Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > Popular Games > Silkroad Online
You last visited: Today at 11:31

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

[Open PSRO Discussion] Alright folks.

Discussion on [Open PSRO Discussion] Alright folks. within the Silkroad Online forum part of the Popular Games category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 148
Post [Open PSRO Discussion] Alright folks.

Howdy,

My name's Iris and I've been a participant of the PSRO community since 2009, started playing isro late 2007. From then to now, of course, both communities varying from isro, sror, to the overall PSRO community.. things have taken a turn for the worst. I don't pay attention to any other communities aside of PSRO as of lately, but what I've been seeing these past few years is the amount of negativity, ignorance, anti-teamplay, and immaturity. Things I'm sure ALL of us have acknowledged by now. We have an incredibly large amount of 90/100/100 cap servers that most claim they can make enough changes to give different experiences regardless of the cap/degree. It's 2018 and hardly any project has given its participants genuine satisfaction since 2012. Despite that, we do have a handful of talented coders of all sorts. Why not gather them together to implement the most spectacular server of all time? Instead, we destroy the remaining playerbase? Let the most brilliant features and ideas go to waste? Selfishly destroy fellow developer servers in spite? It's over my head why we cannot let such things go for the chance of producing the best and last game changing private silkroad online server we'll have. Like I mentioned, it's 2018.. we're not getting any better and we probably won't ever.

It would be so effortless, everyone would gain profit and benefit, fellow developers working along side each other.. also learning from each other, all potential players finally able to call a server home LONG-TERM, ACTUAL LONG-TERM meaning years or until the community completely dies off. This whole online offline per weeks/months for every new project is a disgustingly huge waste of money, effort, and time when really, combined, it could be something magnificent! So I ask the big boys (and girls of course) and the small, what are in your opinion are the pros and cons of bunching up the brains of the community to produce the PSRO end-game server? Here are mine;

Pros:
With all sorts of coders together, they could learn from each other.. strengthen each others capabilities thus better potential for the project.
With EVERYONE grouped we can finally have communal diversity, global authority, and finally.. fun!! Not fun that will last a month or two, but fun that could last at least a year. Surely a team of developers within this community would never let it die down or potentially let it become BORING.
A place that we can finally call home. Work past the differences, but still stay within the boundaries of petty rivalries.. what would SRO be without them?
EVERYONE would reap the benefits, and the profit.

Cons:
The only con that I can think of would be if-- a team that consists of high-end coders could potentially become an egotistical battlefield.. and fast.

Reply with some of your pros and cons, as well as suggestions that project owners can take into mind. There are only a few servers that have truly become long-term so obviously our fellow owners aren't in the loop completely.

No shade no flame, Iris~

Old 10/28/2018, 14:36   #2

elite*gold: 100
Received Thanks: 1,251
The silkroad community is all about money. Nobody is doing anything for fun or free. Its all about making a new 3-month server to skim of some money. And the playing community is the same. After three months, the game is boring and you start over at a new server.

The point you listed as a potential con, "a team that consists of high-end coders could potentially become an egotistical battlefield..", is already the reality. Information and knowledge is precious. Nobody shares anything valuable. And while many people are thankful, I've been insulted and even threatened more than once for releasing stuff.

The community is unable to collaborate. We have a huge gap regarding the skill level and literally no experience in project management and source code management. I'd better not talk about code quality. Most sources around have "evolved" over years and many bad habits slipped in.

Everybody is so used to "not share anything" that a project like this, even if the outcome could be great, will fail at gathering trust between team members that allows them to contribute stuff that matters.

The exception proves the rule.

Edit: Don't get me wrong: I'd love to have an open and welcoming environment like this for the whole community. I'm just faced with the cold reality every day.

Thanks
5 Users
Old 10/28/2018, 22:18   #3

elite*gold: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by florian0 View Post
The silkroad community is all about money. Nobody is doing anything for fun or free. Its all about making a new 3-month server to skim of some money. And the playing community is the same. After three months, the game is boring and you start over at a new server.

The point you listed as a potential con, "a team that consists of high-end coders could potentially become an egotistical battlefield..", is already the reality. Information and knowledge is precious. Nobody shares anything valuable. And while many people are thankful, I've been insulted and even threatened more than once for releasing stuff.

The community is unable to collaborate. We have a huge gap regarding the skill level and literally no experience in project management and source code management. I'd better not talk about code quality. Most sources around have "evolved" over years and many bad habits slipped in.

Everybody is so used to "not share anything" that a project like this, even if the outcome could be great, will fail at gathering trust between team members that allows them to contribute stuff that matters.

The exception proves the rule.

Edit: Don't get me wrong: I'd love to have an open and welcoming environment like this for the whole community. I'm just faced with the cold reality every day.
Thank you for the input. Sadly, most if not all of what you said is a reality. It's saddening when we as a group could make something incredible, but instead our greediness and egos keep us from such.

Iris~

Tags
coming together, discussion, dying community, psro, silkroad

« Cannot disable X-trap | iSRO Aeolus »