Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > MMORPGs > Rohan
You last visited: Today at 09:19

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Old Rohan • Dedicated 24/7 • Medium rates

Old   #241

elite*gold: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro99 View Post
there is a server that awaited by more enough players outthere, even their server isnt exist & there is no proof of what they have previously completed or their success story. but people still waiting.

apologize for my bad.
O_o ??

Who ?
Is it an oldschool server or another 110 server ?

Old   #242

elite*gold: 0
what happen is the server down im about to level my char to 99 and suddenly i got dc and cant connect

Old   #243

read the thread and you will understand what happened.
Old   #244

hope you guys help each other for the server because its really good hope this server don't shutdown early. players lets support please donate any amount you can and hopefully the population increase.

Old   #245

I don't really actually know the guy running this server beyond a couple forum conversations here and elsewhere. All I have to go on is how he has treated me, my friends and others I know. What I do know that he has treated me with at least a little decency and he does seem to have a good heart so I will return the favor.

I've already explained the pros and cons of creating servers where you can play comfortably for free. asdf feels this is how it should be. myself, I feel that you need to make the slightly better items pay-for items. I don't mean overpoweringly better, just keep in-game scrolls and drops to 10% strength & 50% success rates. save the 30% strength & 100% reliable stuff as stuff to pay for. don't charge a fortune for them, but try to keep a person's 'winning' gaming expense somewhere around $25-$30/month. that is not 'pay to win' that is simple economics and giving people a reason to donate. if your server does what it claims and yor players are happy it keeps that server alive.
Old   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by im batman View Post
I don't really actually know the guy running this server beyond a couple forum conversations here and elsewhere. All I have to go on is how he has treated me, my friends and others I know. What I do know that he has treated me with at least a little decency and he does seem to have a good heart so I will return the favor.

I've already explained the pros and cons of creating servers where you can play comfortably for free. asdf feels this is how it should be. myself, I feel that you need to make the slightly better items pay-for items. I don't mean overpoweringly better, just keep in-game scrolls and drops to 10% strength & 50% success rates. save the 30% strength & 100% reliable stuff as stuff to pay for. don't charge a fortune for them, but try to keep a person's 'winning' gaming expense somewhere around $25-$30/month. that is not 'pay to win' that is simple economics and giving people a reason to donate. if your server does what it claims and your players are happy it keeps that server alive.
^Yup
Some players don't have the time to play but they have the money to buy so its kind of fair. As a free player I have survived both pservers and official server knowing what to do. Its not always 100% easy but its challenging and keeps me playing for some time. Hope this server didn't close and i went to Chronos FB and it seems it went bye bye again >.>
It seems this summer its going to be a sad one
Old   #247

elite*gold: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbnwarior View Post
^Yup
Some players don't have the time to play but they have the money to buy so its kind of fair. As a free player I have survived both pservers and official server knowing what to do. Its not always 100% easy but its challenging and keeps me playing for some time. Hope this server didn't close and i went to Chronos FB and it seems it went bye bye again >.>
It seems this summer its going to be a sad one
haha Yea, i saw Chronos facebook page got deleted and i was like nuuuuu, but haibai posted somewhere that they have a new page ^_^.

I hope they open relativity soon and with no bugs cuz the worst thing is to open in a couple days and everyone is abusing the bugs..
Old   #248

Well this is pretty sad but I can't say I didn't predict it.

Games like Aion and WoW have a thriving pserver scene because of a huge playerbase. That allows servers of all types to be out there, classic, low rate, high rate, pay to win, and maintain a healthy population. The fact that Rohan has always had a much smaller population means that you can't afford to have a lot of servers spreading that wafer thin playerbase even thinner.

I've said time and time again that not sharing information and files is the best way to do things, not through selfishness or greed or to deprive players of choice but to keep the number of active servers to a minimum and keep this scene going for as long as possible.

Then there are the "developers" who have been greedy. Irresponsible people who wanted simply to sell information, files or services to the highest bidder. Usually the people buying this stuff just weren't capable of running and maintaining a server. Then you have the raft of indotrash cookie cutter servers who offer nothing to the progression of the scene other than to take away players.

So you see in the end, even decent servers can't attract the players any more. The largest portion of the playerbase left is asian and they're more inclined to play asian-based servers. You'd need stupid rates or millions of freebies to attract enough of them to play on a non-asian server but that would make the server ****.

I have to say... I told you so.
Old   #249

there is another big difference between the Rohan and (at least) Aion pserver world. the Aion world has an actual supported code base available to create private servers. there are 2 or 3 large teams of opensource developers that create the entire LEGAL server runtime for aion private servers.

that differs hugely from the rohan world where there is no centrally supported legal server code base to use. Rohan private server developers have to scrounge their server runtime files from the internet with no support available to them whatsoever. thjey then have to reverse engineer them and this breeds jealousy & pettyness between server devs and owners. in the rohan world people guard their secrets on how to create these servers.

In the aion world the Rohan dev is more like the individual private server developer. aion pservers, while better supported still requires some technical skills to put a server together but not nearly as much as needed for Rohan. So even these devs tend to be more open with each others and will try and help each other.

Opensource game servers like aion is kinda like a circle of hippies sitting around a campfire singing kumbaya. while it sounds pretty wussy, it is one hell of a lot more satisfying and worthwhile since you won't have game publishers trying to kill your site every time you turn around.
Old   #250

But again that comes back to the playerbase aspect I was talking about. The fact that Rohan has a fraction of Aion's means that "devs" will be a lot more protective about their work.

A game like Aion will also attract a more "professional" type of dev from the outset whilst Rohan has been mainly run by wannabes with a bit of coding knowledge. From day 1 it's been incredibly toxic with dev A trying to outdo dev B.

Just as an example, the original Xor was probably the best server we had and ever will get. It was run by people who initially had no knowledge of Rohan. Ion was the same although the owner eventually flaked out (so did the Xor lot really), disappeared and the anti-hack owners rightly pulled the plug. Then there's Chronos but I don't think that will turn out to be all that's promised, mainly due to the state of the playerbase and nobs trying to **** over the owner.

So is it any surprise that the best servers have been run by non-Rohan players? No, not to me. Rohan, despite its qualities, has always been a fringe game and because of that, it attracts people from the fringe. Black knights instead of white knights. The sort of people who want to make a quick buck at the expense of others.

I just wished Req would have let me know that this was his server. He should know that I wouldn't have let anyone know if he needed or wanted my help, not that he would but he knows that I would be happy to give my assistance to him and keep it confidential.

He has among the best knowledge of mapserver modding which is why this server really could have been something pretty awesome. I hope, what with Yurneroo bailing out of R2, he doesn't abandon the scene altogether.

Not that there's much left of it really.
Old   #251

off topic

I would recomend everyone arround here to start work on a project that is devided into teams and not people devided into servers teams.

1 Server with main teams Game Content Website Content Management Player Service

If all the hate arround here and greedyness for money were put aside im like 999% sure that there will be an outstanding server that would provide a beast gameplay experience.

Alot of talented people arround here on their own way the problem is they all try to do stuff they dont know its better for those that know their work to do it well and not try to do others job.

1 Server for europe wont matter if people from asia america africa or etc would not play there are plenty people out there on europe that wait for a out there team.

What some people cant understand is having 10000000 servers with good staff wont inprove the gameplay.It will only make it worse due to peoples choice to play on different one.But if there was only 1 Pserver then people would not have a choice but to play there and suggest the stuff they want and hope they recive it like it happens to all the mmorpgs.

I know its inportant to see what players have to say but sometimes what a player sais or suggest can do more harm then good.

PS : I personaly would leave aside greedyness and hateness to start work with people that wana inprove the experience of the game. STOP SEEING ROHAN AS A BUSINESS AND START SEEING IT AS A GAME FOR ALL OF US TO ENJOY.

ANYONE THAT WANA TRY START A PROJECT LIKE THIS LEAVE ME A PM AND WE WILL SEE WHAT WE CAN DO. I DONT CARE IF YOU HATE ME OR NOT IF YOU CAN DO YOUR JOB WELL THATS FINE BY ME YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO TALK TO ME.
Thanks
2 Users
Old   #252

As good a suggestion as it is Dreto, it's never going to happen. Me, you, Req plus a couple of others is fine maybe but who else there really? There's Strike and his crew, if they're still around, who will **** anyone over at the first sight of money. I don't think we would be able to get a fully functional team together who wouldn't betray us.

One of the big problems with Rohan is how broken the balance is. Could we all really agree on how to fix it? There are so many things we could change for the better (and worse) so do you really think a group of us could agree on anything? Yurneroo went so far in his ideas for R2 that I had to make too many concessions and in the end I disagreed with the whole concept of his server. Do you think team members would be able to implement changes that they disagree with? It only takes one unhappy team member then the whole house of cards comes crumbling down.

It's a nice idea Dreto. With your deep effects and client modding, allied with Req's mapserver modding, with my gameplay knowledge, someone deeply skilled in web design and integration plus a good sponsor and advertising, we could create the ultimate server.

But... it really is too late now.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #253

Poor asdf/req's thread is getting so derailed - sorry!

that's a lot of wisdom there Yoda. I think toxic best describes the rohan's developer community for sure. It is not something i would ever want to mire myself in personally. Far to easy to get skewered by one or more Black Knights.

The player base erosion is more a function of the lack of stability in the rohan pserver world. that lack of stability has many causes -- that toxic dev community, YNK's takedown requests, owner greed for fast money and lack of donations. all bring pservers to a screeching halt - along with accounts of players that invested time, effort and money into their accounts on that server. they will only do that so many times before they say fk it and go play LoL, return to official Rohan or go play Aion/Tera/#whateverelse.

if pservers can stay running, they will draw more and more players even if they are not the best. unfortunately as you say the rohan universe doesn't really support this kind of stability for all those reasons up there.
Thanks
1 User
Old   #254

Not really much I can add to what you said Batman. It's true what you said about being skewered by black knights. Take for instance what we were building at DG. Yeah I know the server wasn't perfect and I made some mistakes with balance, I hold my hands up, but at the time it was one of the very few decent non-asian servers out there and we were making progress.

Sadly due to the lack of server protection, it's so easy to steal info from other servers and there were at least 2 servers who "stole" our bin setup. It's easily done through the client files so calling it "stolen" is a bit of a stretch. Still though, it stretched our thin playerbase out even more.

A long term pserver needs a full plan and route map which we have discussed privately Batman. It needs to be setup in an environment away from Steve Lee with owners who have the resolve not to run at the first sign of legal trouble. It needs to be moved along by developers with a specific upgrade path for new items and content to keep the population occupied while at the same time keeping stat inflation and overpowered builds in check. It just needs to be exciting and engaging for the players who play on it.

It needs dedication and integrity from everyone who is working on it. And that's something which is rarer than rocking horse **** around here.
Old   #255

offtopic

Unless some of us are willing to sacrifice some of our ego there wont be a rohan pserver comunity in half year. But a simple fix at people disagreeing its simple make a list each of the post their idea each get 2 votes and cant vote for their own idea.Do it untill theres a winning idea and agree to noone get mad if its not hes idea that won. Or make a random idea generator we add the ideas into a program it spins and then gives us the idea we have to make. (That could also prove usefull with people giving us ideas on it and randomly selecting it)

Thanks
2 Users