Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rohan
You last visited: Today at 03:55

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

My Latest Idea/Concept

Discussion on My Latest Idea/Concept within the Rohan forum part of the MMORPGs category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
My Latest Idea/Concept

Some of you might know that my last big "idea" was to remove % stats on gear and replace them with 1:1 equivalent + stats. Whilst this worked better than I thought it would, with genuinely amazing balance, it required too many mods to too many files to make sure it ran properly.

After a break away from this game, I had a sudden epiphany at work, another great idea. I thought I would extract all my backed up Rohan files and see if I could get it to work. I have and I like the results.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a server which is in development. This is "theorycrafting" by me, an exercise to see how we can change the base experience of the game to make it fresh and more exciting. What I show here might never appear on a pserver and if it does, I might not be involved with it.

Ok so, Rohan without any kind of random forging, where all of your mob drops are graded as common, rare, unique, ancient and legendary. No frustrating success or fail, no being fucked over by option stone rolls.

Don't panic too much though, "common" items will still be totally usable and any skilled player will be able to get by in PvP with them. So what's the crack with the item grades then?

Well, all drops will have their primary stat built in. Here is how the last few swords work:

[Common] Imperial Cutlass - 40% melee attack
[Rare] Grinden's War Sword - 45% melee attack
[Unique] Stedman's Sword - 50% melee attack
[Ancient] Meister's Glory - 55% melee attack
[Legendary] Time's Scar - 60% melee attack

What else will differentiate them? Common weapons will have 1 socket, rare will have 2, unique 3, ancient 4 and legendary 5. Don't panic though, you won't have to craft spirit stones because these drop the same way that the weapons do. For example:

[Common] Incense Burner of Marea - 22% DD
[Rare] Incense Burner of Marea - 29% DD
[Unique] Incense Burner of Marea - 36% DD
[Ancient] Incense Burner of Marea - 43% DD
[Legendary] Incense Burner of Marea - 50% DD

Whatever grade weapon you have, you can put any grade spirit stone into the socket. If you socket a Rare Burner and later manage to obtain an Ancient Burner, you can overwrite the Rare burner. You'll lose the Rare Burner though so be careful where you put your high grade spirit stones! Once they're socketted, they're in. These spirit stones have no time limit to them and will remain until they are overwritten by socketting another stone over it. You can overwrite a spirit stone with another of the same type or a completely different type but you can't have 2 of the same type installed in the same weapon.

As an example, if you managed to find a [Legendary] Time's Scar and 5 legendary spirit stones you could have (as a maximum example):

[Legendary] Time's Scar - 60% melee, 5 sockets
[Legendary] Water Bottle of Marea - 15% Crit
[Legendary] Leaf of Ohn - 30% Attack Speed
[Legendary] Spear of Roha - 30% Weapon Attack
[Legendary] Flag of Roha - 30% Armor Defense

Don't worry though, Legendary drops won't be easy to get. Probably as frequest as SES on iRohan. Other grade drops will be dropped enough for the best gameplay experience with balance in mind.

I'm using this same graded philosophy for pets. No fused pets. You'll need to feed it so that it still provides its bonuses for you but it will never level up. Its bonuses are decided by its grade. For example:

[Common] Honey Bear - 10% HP
[Rare] Honey Bear - 16% HP
[Unique] Honey Bear - 22% HP
[Ancient] Honey Bear - 28% HP
[Legendary] Honey Bear - 35% HP

Same goes for mounts with common to legendary going 60, 70, 80, 90, 100% mobility. All mounts will have SZ and dungeon riding but only Unique+ will have anti-crit dismount. Want to see players riding their race specific mounts again but all-race mounts will still be out there.

So what are your thoughts on this concept? Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I don't really have an end goal right now but I'd really like some of the wannabe devs out there to sit up and listen. There's so much more to this game than editing a few values for the IP mall. For fuck sake start being creative and look into the files!

I'll have some screenshots and videos up soon as proof of concept stuff. Needless to say that everything I've written here so far does work as described but it would be nice for you to see it all working. I'm just in the process of making new item icons for it all so it looks nice.

So Tony Montana and all you other pretend devs, it might be too late now but you can still get your fingers out of your ass and do something worthwhile, if you do actually understand how this game works.
Thanks
6 Users
Old 10/16/2015, 01:48   #2

Sounds pretty interesting and Id like to see how this works out in actual gameplay situations such as pvp and bosses.
Thanks
1 User
Old 10/16/2015, 01:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncognitoOne View Post
Sounds pretty interesting and Id like to see how this works out in actual gameplay situations such as pvp and bosses.
Balance is always my end goal. With that in mind I looked at what sort of stats an level 99 endgame weapon can have along with its maximum option values.

From there I looked at buffing the non-ancient gear so that it would be closer to ancient gear but at the same time extending the abilities of the highest gear.

I've got most of the gear written in but not looked at skill balance just yet. It isn't that hard to make sure it all balances up right. The most important thing to me is making sure the new concept works, just like with the + stats idea.

As for drops, I was planning to have all grades potentially drop from normal mobs (stupidly rare for ancient and legendary of course) with increased rates for mini bosses up to full bosses dropping uniques as a minimum.

Also looking into remaking the fishing loot table and elemental dungeon rewards to fit this grading system appropriately.
Old 10/16/2015, 02:06   #4

It looks promising! but will not get too OP??
- idea is good, has my support.
Thanks
1 User
Old 10/16/2015, 02:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oziel235 View Post
It looks promising! but will not get too OP??
- idea is good, has my support.
Thanks. I don't think it will. When you think about how players can weapon swap into certain situations then all it really does is remove the need to have 12 different weapons in your bag.

Plus the rarity of the higher grade gear can be increased if it could be a bit OP. I'm still fine tuning the armour, spirit stones and available sockets but everything should match up well.

I'd like to see a game where a player in full rare gear can go head to head with a player in full legendary gear and if the player with rare gear has a lot more skill, he can potentially win.

At the end of the day, I'd like to remove the dreadful lottery of forging and option stone rolls plus it has the potential to be more rewarding to casual players than the current system does now as it favours no-life farmers a bit better.
Thanks
3 Users
Old 10/16/2015, 03:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtaria View Post

I'd like to see a game where a player in full rare gear can go head to head with a player in full legendary gear and if the player with rare gear has a lot more skill, he can potentially win.

At the end of the day, I'd like to remove the dreadful lottery of forging and option stone rolls plus it has the potential to be more rewarding to casual players than the current system does now as it favours no-life farmers a bit better.
I am not so sure there friend.

Making legendary gear would, and should, take a lot of effort. Forging the top gear should be as challenging as you can make it. And the prize must also be worth the effort needed to attain it otherwise your players won't bother with it. If legendary gear only gives a marginal edge against the base stuff, there is no point in even forging the stuff.

I think Rohan should be more than simple pvp. The forging of the best gear and selling it on a market place is that whole other side of the game that made rohan so fun and addictive to play. There is something attractive in becoming independently wealthy in Rohan virtual currency.
Old 10/16/2015, 03:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by im batman View Post
I am not so sure there friend.

Making legendary gear would, and should, take a lot of effort. Forging the top gear should be as challenging as you can make it. And the prize must also be worth the effort needed to attain it otherwise your players won't bother with it. If legendary gear only gives a marginal edge against the base stuff, there is no point in even forging the stuff.

I think Rohan should be more than simple pvp. The forging of the best gear and selling it on a market place is that whole other side of the game that made rohan so fun and addictive to play. There is something attractive in becoming independently wealthy in Rohan virtual currency.
Ah but the forging and this system should go hand in hand with trading should it not?

The challenge is still there, albeit without the random forge effect but with the random drop effect instead.

What this does is remove the necessity to forge unique gear to be competitive and allow basic drops to be useful in some way. I suppose it's just another way of allowing the same power curve within the game but doing it in a different way.

Sometimes by simply changing how that power is obtained you can create a whole new gaming experience. That's what my end goal is, along with making it easier to balance the game. It's all about thinking outside of the box and coming up with these new concepts to try and change the stagnant normality which is killing this game.

Hey it's a brand new server! They have a slightly changed IP shop
Old 10/16/2015, 03:35   #8

An idea.
while was working with sockets. and something good came. Items that have sockets, even if it is use cheatengine to forge another item he will not come with the status. This is a good difference that people could use to end the weapons / armor adulterated.

understand me?
Sorry the English.
Old 10/16/2015, 03:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oziel235 View Post
An idea.
while was working with sockets. and something good came. Items that have sockets, even if it is use cheatengine to forge another item he will not come with the status. This is a good difference that people could use to end the weapons / armor adulterated.

understand me?
Sorry the English.
Forging doesn't work with sockets I tried everything and the item type isn't compatible.
Old 10/16/2015, 10:15   #10

Crazy Rohan have this system...
Old 10/16/2015, 12:12   #11

I doubt they have THIS system. They might have SOME system.
Old 10/16/2015, 12:31   #12

Quote:
Forging doesn't work with sockets I tried everything and the item type isn't compatible.
From what i remember i did something like this on mobs where you did not have to forge armors anymore just farm they were dropping random ancients / uniques / rares / normals with high end status like an Blue dragon armor with 100 pdef but that was long time ago Incognito had the video about it's something like d3 has.

And you know me allways eager to try new stuff.So yes new ideas have my vote.
Old 10/16/2015, 12:31   #13

Well so on one hand I like the idea, on the other I dislike it. I really dont think this should be a standard way to gear yourself besides forging. Since then it would need to be slightly weaker in order to not make forging gear useless. People would just farm like crazy and short circuit the whole forging system, even with low drop rates, selling their useless drops. I really dont think one system should work against another system, instead such systems should go hand in hand.

A real usecase I see for this is to get such drops from bosses as kind of boss equipment. We all know such bossgear from WoW, Aion, Rift and whatmore. This would require to have forged gear in the first place and it would aswell enable the system to have a slight edge over forged stuff. Sockets should really expire to keep people busy.
Another point is that with this system everyone could potentionally wear the same gear. (Gear) diversity would go to hell. So introducing small random factors on that gear wouldnt be the worst idea.

Oh and "Legendary"
Old 10/16/2015, 13:40   #14

Theres the video Dreto is referring to, is this similar to your idea Ish ?
Old 10/16/2015, 15:40   #15

elite*gold: 110
Quote:
Some of you might know that my last big "idea" was to remove % stats on gear and replace them with 1:1 equivalent + stats. Whilst this worked better than I thought it would, with genuinely amazing balance, it required too many mods to too many files to make sure it ran properly.

After a break away from this game, I had a sudden epiphany at work, another great idea. I thought I would extract all my backed up Rohan files and see if I could get it to work. I have and I like the results.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a server which is in development. This is "theorycrafting" by me, an exercise to see how we can change the base experience of the game to make it fresh and more exciting. What I show here might never appear on a pserver and if it does, I might not be involved with it.

Ok so, Rohan without any kind of random forging, where all of your mob drops are graded as common, rare, unique, ancient and legendary. No frustrating success or fail, no being fucked over by option stone rolls.

Don't panic too much though, "common" items will still be totally usable and any skilled player will be able to get by in PvP with them. So what's the crack with the item grades then?

Well, all drops will have their primary stat built in. Here is how the last few swords work:

[Common] Imperial Cutlass - 40% melee attack
[Rare] Grinden's War Sword - 45% melee attack
[Unique] Stedman's Sword - 50% melee attack
[Ancient] Meister's Glory - 55% melee attack
[Legendary] Time's Scar - 60% melee attack

What else will differentiate them? Common weapons will have 1 socket, rare will have 2, unique 3, ancient 4 and legendary 5. Don't panic though, you won't have to craft spirit stones because these drop the same way that the weapons do. For example:

[Common] Incense Burner of Marea - 22% DD
[Rare] Incense Burner of Marea - 29% DD
[Unique] Incense Burner of Marea - 36% DD
[Ancient] Incense Burner of Marea - 43% DD

Whatever grade weapon you have, you can put any grade spirit stone into the socket. If you socket a Rare Burner and later manage to obtain an Ancient Burner, you can overwrite the Rare burner. You'll lose the Rare Burner though so be careful where you put your high grade spirit stones! Once they're socketted, they're in. These spirit stones have no time limit to them and will remain until they are overwritten by socketting another stone over it. You can overwrite a spirit stone with another of the same type or a completely different type but you can't have 2 of the same type installed in the same weapon.

As an example, if you managed to find a [Legendary] Time's Scar and 5 legendary spirit stones you could have (as a maximum example):

[Legendary] Time's Scar - 60% melee, 5 sockets
[Legendary] Water Bottle of Marea - 15% Crit
[Legendary] Leaf of Ohn - 30% Attack Speed
[Legendary] Spear of Roha - 30% Weapon Attack
[Legendary] Flag of Roha - 30% Armor Defense

Don't worry though, Legendary drops won't be easy to get. Probably as frequest as SES on iRohan. Other grade drops will be dropped enough for the best gameplay experience with balance in mind.

I'm using this same graded philosophy for pets. No fused pets. You'll need to feed it so that it still provides its bonuses for you but it will never level up. Its bonuses are decided by its grade. For example:

[Common] Honey Bear - 10% HP
[Rare] Honey Bear - 16% HP
[Unique] Honey Bear - 22% HP
[Ancient] Honey Bear - 28% HP
[Legendary] Honey Bear - 35% HP

Same goes for mounts with common to legendary going 60, 70, 80, 90, 100% mobility. All mounts will have SZ and dungeon riding but only Unique+ will have anti-crit dismount. Want to see players riding their race specific mounts again but all-race mounts will still be out there.

So what are your thoughts on this concept? Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I don't really have an end goal right now but I'd really like some of the wannabe devs out there to sit up and listen. There's so much more to this game than editing a few values for the IP mall. For fuck sake start being creative and look into the files!

I'll have some screenshots and videos up soon as proof of concept stuff. Needless to say that everything I've written here so far does work as described but it would be nice for you to see it all working. I'm just in the process of making new item icons for it all so it looks nice.

So Tony Montana and all you other pretend devs, it might be too late now but you can still get your fingers out of your ass and do something worthwhile, if you do actually understand how this game works.
Someone has been playing guild wars 2 ?

ArenaNet uses the exact same concept...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfRohan View Post
Well so on one hand I like the idea, on the other I dislike it. I really dont think this should be a standard way to gear yourself besides forging. Since then it would need to be slightly weaker in order to not make forging gear useless. People would just farm like crazy and short circuit the whole forging system, even with low drop rates, selling their useless drops. I really dont think one system should work against another system, instead such systems should go hand in hand.

A real usecase I see for this is to get such drops from bosses as kind of boss equipment. We all know such bossgear from WoW, Aion, Rift and whatmore. This would require to have forged gear in the first place and it would aswell enable the system to have a slight edge over forged stuff. Sockets should really expire to keep people busy.
Another point is that with this system everyone could potentionally wear the same gear. (Gear) diversity would go to hell. So introducing small random factors on that gear wouldnt be the worst idea.

Oh and "Legendary"
I think if anyone can re-create a World of Warcraft System in terms of Bossing and gear.. Except using the Rohan characters.. It would prolly be the best server to exist.. Would take a lot of work.

But the main reason people love World of Warcraft is simple..
You can get your gear yourself..
If someone made simple use of the Party Matching system and the Elemental Dungeon.. This game could be a lot more popular..

Example.. Elemental Dungeon bosses drop End-Game gear with End-game Stats and people use Party matching to form parties to do it...
At the end of the day.. Gear diversity is something that only Rohan does and it find it stupid... WoW, GW2 and all the big games.. You get gear specific to your Class / Race.
Example:
1. Elemental dungeon boss may drop a piece of armor with a set effect that increases Dual Sword Damage by 15% and increases cooldown on all giant skills by 25%.
2. Elemental Dungeon Boss may drop a piece of armor with a set effect for rangers.. Increase Winged Foot by 10% and increase Attack speed with Crossbows by 40% or something..

Why does rohan system have to be so shitty and straight forward ?
BWG had set effects on armor... So why not create a mimic of World of Warcraft Boss and Gear system but using Rohan ?

I'd play that server in a heartbeat and i know 117 others who will ^_^

Difference between World of Warcraft and Rohan is the developers on rohan limit their thinking..

World of Warcraft P.Server - (0 players online due to maintenance)