Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Shaiya > Shaiya Private Server
You last visited: Today at 18:07

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Making an open source server for the community

Discussion on Making an open source server for the community within the Shaiya Private Server forum part of the Shaiya category.

Old 06/19/2018, 14:42   #16

elite*gold: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
I did it as a side project, I never intended to host it, sell it, or even open source it. It was a hobby project that I worked on every now and then when I had the free time after working a full time job. I enjoy trying different things, and I learned a lot while doing it. Few can say the same - you might talk down on it now, but until Zsoszo and I started working on reverse engineering the server protocols, not many people had even considered about giving it an attempt. We did it for the fun of learning how it works.
I know that you did this as a hobby, you already wrote this in your topic. I do not say that you are obliged release this. Just...all this eventually became meaningless for the community.
P.S. It's very nice that you deleted almost all of your releases (it must have an "interesting story"), but at the same time you continue to write about the help to the community and recently made a release again (will it also be deleted soon? ).
Old 06/21/2018, 13:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayne01 View Post

Hello everyone,

Firstly sorry, I haven't been active here for months because of my full-time developer job.

But I leaved it, and I am now working back as a freelance developer. I also bought a 64 GB RAM / 2x XEON E5 v2 (8 up to 48 threads) / 4 TB + SSD SERVER on ebay for cheap that could be used for development and server launching, without caring about donations ... as it is often what kills a server.

I mean guys, we all learnt tons of things and enjoyed days, months, years with the shaiya branch of epvp, and all its nice servers and releases. But the problem is that it wont continue if we don't change our community plans for attracting new developers, and new players.

Here is what I propose you :
  • Creating one BIG server for the community that would be official-like, with tons of players
  • PLAY TO WIN, I mean I want to host the server at my home to avoid server fees, so donations will stop destroying our servers.
  • OPEN SOURCE, It's still time to change our individualism version of the community... instead having hundreads of majority crappy servers .. I propose you running one BIG, one GREAT server, with open source softwares. Everyone then would be able to fork it to improve it. And if peoples use our files to make their one servers, IT IS OK if they provide feedbacks or improve our open source files.

I own the shaiya.eu domain, maybe that it could be used for adverts.

Anyway, I just want to know what do you think about it AS SHAIYA PLAYERS, Which original EP should we use, which EXP rate seems you appropriate, which features would you like to see ? and so on.
Then, what do you think about it AS SHAIYA DEVELOPERS, should we rewrite all the server side using a node.js server ? (seems to be the easier framework for doing it)
Should we use official stollen server files ? If yes, EP 5.3 serverfiles ("germany") ? Maybe 4.5 ("kr") ones ? should we try to buy official ep 6 (or 8) from asiatic private servers (as they seems to have official ep6+ stollen server files)
Maybe that we should do both (I mean using official stollen server files, while creating custom server packets hooks using nodejs) ?

There is tons of question that we sould ask before even starting a recruitment. This why I didn't posted my message in the recruitment thread.

Thank you for reading me. Please leave a message and share your opinions about it, no matter if you are a developer, a player, or retired for our community.

I wish you a good day.

DELETED
Old 06/22/2018, 19:20   #18

Received Thanks: 1,093
Quote:
If you start a Github repository for this project, feel free to send me the link and I'll happily contribute code in my free time, though first you should define clear goals for this project. If it's something you ever plan on hosting for people to play on, then I'd reconsider using NodeJS. While it's great for quick prototyping, it'd be less than ideal for more CPU-intensive operations such as the entity update loop (which would include pathfinding for NPCs).
Thank you very much Cups for your advice,
I saw that it is actually possible to write NodeJS addon using C++ so it could provide performance gains for such CPU intensive operations but I still didn't saw any benchmark that would prouve it.
In fact the goal is to have a main C++ Server that would load dynamcally for NodeJS scripts for making server developement as easy as possible, with *I Hope* decent perforances.
My old Iron Python / C# "Shaiya Server Extended" way of doing server-side stuffs seems a poor way of doing things compared to what we can get with a NodeJS environement.

Quote:
Reverse engineering the game client and writing your own server software is not illegal. The only thing that is illegal, is redistributing the game client and it's assets, which is copyright.
This would mean that if we do not distribute the game client, but if we told people to use official installer with a special patch, it would be legal ?
I am a interessted minimum in legal reasons.

Thank you for reading.
Thanks
2 Users
Old 06/30/2018, 05:03   #19

Hello Trayne.I wanna know a little more about your plan for this project...Please hit me up on Discord Efa#1939 .
Thanks
1 User
Old 06/30/2018, 10:33   #20

You can ask hronolight how packet encryption works.
I was help him with it, but now I haven't PC, so I can't upload files.
Thanks
1 User
Old 06/30/2018, 14:19   #21

WOW ! Trayne01 you always surprise this forum with your post ! Good Luck bro i wish all the best ... the idea is amazing ,i want to contribute with as much as i know !
Thanks
1 User
Old 07/05/2018, 08:14   #22

hope it get open soon, because I'm tired of these servers that we farm for ages to be killed for the Dollar guy that just joined, was about to stop playing shaiya...
Thanks
3 Users
Old 07/06/2018, 18:33   #23

This is very good proyect, but unviable and maybe a lost of some time and resources.
The explanation it's simple: Shaiya it's a dead game with old and boring mechanics and concepts, and today people want to play other games.
For a example, you want a server with a lot of people, but this is impossible, because of the low players population in all the world, and also, players don't want to farm a lot, they just want to do pvp fast.
Classical shaiya experience no longer works, we no have enough people to do something like this, and the game is boring.

I have played shaiya for 7 years, and some other mmorpgs, my conclusion about Shaiya:
* It's old and overused (In all content), we know ALL the maps, bosses, pvp facts, etc.
* No have any relevant mechanic in PvE or PvP. PvE it's a prank, just some bosses like exiel or cryptic have a minimal mechanics. PvP it's play warrior and full tank healers. Also, the game no have any interesting mechanic in the classes, like resource managements (Energy, charges, cooldown reduction, etc) or skillshots , just spam abilities.
* Shaiya does not have any Lore or history used in the game
* Extremetly unbalanced classes, stats, gears.
* Disposable servers with 2+ months duration, used to gain some money.

I really apreciate your interest about the game and your plan, but take in consideration: You are using a death game
If you make a open-code shaiya, you just are giving the tool of easy money to some oportunists who make disposable servers.

This game needs a complete rework in all concepts, interface, game mechanics, classes, etc. I think this is impossible, because no one want's to lose their time in a old game like this.

This isn't a pessimist post, im just tryng to explain the reality about the game.
Anyway, best of luck.
Old 07/07/2018, 23:14   #24

What about Aion? Is it dead also? It's based on open source java servers, and the client doesn't really need editing/updating. The game has more capabilities than Shaiya and a huge lore.
The downside would be an insanely big download for the client.