example is Among Us, an unknown dead game for nearly 2 years before blowing up to be a massive success. Imagine if they threw in the towel after a few months, much less a year of just not having the results they probably wanted by then?

Anyways, I think the past 15 years of gaming has provided enough ideas and innovations to copy and apply to SRO to solve most of the problems a game this old has. It's certainly going to be a challenge to remake the game with a bunch of new systems like that, but before that happens, figuring out how much is "enough" to refresh the game is the bigger problem that needs to be solved I think.
A housing system on sro would be really neat to be honest. I wonder how it could be done tho. Food for thought.
Old 11/04/2021, 04:33   #207

elite*gold: 15
Received Thanks: 1,357
You people and your bible lengthy threads, half of the battery on my mouse was gone by the time I scrolled down.

No sane person can tell me that in almost 2022, there's fun to be had by still spending time "creating" **** here, that's just not it anymore.You can't sugarcoat it in any way to justify anything, we, the old people, have had our fun back in 2012-2015 but that's about it, after that it was meh.
Thanks
1 User
Old 01/16/2022, 08:58   #208

Quote:
Anyways, I think the past 15 years of gaming has provided enough ideas and innovations to copy and apply to SRO.
Yea and those new ideas makes us stick to 15 years old game because nothing interesting out there. I played Origin server and Retro server, they have destroyed themselfes by updates. Origin got best cap 90 non bot server i ever seen, but admin decided to rise cap to 100 and later to 110 and 80% players left the server (now only 200-300 players playing there). Retro server got perfect 110 cap server, after ovh fire they started with new ideas to milk people and failed.

My sugestion is if you have it perfect dont try to change it to milk more people.
Old 02/06/2022, 02:05   #209

elite*gold: 2700
Received Thanks: 1,893
It's 2022 let's bump this and start the conversations. A lot has happend since 2020. What are your thoughts on the current servers and their state? what do you like? what do you hate?
Old 02/06/2022, 18:21   #210

elite*gold: 5
Received Thanks: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy© View Post
It's 2022 let's bump this and start the conversations. A lot has happend since 2020. What are your thoughts on the current servers and their state? what do you like? what do you hate?
Welcome back, nice to see you again.

I'm struggling to find something to play at the moment. Bare in mind I'm 25 now with almost two kids - but looking for something to pass the time with.
Thanks
1 User