Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Shaiya > Shaiya Private Server
You last visited: Today at 21:06

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

I know this is after-the-fact, but I suggested something like this 6months ago.

Discussion on I know this is after-the-fact, but I suggested something like this 6months ago. within the Shaiya Private Server forum part of the Shaiya category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
I know this is after-the-fact, but I suggested something like this 6months ago.

You could have the parent server ran under linux, and incorporate all the private servers as one cluster that would be xtremly difficult to DDoS. with all that computing power you would be able to survive a DDoS.

And yes, I understand standardizing the private servers to be compatible would be difficult, but you wouldn't have problems with lack of users, or security if done correctly.

As I'm learning more, and more about Linux, and it's benefits, as well as Vsphere, and SQL I'm learning that this is how you would want to do it because with all the power behind it you wouldn't have lag, and depending on the physical location of each inter-connected vsphere node would be a area of entry to the linux main server for improved performance.

Hopefully this inspires some of you guys!Keep up the good work!!
Old 12/31/2011, 18:52   #2

elite*gold: 150
Received Thanks: 8,977
Thing is that for running a Shaiya Server from Linux, we would need to:

1- Migrate the entire database from SQL Server to MySQL
2- Code a new source to be able to connect to a new DB engine

this is totally doable, but it requires a lot of time and a good experienced team (one single person can do it, but it would take even more time to do)
Old 12/31/2011, 19:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHeatz View Post
Thing is that for running a Shaiya Server from Linux, we would need to:

1- Migrate the entire database from SQL Server to MySQL
2- Code a new source to be able to connect to a new DB engine

this is totally doable, but it requires a lot of time and a good experienced team (one single person can do it, but it would take even more time to do)
A collective effort for added safety and integrated numbers would make it worth it though.

Not saying it's not hard to do, just saying that it'd be worth it to insure your best interests is all.

Ubuntu Server supports/provides cloud server technology.

This might help on the costs, since I understand you guys have a very limited budget, and Vsphere isn't free.

The video is in German, Sorry.

Below is just a joke. I joke, I kid. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse40 View Post
A collective effort for added safety and integrated numbers would make it worth it though.

Not saying it's not hard to do, just saying that it'd be worth it to insure your best interests is all.

Ubuntu Server supports/provides cloud server technology.

This might help on the costs, since I understand you guys have a very limited budget, and Vsphere isn't free.

The video is in German, Sorry.

Below is just a joke. I joke, I kid. ^_^
Ubuntu Server post install is command line driven.

If you want a GUI based server it's easy to do though.
Enter these commands in the command line interface after you log in.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
If you want a more in-depth explanation go here:

Old 01/01/2012, 12:35   #4

Received Thanks: 1,777
Most P-servers are not on a low budget at all...lol
Old 01/02/2012, 01:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bаne View Post
Most P-servers are not on a low budget at all...lol

Strange I posted a quoted response earlier about how I think that a Linux LAMP server under vmware for the sql interface gui might help, and some other stuff about how the only real difficulty would be if there are any server-gui sided stuff to address like in game administrative functions.

Since it's an SQL database a LAMP cloud would probably be best.

I'm not a developement guru or anything like that but the SQL side should be easily doable in linux, interfacing it for a GUI is the only question that I can see out of it.

I don't even play Shaiya anymore after Absolution shut down. III is a great guy, along with his whole team.

And as I see more privys are getting attacked by the same person I keep thinking that if whats forcing everyone out is that he's overloading the server's bandwidth, then a cluster really would be the solution there dependant on how many servers are part of the cluster, and if they're integrated.

As far as the DDoS attacks go, and once again I say I'm not a programmer, but I think that if a script was written to recognize repeat requests that define a DDoS, have some kind of sub script that just echo's it back to where it came from but with the resources of a cluster behind it. the cluster should be able to do that without disrupting the gameserver itself I think.

Anyways.... Back to more important stuff for me, I have a domain controller I need to config.

Good Luck!
Thanks
2 Users
Old 01/04/2012, 23:42   #6

Received Thanks: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse40 View Post
Strange I posted a quoted response earlier about how I think that a Linux LAMP server under vmware for the sql interface gui might help, and some other stuff about how the only real difficulty would be if there are any server-gui sided stuff to address like in game administrative functions.

Since it's an SQL database a LAMP cloud would probably be best.

I'm not a developement guru or anything like that but the SQL side should be easily doable in linux, interfacing it for a GUI is the only question that I can see out of it.

I don't even play Shaiya anymore after Absolution shut down. III is a great guy, along with his whole team.

And as I see more privys are getting attacked by the same person I keep thinking that if whats forcing everyone out is that he's overloading the server's bandwidth, then a cluster really would be the solution there dependant on how many servers are part of the cluster, and if they're integrated.

As far as the DDoS attacks go, and once again I say I'm not a programmer, but I think that if a script was written to recognize repeat requests that define a DDoS, have some kind of sub script that just echo's it back to where it came from but with the resources of a cluster behind it. the cluster should be able to do that without disrupting the gameserver itself I think.

Anyways.... Back to more important stuff for me, I have a domain controller I need to config.

Good Luck!

Acctualy yes there is, I saw one once while reaserching the Wifi in a linuxs enviorment, you can pretty much say once a client has requested X amount block them from our server.