Register for your free account! | Forgot your password?

Go Back   elitepvpers > News & More > Gaming News > Gaming News - EN
You last visited: Today at 18:50

• Please register to post and access all features, it's quick, easy and FREE!

Steam: Game-Sharing with Friends?

Old   #1

elite*gold: 1
Received Thanks: 5,337
Steam: Game-Sharing with Friends?

Everyone knows it and many of you are using it: the digital distribution platform Steam. Unlike with well-known retail games, it is not possible to share games with friends unless you pass your personal account data to them. But this might change quite soon! The beta client of Steam's software now contains an interesting three-line code, which truly speaks volumes. Grief.exe - a NeoGAF user - was the first to discover following lines:

Code:
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerT ext" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerTe xt" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

As you can see, this code is probably about a button labelled "Shared game library" and two error messages that might appear when starting a game, which is marked as "loaned".

What do you think about this function? Wouldn't it decrease the number of sales drastically?
Please keep in mind, that Steam has not said anything regarding this matter and that it is not ensured, that this possibility will be available for everyone.

Attached Images

Thanks
8 Users
Old   #2

elite*gold: 0
Would be great to see that implemented.

Old   #3
Sapere aude

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 10,476
I kinda doubt that it would decrease the number of sales.

Quote:
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerT ext" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
Because only one person is able to play at the same time.

I think it's a good idea to add such a system to steam. It may even increase the number of sales.
Old   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
I kinda doubt that it would decrease the number of sales.

Because only one person is able to play at the same time.

I think it's a good idea to add such a system to steam. It may even increase the number of sales.
I don't think so. People will continue to buy games even they share them, this is my opinion. I'm not going to open threads in forums like "Share Black Ops II with me and I share Black Ops I with you".

Old   #5

Nah, at least they can try a game before buying it... which means i borrow a game that i want to play, if i like it i will buy it. if i don't , then thanks for letting me try it out. this is a good stuff that can increase sales. Because then those people will stop complaining about "I expected this to be better" by watching trailers/gameplay videos... and then "My friend said it's recommended" but i think this game is really bad and more stuff... So with this new system that IF they implement it we can try games before we buy it if we can find a owner to lend us theirs for limited time.
Old   #6
Sapere aude

elite*gold: 6851
The Black Market: 186/0/0
Received Thanks: 10,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmircea95 View Post
I don't think so. People will continue to buy games even they share them, this is my opinion. I'm not going to open threads in forums like "Share Black Ops II with me and I share Black Ops I with you".
That's more or less what I meant. That's why I said it won't decrease the sales.

Tags
steam