Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 03:18

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

PlayStation Portable: Sony stops production

Old   #1

elite*gold: 1804
Received Thanks: 2,598
PlayStation Portable: Sony stops production

Approximately ten years past the release of Sony's handheld device PlayStation Portable, the last hour of its lifespan has begun. The manufacturer has now announced that one will stop to deliver the portable console to Europe at the turn of the year, and so the production will be stopped as well. In the United States, the deliveries had already been stopped in last January and Japan will be affected during the next couple of days.

Official announcements are talking about almost 80 million sold units world-wide, which makes the PlayStation Portable one of the most popular and most prevalent consoles of all time, despite the fact that it had also received criticism. The reasons for Sony's decision to stop the production are obvious – the focus is on the console's successor, namely the PlayStation Vita, which has been released in 2011, respectively 2012.

Aside from praise and a lot of awards, the handheld device had also gotten a lot of criticism from developers and users. Accordingly, one has not supported the development teams and even put obstacles in their way sometimes. Moreover, the compliance of release dates and the downloads which were bound to users had also been criticized. But what's your conclusion? Will the PSP be kept in good memory?

Source: PlayStation Portable: Sony beendet Produktion
Attached Thumbnails
PlayStation Portable: Sony stops production-ttsaa.jpg  

Thanks
4 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 121
Received Thanks: 2,039
loved it =)
but the handheld time is over i guess... (nintendo... hey ?) at least for sony

Old   #3

elite*gold: 0
I have a PSP 1000 with a CFW
I use to hack a lot of games with NitePR

Its pretty fun
the old times
Old   #4

elite*gold: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mericat View Post
loved it =)
but the handheld time is over i guess... (nintendo... hey ?) at least for sony
How is the "handheld time over for Sony"? The Vita is still going strong

Old   #5

Too bad that I had not time to try vita out. I have PSP 2004 slim, I still play ps1 games on it time to time.

For me, it has given good memories.
Old   #6

No big surprise there. It's time has come and gone. :\
Old   #7

sold my psp 3001 for psv, somehow regretting it
Old   #8

why
Old   #9

Received Thanks: 1,061
Smartphones are taking over the Handheld scene.

Latest Smartphones have roughly 10 times more power than the PSP-1000 has, not to mention that Android Smartphones emulate PSP games. Even though the FPS is very low on most devices, this just indicates how the Smartphone gaming scene develops quickly and what to expect from it in the future.

The only downside is low battery time, for which PSP still has the upper hand. I still prefer having physical buttons instead of having them across my screen, not to mention the fingerprints and sweat you're leaving on the screen after a while of playing, but all of it is no problem with one of those numerous gaming add-ons for Smartphones, such as Gamepads with holsters, or even Xbox360/PS3 Controller compatibility for certain Apps and Games.
Old   #10

elite*gold: 50
Just when I started to like the PSP they stop to develop it
Old   #11

elite*gold: 26
I hope it wont be expensive
Old   #12

elite*gold: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Flip View Post
Smartphones are taking over the Handheld scene.

Latest Smartphones have roughly 10 times more power than the PSP-1000 has, not to mention that Android Smartphones emulate PSP games. Even though the FPS is very low on most devices, this just indicates how the Smartphone gaming scene develops quickly and what to expect from it in the future.

The only downside is low battery time, for which PSP still has the upper hand. I still prefer having physical buttons instead of having them across my screen, not to mention the fingerprints and sweat you're leaving on the screen after a while of playing, but all of it is no problem with one of those numerous gaming add-ons for Smartphones, such as Gamepads with holsters, or even Xbox360/PS3 Controller compatibility for certain Apps and Games.
Well compare it to a PsP Vita and not a Psp 1000
There is a reason why they stop on old PsP Modell now.
Well most phone games are really crappy though and you will never be able to play games like Monster Hunter Series on Phone with the same feel. Smartphones don't have buttons for more "complicated" games. I think handhelds will always have a reason to be there if smartphones don't get back some more control devices which I kind of doubt.

Maybe some sort of Hybrid phone handheld that will be a phone + handheld?
Old   #13

Now more games come for psvitz?
Old   #14

Rest in peace psp rest in peace...
Old   #15

Ahh I remember when I got my PSP; it's so cool! It was my 1st portable console besides gameboy, I found the graphics amazing and the games were really nice as well! PSP crashed quite often, had a lot of bugs, but generally it gave me so much fun that I'm really happy with buying it. Well, it's prime time is certainly over, but I think PSP is cool.

Tags
psp