Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

You last visited: Today at 04:16

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Advertisement

Performance tuning

Discussion on Performance tuning within the General Gaming Discussion forum part of the General Gaming category.

Old   #1

elite*gold: 0
Danke schon mal im voraus an C&P
MFG Wieselflink

Da ich jetzt immer wieder danach gefragt wurde, hier mal die beiden Threads zu den Einstellungen, die ich im offiziellen Forum gefunden habe

Well I've been digging through the forums for close to two days now and thought I'd save everyone a TON of time by posting everything mentioned so far in a clear "guide"

Important to note that while this WILL work for many of you, it won't work for ALL of you (I'm rolling back my drivers and then defragging after this, but if that doesn't work, it certainly didn't work for me yet)

Also, I don't think that ANY of these tweaks are "supported" so before you do ANYTHING, make a copy of the file you are about to change and save it somewhere in the event that you need to revert back to basics.

I'll try to make this as clear and easy to follow as I can.

#1 GENERAL Tweaks
A) FIRST, be sure to defragment after install. Seriously, this has a HUGE impact on the game's performance.
B) Turn off your AV program and/or Firewall. I know you hate the idea of it but try it, if it doesn't help then you know you can leave it on.
C) Google the program RivaTuner 2.0 and set the card to force shading at 2.0. if anyone else figures this out please let me know. personally I think this program stinks. THIS IS AN ADVANCED TWEAK don't mess with anything else unless you know what you're doing!!!
D) In the in-game settings, change sound settings to "Hardware"
E) In the in-game settings, set the resolution to 1024x768
F) In the in-game settings, turn off HDR
G) NVidia 6xxx series users, Tru using the older "71" series drivers. Linky goodness (Link en francais)
H) ATI users (I'm one myself) by far, ATI users with AMD proc's tend to be having the most problems aside from the Nvidia 6xxx users. I've been told to try the catylist 6.8 drivers (which can be found Here) I am currently using these drivers and still have the older 6.7 driver install program, I can't find it on the web, but I haven't really searched for too long. the original filename is : 6-7_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_34826 so for those who want to try a driver rollback, there you go.
I) Also for ATI peeps, Rumor has it that the Omega drivers () give some folks SIGNIFICANT increases in quality and speed. UPDATE!!! My personal test shows only a ~1 FPS gain and what's worse is that the Omega drivers don't support OC'ing for the 1300+ series of cards. DOUBLE worse is that reverting back to the Catalyst 6.8 drivers no longer allow ATI tool to OC my ATI 1300pro and deleted my openGL drivers which the ATI installer didn't like re-installing (I know, weak card. Give it a rest already)
I) Someone previously suggested starting the client and then Alt+Tabbing to desktop, bringing up the Task Manager, Going to processes, selecting the VGClient.exe file and setting the priority to high. might work for some.
J) TURN OFF Hardware Occulsion while in the field and TURN IT BACK ON in town. The FPS gain in the field (for me) is close to 10!!!

#2 VGCLIENT.INI Tweaks
go to:
[install drive]:\ProgramFiles\Sony\Vanguard\b in\vgclient.ini

Open it using notepad and make the following changes:
AnisotropicFiltering=off (which supposedly works for NVidia folks VERY well) Side Note: ALSO go into your card's propertied and change this there as well
UseJoystick=False (I don't know why but this did give me an extra 3-5 FPS)
UsePrecaching=True (For NVidia folks and some ATI folks, this is the holy grail)
UseTrilinear=False (For some folks this was an incredible boost)
UseCubemaps=False (I only noticed an ugly load screen, the game still looks fine to me)
ReduceMouseLag=False (this has worked for a few folks as well)
UseTripleBuffering=True (Only do this if you also set the vsync)
UseVSync=True (it gave me a few extra FPS)
UseSound=False (You lose the sound but can pick up nearly 5-10 FPS!!!)
Side note: instead of turning sound off you CAN set LowQualitySound=True instead!
GlobalHardwareSkinning=True (gave me a noticable bump 2-5FPS-ish)
TextureDetailWorld=5 (this controls the texture details, raising this to 5-7ish can save you a significant amount of memory and reduce stuttering. This can range from 0-7, 0 being the most detailed textures to 7 being lowest texture detail)
RenderQuality=5 (Setting this to 5 sets the game into "very high" mode but coupled with a higher TextureDetailWorld setting, it will give you the special effects of very high with the memory requirements/stuttering of a low or medium settings)

(NOTE: Changing the in-game drop-down graphics settings to Medium or High (or whatever you change it to) changes BOTH RenderQuality and TextureDetailWorld to their default settings. The trick is to adjust all the in-game settings FIRST, THEN mess with the .ini settings for these two and don't flip between low/med at all in-game since that would reset this change)

Now look for the [Engine.NullRenderDevice] Heading.
There add the line: CacheSizeMegs=64

This is rumored to be the workaround to the sysconfig.ini overwrite issue I'll be mentioning in just a second.

#3 SYSCONFIG.INI Tweaks

When you start Vanguard the autopatcher will scan your filed and update the sysconfig.ini file (but thankfully, not the vgclient.ini file) When it has finished updating you'll have the "PLAY" button.
BEFORE CLICKING ON PLAY!
go to:
[install drive]:\ProgramFiles\Sony\Vanguard\b in\sysconfig.ini

and find the entry that says:
CacheSizeMegs=32 and increase that. Some say use 128, others say 256 and still others say 512. I say to just play with it and find the one that works best for you.

Then click on FILE and SAVE it. THEN click on play.

I hope that this helps everyone. at the very least it SHOULD help cleanup all of the "why are my FPS so low?" posts out there. (I don't mind if you want to sticky this) If the above didn't help you then chances are that you need to upgrade some hardware in your system. First try getting your gaming rig up to around 2G or better of system RAM. After that you might want to consider a full system update.

One final thought. if you are running through a Router, try plugging your computer directly into your modem to bypass and packet filtering that your router might be doing. I've heard rumors that this has helped a few people more than a little.

Finally, I will be adding to this as people send me their own findings and tweaks (or until I lose the abillity to edit the post ot this gets lost somewhere)

See you all in game!
-Ryan-
(Plianthro Umario)

P.S. Sorry to post this here late and cross post this however it seems that the performance forum isn't on my forums page, I need to go into a forum then click on Vanguard Beta 3.0 to get the updated forum list...

Mod @ vsoh.gamona.de
Kontakt:
IRC: irc://irc.gamesurge.net/VSoH/

Fragen die die Welt bewegen - eine kleine FAQ zu Vanguard
Brax ist offline Mit Zitat antworten
Brax
Öffentliches Profil ansehen
Mehr Beiträge von Brax finden
Alt 15.01.2007, 10:33 #2
Brax
Vanguard Staff

Benutzerbild von Brax

Brax eine Nachricht über ICQ schicken

his thread is open to anyone and everyone that can offer suggestions low-end PC performance tips.
================================================== ========
Ive been on a mission to get acceptable FPS without losing some quality. Ive used Mort's Tweak guide for some of these tweaks, and have found others in that guide just do not suite my needs with my video board. I went further and researched the unreal engine, direct 3d and started to tweak my own system.

After about 8 hours, Ive come to the conclusion that the settings I currently have are about the best Im going to get and still have nice graphics. These settings and suggestions are a combination of "Highest Performance", "High Performance" and "Balanced".

WARNING: LCD Monitor users need to read this thoroughly before adjusting settings. Some of these tips are specifically for CRT monitor users, NOT LCD users! Settings such as enabling Vsync on an LCD/Flatpanel may have negative results in FPS

System:

nVidia 6800
AMD 64 3200+
2 GIG DDR 400
SCSI U320 RAID/0

Screen res 1280x1024 @85Hz FPS 20-30 (field) 17-20 (city)

First thing to do, is to either remove or rename your vgclient.ini in your \vanguard\bin folder. This will give you a fresh start and reset all your graphics/audio settings to default.

Upon loggin in, go to "Settings' and to the "Video" tab
Turn "Render Quality" to "High Performance"Turn on "Occlusion" which seems to transition new objects more smoothly with takes no performance hit.
Anisotropy should read "Off"Turn "Far Clipping Plane" to about 55000
Go to the "Audio" tabe and toggle it to "hardware"

Skip down to
"Normal Mapping" and set it to 30% and set "Environmental Detail" 10%
"Environmental Shaders" 1% (dont go any higher than 1. this just turns on pixel shading and you wont notice much of a difference adjusting this higher)

Skip down to
"Atmospheric Distortion" set to 15%and set

"Shadow Detail" set to 1% (same reason as Environmental Shaders)

================================================== =======
General Game Tip: Always try to match game resolution and refresh rates to your desktop. This will help reduce instabilities with alt+tabbing to desktop and playing in window mode when your monitor tries to resynch itself.
Another suggestion I can give those who have CRT monitors like myself (do NOT do this if you use an LCD/flat panel!!), is to force Vanguard into your optimum refresh rate. In other words, if your desktop resolution is 1280x1024 @85hz, the game may drop this refresh to 60 (ive included lines in the .ini to help remedy this). Do the following:

Run DXdiag from "start/run" on your windows taskbar. Go to the last tab when the DX Diagnostic tool comes up that reads "More Help"
Choose the last button "Override" which overrides DDraws refresh rate: *Note* DO NOT SET THIS OUTSIDE OF YOUR MONITORS OPTIMUM RANGE
set the "Override Value" to 85. You will also notice now any game you play will be set to your monitors optimal refresh rate.

Now exit vanguard and open the 'vgclient.ini' in the /vanguard/bin directory. Basically we're only concerned with 4 headings: General, WindDrv.Windowsclient, D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice, and Engine.NullRenderDevice.

Below are the settings that I use. To be on the safe side, just compare your *.ini to what I will show you instead of copy-pasting to ensure proper formatting.

You will notice I use different texture settings for the 'TextureDetail' settings. 7 would be the lowest setting. I use 'Highest Performance' settings for the terrain and for shadow and light mapping.

[General]
HideHood=False
HideHelm=False
UseSound=True
UseJoystick=False
Brightness=0.500000
Contrast=0.500000
Gamma=1.000000
ShowBloom=False
GrassDensity=0.150000
GrassBlending=0
bShowClouds=False
bUseHDR=False
bUseToneMapping=False
bShowNames=True
bShowMyName=False
bShowTargetReticles=True
FlashTargetsName=True
TextureDetailWorld=5
TextureDetailPlayerSkin=5
TextureDetailNPCSkin=5
TextureDetailWeaponSkin=5
TextureDetailTerrain=7
TextureDetailTerrainDetail=7
TextureDetailInterface=0
TextureDetailRenderMap=5
TextureDetailLightmap=7
TextureDetailShadowMap=7
TextureDetailNormalMap=5
TextureDetailBillboard=2
RenderQuality=5
iShaderCacheSizeMB=10
Antialiasing=0
AnisotropicFiltering=0
MaxStaticLights=4
LightComplexity=0.250000
GlobalNormalMap=0.300000
GlobalSpecular=0.500000
GlobalExposure=1.000000
GlobalReflectiveDistance=100000.000000
GlobalRefractiveDistance=20000.000000
GlobalSkeletalLOD=1.000000
GlobalShaderLOD=1.000000
GlobalTreeLODs=0.200000
GlobalShadows=0.010000
GlobalAtmosphere=0.150000
GlobalEnvironment=0.010000
GlobalDecorations=0.100000
bUseOcclusionQuery=True
FarClippingPlane=55912.000000
GlobalTreeLODBlend=False
GlobalSimpleTerrain=True
GlobalHardwareSkinning=False
GlobalAnimationLOD=0.250000

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=1280 (depends on your own monitor resolution)
WindowedViewportY=1024
FullscreenViewportX=1280
FullscreenViewportY=1024
StartupFullscreen=True
ScreenFlashes=True
MinDesiredFrameRate=15.000000
MaxDesiredFrameRate=85.000000 (match this to your monitor refresh rate IF using Vsync)
Decals=True
Coronas=True
DecoLayers=True
Projectors=True
NoDynamicLights=False
ReportDynamicUploads=False
NoFractalAnim=False
ScreenshotsUseJpg=True

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
DetailMode=3
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=False
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=85 (match this setting to your monitor. for LCD it should be 60)
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseStencil=True
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=True
DetailTexMipBias=0.8
DefaultTexMipBias=-0.5
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.0
CheckForOverflow=False
DisableShaderModel3=True
DisableMultiGPUOpt=False
DisableHighDetailShaders=False
Use16BitNormalMaps=false

[Engine.NullRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
DetailMode=Always
UsePrecaching=True
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseStencil=True
NoFractalAnim=False

By all means, if you see a flaw in this LET ME KNOW!

Feel free to add, input, post your own settings. Thats why this thread is here

good luck, and hope this helps!
================================================== =======================================

<hr>Append on Feb 11 2007, 14:06<hr> Um euch das ganze zu erleichtern hab ich meine mal kopiert mit besten einstellungen für die beste leistung einfach stat dem alten ini einfügen

[Version]
VanguardINIVersion=14.1

[FirstRun]
FirstRun=False

[General]
HideHood=False
HideHelm=False
UseSound=True
UseJoystick=False
Brightness=0.500000
Contrast=0.500000
Gamma=1.000000