Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 12:29

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

eSport: Pro-gamers get Visa for the USA

Old   #1

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 5,337
eSport: Pro-gamers get Visa for the USA

The eSports sector is gaining evermore popularity and recognition these days. Until quite recently, professional gamers were frowned and dumped upon - quite the opposite is happening now, as its fanbase is constantly growing and as skilled gamers are acknowledged as professional athletes. USA's government now takes another step further: pro-gamers of multi-player online battle arena game "League of Legends" (LoL) - which is developed by Riot Games - are accepted as real sportsmen and are given visa, if they are participating at competitions or tournaments and if they have to travel across the country. Besides, this visa allowes foreign gamers to work in the country as well, said Nick Allen - eSports manager of Riot Games.

Dustin Beck - eSports vice president of Riot Games - describes mentioned changes as "milestone", because eSports is now an officially accepted form of sport. It is now treated equally like the NBA, NHL and other professional leagues. Gamers from other countries are also allowed to join US-American teams. "It is as if David Beckham would switch to LA Galaxy", said Beck. Furthermore he said, that it's been a long way to recognition. It had to be proven, that pro-gamers could make a career and a living. One of many barriers was the mistrust of society for this form of sports and its consistence. For instance, the All-Star events in May 2013 in Shanghai have clearly shown the extent of eGaming nowadays. The audience consisted of more than 18 million people, and the number is still growing.

Danny Le - better known as Shiphtur - has already made use of those changes. He switched to the US-American "Team Coast". What do you think of the growing acceptance for eSports? Share your opinions and discuss about decisions made by the US government.

Attached Thumbnails
eSport: Pro-gamers get Visa for the USA-image.php.jpg  

Thanks
1 User
Old   #2

elite*gold: 1862
Received Thanks: 7,671
I do some sport.

Old   #3

elite*gold: 834
where do i have to go to get paid for playing games? LOL...

its a joke if this is rlly called a "sport"...
Old   #4

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 5,337
So true.

Old   #5

elite*gold: 1359
The Black Market: 260/0/0
eSports is awesome. It is equivalent in the amount of physical stress it puts on its players than any of the other sports. Sure eSports doesn't require any blatant forms of physical exertion but your body is stressed to the same levels as any athlete.

To compare eSports to chess or poker would be doing competitive gaming a disservice. It is maybe halfway between "recreational" competitive events like chess, and athletic sports like football.
Old   #6

elite*gold: 0
Chess is as stressful as gaming.
Old   #7

If there could be chess ,so could be eSports.
Old   #8
Sapere aude

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 10,463
Might be as stressful as some other (real) sports but it will never need the physical strength, which other sports require. For me this will never be a real sport.
Old   #9

elite*gold: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
Might be as stressful as some other (real) sports but it will never need the physical strength, which other sports require. For me this will never be a real sport.
sitting down upwards of 8 hours+ a day concentrating requires plenty of physical strength.
Old   #10
Sapere aude

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDreamer View Post
sitting down upwards of 8 hours+ a day concentrating requires plenty of physical strength.
I hope you meant this comment as a joke. Even a physical weak person is easily able to sit in front of his pc and play for up to 15 hours. That has nothing to do with physical strength, you don't really need a lot of muscles to sit on a chair and concentration has nothing to do with physical power.
Old   #11

pff jokul
Old   #12

I'm pretty biased because of how much I've always loved gaming, but I anticipate society accepting it as a sport sooner or later. The more the fan-base grows, the more accepting society will become. Try and shun us when we start achieving bigger audiences than Superbowls.

Tags
esports, lol, riot